What's new

He Has Risen

dirtyshawa

All of that said, it doesn't change the fact that Easter is celebrated by those that follow Christ and in no way is still linked to it's pagan roots. Sure, there might be an abundance of rabbits and other symbolism, but that is not the fault of believers, but rather the fault of those who wish to turn it into another money making holiday like Christmas. And yes, I do believe that is the work of Satan himself. That doesn't change the fact that I will continue to celebrate the resurrection of the man who I believe to be God incarnate on this date.

you have to blame the Romans for the intertwining of the pagan holidays with Christianity. when they came to the realization that Christ was the real deal they tried to change accordingly but, old habits die hard, to make it simple. the sabbath is really on Saturday but, most people go to church and recognize Sunday as the sabbath. they say history is written by those who've won the wars and indeed Rome was on top of the world, but, still they were savages. no disrespect God bless

Brother Bear

Simple kynd of man
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A holy man was having a conversation with the Lord one day and said,
'Lord, I would like to know what Heaven and Hell are like.'

The Lord led the holy man to two doors.
He opened one of the doors and the holy man looked in. In the middle of
the room was a large round table. In the middle of the table was a
large pot of stew, which smelled delicious and made the holy man's mouth
water.

The people sitting around the table were thin and sickly. They appeared
to be famished. They were holding spoons with very long handles that
were strapped to their arms and each found it possible to reach into the
pot of stew and take a spoonful. But because the handle was longer than
their arms, they could not get the spoons back into their mouths.
The holy man shuddered at the sight of their misery and suffering.

The Lord said, 'You have seen Hell..'

They went to the next room and opened the door. It was exactly the same
as the first one. There was the large round table with the large pot of
stew which made the holy man's mouth water. The people were equipped
with the same long-handled spoons, but here the people were well
nourished and plump, laughing and talking. The holy man said, 'I don't
understand.'

It is simple,' said the Lord. 'It requires but one skill. You see they
have learned to feed each other, while in the other room the greedy think only of themselves.'

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
What a strange planet indeed. How do you link eating chocolate and ham with the death by crucifixion and "resurrection" of a spiritual teacher from 2000+/- years ago?

This is the stuff great science-fiction and fantasy stories are based on.

Live your life in accordance with the teachings, not the cult of personality, and you shall be free...

Moldy Dreads

Veteran
I don't think I could possible celebrate "Easter" and reference Christ in the same sense.

A bit of research would tell you that Easter, named so for the goddess of fertility, Eostre, was an ancient pagan fertility festival. It is said in mythology that this goddess had a son, Tammuz, who was born of the sun god and the moon god. Tammuz was fond of rabbits, and was killed by a wild boar. Thus a festival was began in his honor, and it was stated that a pig should be eaten because that is what killed Tammuz. It also is why rabbits are so common place, and also because they are a sign of fertility.

How all this got to be integrated into main stream Christianity...is beyond me. How this holiday falls and is celebrated at the same time as the death of Christ...is also quite convenient... much like having Christmas to focus on rather than the birth of Christ.

I am not professing anything or stating my particular beliefs one way or the other...HOWEVER, I do find it ironic and moronic that a Christian would want to celebrate on what is supposed to be a day for remember their savior and His death...and what that essentially means for them as Christians...would take part in a ritual or festival or "holiday", that is grounded in Pagan practice and whole intent is to give honor to another god(s)...

Just saying...doesn't make much sense to me.

dank.Frank

Just thank God for forgiving our sins and helping us keep the faith that there is something better for us after this life.

U

ureapwhatusow

funny we all experienced POT PREJUDICE and im sure we all hate it

but at the first chance ppl get to pass it on to someone else cause its something that makes no sense they do it, treat them with prejudice

exspecially when it omes to religion here on IC

I personaly think that someone who wants/seeks/needs religion to keep their focus on humanity (love thy neighbor as if it were yourself) is far more appealing as a prospective neighbor than someone whos only belief is in their own personal welfare.

I am not threatened by another persons differences or beliefs, how they think doesnt change my reality

comming into a thread like this to spew anit christian shit is like going to an amsterdam coffee shop to protest marijuana smoking

fucking ironic that most major sects of christianity are supporting medical marijuana

im glad to know there are people out there that think its a life worth being grateful for

dont matter how they got to that perspecitve its a good one to have

C

Classyathome

I'm anti-religion, not anti personal beliefs. I rail against the machine, not the faithful.

All religions are equally as valid in my book - worship god, allah or a tree. Whatever floats your boat.

But I worship none - and still try to live by the universal "do unto others" rule.

I require no god/crutch - I assume total responsibility for my actions, and expect neither heaven or hell as an unwanted/unwarranted reward.

But be respectful of others goes 2 ways - I won't hit anyone on the head with my atheist views, as long as they don't put their foot in my door pushing theirs.

Be excellent to each other - please...

U

ureapwhatusow

I'm anti-religion, not anti personal beliefs. I rail against the machine, not the faithful.

All religions are equally as valid in my book - worship god, allah or a tree. Whatever floats your boat.

But I worship none - and still try to live by the universal "do unto others" rule.

I require no god/crutch - I assume total responsibility for my actions, and expect neither heaven or hell as an unwanted/unwarranted reward.

But be respectful of others goes 2 ways - I won't hit anyone on the head with my atheist views, as long as they don't put their foot in my door pushing theirs.

I chuckled at zombie christ, it came off as intended, side of the neck, par for the course stoner commentary.

Stoners are cynics, rigthfully so but it got tiring by the catholic robbed the pagans post.

Not only is this old news, same shit every year, ect and so forth, but beyond the tiring rehtoric, as you can see there isn't anything productive behind it

but i do expect alot out of this community more so than from others

perhaps this is where i am at fault

keep on keepin on

C

Cerb

Religion, as I said above, is a vile thing. Religion goes further than the teachings of a prophet, messiah, or god. Religion is a set of rules that extends past what, in my case, my lord taught. I'm lucky enough to have found a group of people who worship in the same manner as I do. I follow what was said by Christ and his closest companions. Nothing more.

U

ureapwhatusow

Religion, as I said above, is a vile thing. Religion goes further than the teachings of a prophet, messiah, or god. Religion is a set of rules that extends past what, in my case, my lord taught. I'm lucky enough to have found a group of people who worship in the same manner as I do. I follow what was said by Christ and his closest companions. Nothing more.

and letting ppl know that in a celebratory thread is tasteless and classless, no one forced this thread on you so why force your opinion?

cause your a narcisitic self serving self cnetric person who feesl hes supreme enough to perceive the truth for us all

if you could handle your pychadelics, conscience and manners like a man you wouldnt justify doing the same thing religion obviously does for you and thats rain on your parade

dont worry you gonna get back what you put out there, sometimes exponentially

On an up note if my zombie nomenclature is up to par zombie christ only eats those humans he encounters that have a pulse and a brain

you got nothing to worry about

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
All of that said, it doesn't change the fact that Easter is celebrated by those that follow Christ and in no way is still linked to it's pagan roots. Sure, there might be an abundance of rabbits and other symbolism, but that is not the fault of believers, but rather the fault of those who wish to turn it into another money making holiday like Christmas. And yes, I do believe that is the work of Satan himself. That doesn't change the fact that I will continue to celebrate the resurrection of the man who I believe to be God incarnate on this date.

Umm...the rabbits and the ham...that is a direct spin off of the pagan holiday. The son of the Sun god and the moon goddess....Tammuz...was fond of rabbits, and was killed by a wild boar...thus the reason for the rabbits and the "easter ham"...the pagans ate ham to pay tribute to Tammuz...so why would continuing that tradition not be directly tied to pagan practice?

And really to everyone else. I didn't come in here to bash or trash any religion or anyones particular belief. I honestly don't think that discussing things of a philosophical nature and exploring historical events and accuracies is attacking or demeaning or belittling to anyone. In fact, I think it is quite and healthy exercise to have our beliefs challenged...it helps an individual become more familiar with why he/she does in fact hold to their ideology...If our thoughts and practices were forever uncontested Jesus would have never come in the first place to set things back on track...right? So why would it be wrong or confrontational to have an open discussion, which is exactly how I viewed it, as a thought provoking conversation...nothing more and nothing less.

I don't think that raising questions that are contrary to the norm is a detriment to anyone on this forum...

I would rather like to think that people are capable of embracing this thread rather than shying away from it....much good comes from a comparing and contrasting of ideas and concepts...

My point was and is not to say, "You are not a Christian if you do this...", but rather to say, "Why if you are a Christian, would you do this..."

An explanation has been given...tradition of the world is what is more important. It doesn't matter if you pay homage to other gods...as long as you "love" others....not sure that is what is biblically accurate...but whatever. As long as you sleep at night....

Either way...I find very few, IF ANY, Christian religions that follow the Bible to a "T"...although that is supposed to be the book their entire foundations are based on. I think far too often..that is how my granny did it...and I'm not changing...is religion and Christianity....not what the Bible says...

Although, I have found one that does...but most say they are too legalistic.. or they take the Bible to literally....hmmmm...go figure.

dank.Frank

del...

The Christian church in their early days made it common practice to take pagan holidays and recycle them. Many, many holidays were began in the same manner. I don't see a problem with it.

"How this holiday falls and is celebrated at the same time as the death of Christ...is also quite convenient"

I'm not sure what you are getting at, but I'm reading this as you believing that Christ died conveniently around this pagan holiday, and that Christians believe that he truly resurrected on that very day. If this is what you are saying, it is especially odd considering that Easter is a mobile holiday. It's symbolic, just as is Christmas. Jesus didn't rise on Easter day, and he wasn't born on December 25th.

"I do find it ironic and moronic..."

actually easter is tied to passover, which is why it floats. the story tells us mr christ and his disciples entered jerusalem over passover and he was arrested and killed a couple days later.

C

Cerb

and letting ppl know that in a celebratory thread is tasteless and classless, no one forced this thread on you so why force your opinion?

cause your a narcisitic self serving self cnetric person who feesl hes supreme enough to perceive the truth for us all

if you could handle your pychadelics, conscience and manners like a man you wouldnt justify doing the same thing religion obviously does for you and thats rain on your parade

dont worry you gonna get back what you put out there, sometimes exponentially

On an up note if my zombie nomenclature is up to par zombie christ only eats those humans he encounters that have a pulse and a brain

you got nothing to worry about

I'm sorry? I'm not sure if you caught it, but I'm on your side. Read the thread, then read again what you somehow managed to misunderstand. I'm the last person who wants to argue against faith. I'm not in the business of giving negative rep, but it took a lot for me to not.

C

Cerb

It doesn't matter if you pay homage to other gods...as long as you "love" others....not sure that is what is biblically accurate...but whatever. As long as you sleep at night....

I'm not sure what you don't understand. I'm not paying homage to any god other than my own. Are you saying I do because I celebrate on what was once a pagan holiday?

Either way...I find very few, IF ANY, Christian religions that follow the Bible to a "T"...although that is supposed to be the book their entire foundations are based on. I think far too often..that is how my granny did it...and I'm not changing...is religion and Christianity....not what the Bible says...

Although, I have found one that does...but most say they are too legalistic.. or they take the Bible to literally....hmmmm...go figure.

This is exactly what I meant when I said religion is vile and I was misunderstood. I follow what the bible says, and nothing else. Many religions, despite the fact that they say they follow the bible, will often push other beliefs onto you. I don't dig that.

C

Cerb

This thread is obviously going nowhere. It was started in good faith, and degraded to name calling by post #4. I hope those that have a problem with someone's faith in Christ can find it in there hearts to go elsewhere.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm not sure what you don't understand. I'm not paying homage to any god other than my own. Are you saying I do because I celebrate on what was once a pagan holiday?

This is exactly what I meant when I said religion is vile and I was misunderstood. I follow what the bible says, and nothing else. Many religions, despite the fact that they say they follow the bible, will often push other beliefs onto you. I don't dig that.

Okay...feel that. And for the record, this is for the purpose of discussion, not pointing fingers or attacking or any other reason...simply minds coming together on a topic...discussion.

To say that you follow the Bible...that is a bold statement...

To attempt to keep this into the context of what is posted in this thread, and to not stray too far from the point...I'll only use a simple example of what has been mentioned here...and not others. And please keep in mind, I am not professing my own beliefs, but rather have studied world religions in depth in a bit of searching of my own, and this translates into a bit of knowledge about the Bible and Christianity as a whole...so I am in no way attempting to prove any point or prove a right or a wrong. As stated, simply discussion...once again, I think this type of thought provoking, mind-stretching conversation is advantageous...

Part of the Easter celebration is an easter ham. ONE because it is in the tradition of the pagan festival, this much I have explained. Why someone who follow the bible would eat any form of pig at all, should be questioned in my opinion.

I know Leviticus Ch. 11 states all the animals that are "clean" and unclean, and the unclean are those of which we are not to eat. "Swine" or pig, is a part of the list of "unclean" animals in which we are not to eat. So...eating a Easter ham is not only homage to the original pagan festival, but also directly against the teachings and instructions of the bible and God himself...

I once again, find this to be very interesting...this is the case at Christmas time as well..."holiday ham"... both instances seem to me, once again, to be a very clever and tactful act of a master of deception whose sole purpose is to get humanity to act in defiance of God...

Also interesting that both the holidays, Christmas and Easter, are supposed to be rooted in Christianity and in remembrance of Jesus...and ham is traditionally eaten...lol.

Anyway...would love to hear your thoughts on this. Once again, not stating my own personal beliefs...just encouraging discussion and stating what I would consider to be a biblically intelligent/sound stand point...

dank.Frank

U

ureapwhatusow

I'm sorry? I'm not sure if you caught it, but I'm on your side. Read the thread, then read again what you somehow managed to misunderstand. I'm the last person who wants to argue about religion. I'm not in the business of giving negative rep, but it took a lot for me to not.

perhaps it is my perception but i have an issue wiht religion is vile in a lets celebrate a religiosu holiday thread

my reponse was not personally directed at you (yeah it took that shape) and normally i re read and edit an personal slights but it seems more and more threads are taking this course.

this casual off topic shit is all fun and play but many i mean MANY a good thread with real solid info is gone from the board forever due to the critical and combative posts that were borne from the same manner

C

Cerb

Okay...feel that. And for the record, this is for the purpose of discussion, not pointing fingers or attacking or any other reason...simply minds coming together on a topic...discussion.

To say that you follow the Bible...that is a bold statement...

To attempt to keep this into the context of what is posted in this thread, and to not stray too far from the point...I'll only use a simple example of what has been mentioned here...and not others. And please keep in mind, I am not professing my own beliefs, but rather have studied world religions in depth in a bit of searching of my own, and this translates into a bit of knowledge about the Bible and Christianity as a whole...so I am in no way attempting to prove any point or prove a right or a wrong. As stated, simply discussion...once again, I think this type of thought provoking, mind-stretching conversation is advantageous...

Part of the Easter celebration is an easter ham. ONE because it is in the tradition of the pagan festival, this much I have explained. Why someone who follow the bible would eat any form of pig at all, should be questioned in my opinion.

I know Leviticus Ch. 11 states all the animals that are "clean" and unclean, and the unclean are those of which we are not to eat. "Swine" or pig, is a part of the list of "unclean" animals in which we are not to eat. So...eating a Easter ham is not only homage to the original pagan festival, but also directly against the teachings and instructions of the bible and God himself...

I once again, find this to be very interesting...this is the case at Christmas time as well..."holiday ham"... both instances seem to me, once again, to be a very clever and tactful act of a master of deception whose sole purpose is to get humanity to act in defiance of God...

Also interesting that both the holidays, Christmas and Easter, are supposed to be rooted in Christianity and in remembrance of Jesus...and ham is traditionally eaten...lol.

Anyway...would love to hear your thoughts on this. Once again, not stating my own personal beliefs...just encouraging discussion and stating what I would consider to be a biblically intelligent/sound stand point...

dank.Frank

The old testament was written before the time of Christ. Many of its teachings were changed when Christ fulfilled the new covenant. Mathew spoke of this; "not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man, but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man."

This is also mentioned in Acts 10:

The next day, as they went on their journey and drew near the city, Peter went up on the housetop to pray, about the sixth hour. Then he became very hungry and wanted to eat; but while they made ready, he fell into a trance and saw heaven opened and an object like a great sheet bound at the four corners, descending to him and let down to the earth. In it were all kinds of four-footed animals of the earth, wild beasts, creeping things, and birds of the air. And a voice came to him, “Rise, Peter; kill and eat.” But Peter said, “Not so, Lord! For I have never eaten anything common or unclean.”
And a voice spoke to him again the second time, “What God has cleansed you must not call common.”

C

Cerb

perhaps it is my perception but i have an issue wiht religion is vile in a lets celebrate a religiosu holiday thread

my reponse was not personally directed at you (yeah it took that shape) and normally i re read and edit an personal slights but it seems more and more threads are taking this course.

this casual off topic shit is all fun and play but many i mean MANY a good thread with real solid info is gone from the board forever due to the critical and combative posts that were borne from the same manner

Maybe it was off base to denounce religion in general. Many faiths are based on the religion that they follow. That doesn't change the fact that I wasn't being derogatory, nor was I trying to insult anyone in this thread, especially not those of faith. I'm a follower of Christ and his teachings. You insulted me personally as a result of a misunderstanding on your part.

Latest posts

Latest posts