What's new

Haze Discussion Thread continued

CannaT

starin' at the world through my rearview
Premium user
fetch?id=18091151&d=1646560190.jpg
fetch?id=18091152&d=1646560191.jpg
fetch?id=18091153&d=1646560191.jpg

Jack Herer regular Sensi Seeds O.Haze pheno.

JohnnyChicago

Dominant NL genes I would say when I see the variegation. :) But that's a personal opinion and not pejorative.

Flower color and structure of your NLHaze looks good. Reminds me old NH a little, but also the "A2" that was going around in southern Holland ca. 1998-2003. May be it's that one, if you are sure it is getting kept since long time.?

CannaT

starin' at the world through my rearview
Premium user
Dominant NL genes I would say when I see the variegation. :) But that's a personal opinion and not pejorative.

Flower color and structure of your NLHaze looks good. Reminds me old NH a little, but also the "A2" that was going around in southern Holland ca. 1998-2003. May be it's that one, if you are sure it is getting kept since long time.?

Thanks for the contribution, Im not shure that it is that old JC, but im 100% shure that guy that provided me a cutting doesn't have any reason to lie. ;)

I tought that it is the Haze trait....but Im not expert on this topic as you are.....This one have biggest vigor of all 26 mothers and dosent like to be topped...so thats reason i was thinking that it is O.Haze....

Like those old school heads informations. :good:

Can you describe more that A2 cutting....?

Its sister to A5 or a5 x (XY) ?

Sub24ox7

Click image for larger version  Name:	DBA0E665-9A84-4686-AED2-A9C0989E8606.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	38.1 KB ID:	18091511
This old nh and ak47 seed I have tried to germinate are still dry inside lol so I cracked them manually and will place inside a warm moist paper towel unless someone else has more 💡 ideas (please) ✌️
Embryos are still supple and firm dry. They look viable. Dude had them in a freezer for like 22 years, the least I can do is give every effort I can👍👍
I have done this before when I first started growing as a teen and had very old seed lol that I kept trying to germinate. Finally cracked them manually and added them to a warm moist paper towel a few were finessed to completion. If someone knows more I would love to hear.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cracking seeds yourself will save many seeds. I do it on any seeds that do not crack after soaking for 36hrs. Most seeds are viable but the perianth is fused won't let moisture in or cant crack to let the tap root out.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
You have a few options in trying to germinate old seed regardless if stored correctly or not they all need a helping hand.

1/ The coconut water method.

Boil water and then let it cool fill a 1Lt bottle and add 20 mil of 100% organic coconut water and shake.

Fill a glass with the mix place seed in that let them soak for 24 hours then place the seed into a towel and keep seed at a temp of say 28c. I use Tupperware with the lid cracked open.

2/ Use a Seed-Start formula just google and look for one in your country.

Total Potassium (K) (as organic)2667 mg/L
Calcium (Ca)4.13%
Sulfur (S)1.24%
Magnesium (Mg)734 mg/L
Iron (Fe)160 mg/L
Zinc (Zn)71 mg/L
Manganese (Mn)64 mg/L
Molybdenum (Mo)8 mg/L
SG1.1
pH8 – 9
Conductivity5 – 15 mS/cm
AppearanceThick brown liquid

3/ This Option would be the option i would be using for seed not stored in a fridge or freezer.

Last time i looked this was selling for $99 US.

Good luck.

herbgreen

Veteran
Reminds me of this I ran across today.....:D

https://pepperhead.com/shop/seed-germination-accelerator/

Seed Germination Accelerator

This seed germination accelerator is a special type of salt (NO, not table salt) that you mix with distilled water and soak the seeds for 12 hours to jump start germination. Osmotic priming, or halopriming, has been scientifically proven[SUP]1[/SUP] to shorten germination times. We highly recommended you use this technique, almost required, for these tricky to germinate super hot pepper seeds.
Seed Priming Benefits
  • Softens seed shell for easier and quicker germination
  • Significantly fewer “helmet heads”
  • Breaks seed dormancy and jump starts germination[SUP]1[/SUP]
  • Increases initial height of seedlings[SUP]1[/SUP]
  • Increases fresh shoot weight[SUP]1[/SUP]
  • Improves seedling survival ability[SUP]1[/SUP]
Directions
  1. Empty entire contents into 1 Liter of distilled water. Shake well and shake before each use. Mixed solution has no expiration date. It lasts indefinitely.
  2. Label container clearly and keep away from children.
  3. First soak seeds in a 50/50 mixture of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide and water for 5 min, drain, then soak seeds in solution for 12 hrs.
  4. Rinse and immediately sow indoors using your preferred method (paper towel method).
  5. Superhot pepper seeds need 80-85° F to germinate.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That seems excessive when all that's needed is to crack the Shell(perianth). I've seen seeds get soggy but can't crack enough or at all. Once they get that soggy its over.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Nothings is excessive if you can save a valuable seed.

The liquid that drys up in the seed embryo case in old seed are hormones and enzymes the that seed uses to start life.

Yes you can remove the seed embryo and remove the embryo case that is stuck to the seed embryo and try to get it to fire and i have done this my self but odds are not good.

The Coconut water and the other methods i posted replace those lost hormones and enzymes and that's why they work and increase your odds nothing in life's 100% but going from zero germ to almost 40% made me a convert.

JohnnyChicago

My best method has been to scarify the seeds, soak them 24h, put them into medium (one that does not mold ideally) , keep it moist and wait at least 40 days for the seeds to show up.
Had a 20% germ rate where a friend had 5 or 8% on exact the saem very old seeds, using coconut water etc.

The first seed popped after 1 week or so.
The second few days later.
Few weeks later a third that I was not expecting and died.
Day 35 or so, the last one. :)

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I've always wondered about taking extra cannabis or even hemp seeds and sprouting them and make Seed Sprout tea. Supposed to be most of the same benefits of young coconut water, but I would think the enzymatic action would be more dialed in to the specific needs of cannabis.
I'm sure I have seeds that I can spare for this experiment.
Plus I have a giant bag of fiber hemp seeds

Piff_cat

i think your correct its the haze. you say it has most vigor?? the varigation/mosaic could be caused by trisomy. aka 1 extra chromosome. it would throw the gene dosage off accounting for that extra vigor. the trait is usually passed down by mothers but not thru pollen. ive always believed jack herer has haze b female in it. interesting stuff man i really like your nl haze cut too got some important stuff goin on

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
I've always wondered about taking extra cannabis or even hemp seeds and sprouting them and make Seed Sprout tea. Supposed to be most of the same benefits of young coconut water, but I would think the enzymatic action would be more dialed in to the specific needs of cannabis.
I'm sure I have seeds that I can spare for this experiment.
Plus I have a giant bag of fiber hemp seeds

People make them out of beans to lots of info online.

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
Cracking seeds yourself will save many seeds. I do it on any seeds that do not crack after soaking for 36hrs. Most seeds are viable but the perianth is fused won't let moisture in or cant crack to let the tap root out.

What’s the process you use to manually crack them? I have shaky hands 😆

Fitzera

What’s the process you use to manually crack them? I have shaky hands 😆

I've heard people do it with their teeth, others use the end of a sharpie where it's recessed, other use an actual seed cracker. I've not had to do myself yet so I can't say the best way.

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
Here’s what’s poking about in my yard atm

Click image for larger version  Name:	8BC0CF6D-FD74-4D84-B628-A64A5A74A546.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	164.3 KB ID:	18092636

A couple close ups.

Click image for larger version  Name:	F61FFAAB-46AA-4A59-9CE2-237C9E009ECE.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	151.0 KB ID:	18092637

The only Thunk of 4. 2 more are still in peat pellets on a heating mat. Had to throw one away because I saw a little green mold forming where the seed should have been. That’s why I wonder if it is worth trying to fish them out and manually open them. It’s been almost three weeks since I started them.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1E40F108-3F0F-4AF7-8C84-768966B6820A.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	162.3 KB ID:	18092638

Really know nothing about these other than they were either Seedbay or boo freebies (I think). State they are F3’s of 1998 NLHz. 10 years old or more. 3 of 3 popped.

Click image for larger version  Name:	E2E83A68-8ED0-4B3B-BFCB-C059A68538B2.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	174.6 KB ID:	18092639

Here’s the ICMag OH.