What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hawaiian Sativas

kalopatchkid

Veteran
You can keep plants in veg outdoor by just having a cheap light that turns on in the middle of the night to divide up the dark period. Works good and is cheaper than a dedicated indoor space since electricity is so expensive here. Less size constraints too when you veg outdoor.

You can grow big plants in Hawaii but there are benefits to not growing really huge plants like being able to squeeze more harvests in per year by reducing veg time, easier to manage, more discreet, etc.

Lots of people growing in many different styles here...if you haven't seen Oldhaole's threads on this forum, you should look them up for some insight. He's been growing outdoor here for a long time and his threads are good reads.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Thank you for the reply. That is awesome. I will take the appropriate measures to maintain the proper light cycles and do some testing to see which is the best way to grow longer flowering sativas outdoors. I guess that is why you never see pictures of plants in HI as large as you do of plants grown at a more northern latitude. I think like the idea of smaller plants to maintain quality produce so this works just fine for me.

If all goes accordingly i'd like to have some greenhouses with the supplemental lights aswell as a built in light dep system but I also don't want to miss out on the experience of growing outdoors naturally, especially in a tropical paradise where you would imagine these things growing in the wild.

Is there proper month of the year to start long flowering sativa directly from seed outside that would make for the best possible outcome, or is it purely at the discretion of the grower?

One has to take the monsoon into account in the tropics , you dont want to have flowering plants then ,
best to plant around the longest day so they are still veging during those rainy months ,
or even as the monsoon is ending ,

planting too early and having the plants start to flower and then reveg wastes energy ,

better to wait until the days are longer to avoid that ...

I was just reading how starting your long flowering sativas in hawaii to coincide with the beginning of the short season may be the best method for growing them. I will deffinately have to do some research to find the right location and to avoid problems with humidity and rain aswell as some personal testing on my part to find the best method for succesful harvests of sativas and indicas alike in hawaii, it sure does interest me and i can't wait to get started growing

a sincere thanks for your reply

Lolo94

I was just reading how starting your long flowering sativas in hawaii to coincide with the beginning of the short season may be the best method for growing them. I will deffinately have to do some research to find the right location and to avoid problems with humidity and rain aswell as some personal testing on my part to find the best method for succesful harvests of sativas and indicas alike in hawaii, it sure does interest me and i can't wait to get started growing

a sincere thanks for your reply

There are several short seasons depending on the strain you're growing. Some 90 day or less wonders could be grown any time of the year and still produce in 90 days or less.

As far as growing large sativas, most old timers i knew would start in early spring and harvest from november through January. After the early 80s though, there weren't that many large sativas grown because of green harvest. I knew several growers that kept old SE Asian clones for their personal stash while growing 90 day wonders for sale. South African and Swaziland sativa plants became more popular in the 80s due to their smaller size and in some. cases light green color. The Swazi and swahili could be camo'd fairly easily by Uluhe (native fern)as long as they werent too big and the trails weren't obvious from the sky. The wild pigs also didn't like going thru Uluhe, so it kept them from turning healthy plants into stalks.

If you want to avoid humidity and rain your choices will be fairly limited. In my experience though, the real dry areas didn't produce any better weed than the wetter areas at least as far as the strains i tried on the big island. It might have looked better though. The higher elevation weed was the clearest.

Really great reply, thank you for taking the time out to speak with me. I will keep in mind to start my sativas in spring as you recommend. Although I've never been to Hawaii and i'm not very familiar with the land I guess I will have to find a place that "feels right" to me with an emphasis on higher land which is also nice to avoid flooding caused by possible hurricanes. I can see it now, beautiful hawaiian hillsides and greenhouses filled with primo and nice outdoor sativas aswell. Much respect.

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
Here's a suggestion. Come on vacation and stay in different locations.
We did that for 8 years and found that beachfront is too hot for comfort. Mauka gets really good between 1000 and 2000 feet elevation. At least on Hualalai. We call it the "arthritis zone".
Beeg guy's land has the lowest population density but we are short on dirt. It's mostly lava rock.
Electricity cost are high so we just use the sun and tack on a couple hours of LED light at dawn or dusk until they are half as tall as we want. Different hybrids will have different needs so it may take a while to make them comfortable here. Once you know them well growing here is a breeze.
Just read all of Old Haole's advice. That worked a treat for me.

Aloha and E komo mai,
Weezard

Thank you very much for such a thoughtful response, I will do just that. I was looking mainly at Oahu for it's infrastructure and less active volcanos than on the big island, it seems the general consensus is to find higher land, it is a real honor to be welcomed to the hawaiian islands especially by the locals. I'll do my best to support the community in as many ways as possible and to the best of my ability.

Is it just me or does it seem like the power companies on hawaii are corrupt?
It almost seems like to much of a coincidence that the prices on hawaii are abnormally high
almost like the people have no choice but to pay such outrageous prices.

I started getting this feeling when i read that the excuse for actively limiting peoples ability to operate and have their own solar panels was that the power systems at the station could'nt handle the waxing and waining and the unpredictable nature that is a different structure and sheduling of how power is dispersed.

With such a close proximity to the volcanoes thermal energy also seems like a viable power source. This far into the future i don't think it is honorable to say or think that it is okay to use gas to run anything, much less an entire power station.

It seems to me like the entire island of hawaii is in dire need of better more consistent dare i say less corrupt infrastructure, it sure would make life alot easier on the island especially for the people that were born there and the people that deserve it.

Am i off base here? What has been your experience dealing with corruption and inequality on the islands?

thank you for your time, peace be with you

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
Anyone care to pop open that can of worms? :D
I know I don't have that kine time.

Come, stay. Look around. :)

kalopatchkid

Veteran
The power company (singular, there is only one in the state) is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to corruption in Hawaii. Google the recent Kealoha trial if you want to see how deep it goes.

The only options here are to deal with the power company or design your own off-grid system.

Hell, I’m exempt from having to connect to sewer but they still bill me $72 every month for a service I don’t receive.

Behind all the advertisement of pineapples and paradise I can see that the atrocities done to hawaii are still very real and very raw on par with some of the worst and most deceitful in modern history almost like the US didn't feel bad about what they did the the native americans on the mainland and instead used what they learned hurting people to do it even more. To add insult to injury the domination and commercialization with excessive prices instated seemingly to feed the lifestyle of those that embody the same mindset that stole hawaii from it's native people in the first place. seems like something worth fighting over.

The fact that the state of hawaii was illegally stolen at gunpoint for that sake of the united states the largest military in the world and an altogether evil entity that would kill off anyone who stands against them that represents the very nature of greed and carelessness just for the sake of having a pacific military base is greatly disheartening and depressing on all levels especially when you see how the local and federal government not only doesn't want to work with the people to provide the people with an environment they want but actively seeks to persecute them and look down upon them out of contempt and profit from their captivity at an overwhelmingly greedy and excessive rate.

They will kill anyone who stands against them and the represent the very nature of evil itself when it seems all the hawaiians want to do is live in peace and not be enslaved to pay outrageous prices and not forced to follow laws that are written solely for the purpose of oppression and not be looked down upon like they are the street sweepers in a land where they were once royalty.

Jeez the corruption goes really deep here, i did'nt realize it was so bad
I will deffinately put alot of thought into doing what i can and striking at the base of corruption wherever it may be to make not only hawaii a better place but the entire world.

I can smell corruption like a dog, so long as the people of hawaii has me on their side it doesn't stand a chance :)

Pineapple_Punch

Veteran
Can't say much about other Hawaiian Sativas, but i grew a good amount of Federation Hawaiian Sativa a few years ago. (~40 Females) It's a nice line in general, but not what i was looking and hoping for, smell, taste and yield are very good, but the high made me nervous. After smoking only Fed. Hawaiian Sativa for a few month daily i felt heavy exhausted and nervous, it activates the mind a lot, i simply could't stop thinking to a point where it made me pretty aggressive.

One pheno was serious strong, would call it the panick attack pheno, tried this pheno a few times and always got a panick attack like feeling, the effect was very clear but my heart never beated that fast before and after, over a hour hardcore beating, no matter i layed down and put myself in a relax position not moving etc.
After the first few tokes i noticed a cold feeling started over my whole body, than the heart beat increased dramatic. Funnily i never had a panick attack before and after this.

On the other hand i had a very nice pheno, very nice type of high, smooth, warm and cerebral, strong incense smell, much stronger as the other phenos and not gave me this nervous feeling, had almost no lemon terps. Wish i would have keept this one, maybe look again in this line one day and try to find that phenotype, was a heavy yielder for sure.

Final note: not my personal holy grail, and sadly not even close to my favorite Sativa line which gave me a a god like feeling in the most fantastic way, a high i could cry cause it was that great, just pure love.

But all in all Fed. Hawaiian Sativa could be a good breeding tool.

(all this is just a personal opinion)

favorite pheno

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Can't say much about other Hawaiian Sativas, but i grew a good amount of Federation Hawaiian Sativa a few years ago. (~40 Females) It's a nice line in general, but not what i was looking and hoping for, smell, taste and yield are very good, but the high made me nervous. After smoking only Fed. Hawaiian Sativa for a few month daily i felt heavy exhausted and nervous, it activates the mind a lot, i simply could't stop thinking to a point where it made me pretty aggressive.

But all in all Fed. Hawaiian Sativa could be a good breeding tool.

I had the same feeling with it,
i grew 2 individuals and smoked one,
back in that time...
Cold high, very clear, little "visuals", not enjoyable.
Odor was so good, creamy, some kind of fruit, delicious !

It was early for such a sativa...

Pineapple_Punch

Veteran
I had the same feeling with it,
i grew 2 individuals and smoked one,
back in that time...
Cold high, very clear, little "visuals", not enjoyable.
Odor was so good, creamy, some kind of fruit, delicious !

It was early for such a sativa...

Yes you're right, i would describe it as a cold clear clinical type of high, like being in a hospital. But even with the clear high there was something i would describe as a dirty finish, not as clear as the beginning. The Plant on the Pictures above was different, more warm and enjoyable.

Other downside was, from ~40 Plants only 1 has passed my stress tests, all others at least had a few nanners here and there, the one who passed the tests had a catpiss smell, but also a cold high. They hate small pots and getting rootbound very fast.

Maybe being grown outdoor in the right climate it has a more friendly warm effect, but for indoor there are much better sativas out there in my eyes.

Think DJ Short was right in his book, everything grown on Hawaii will be good, but outside of Hawaii it isn't nowhere near the quality as being grown on Hawaii.

But in the end every strain has it's grower...

Peace

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
you right PP, outside of Hawaii it is not the same, but still it is wonderful environment to breed unique heirlooms and they did it and are doing it right now.. so for us it is incredible breeding tool, if you want to create something else.. I am interested in varieties grown in short season there and in humid environment... like this post..
I find this interesting that people still talk about the pot and its history, so here we go.
This is a true story about how we started to grow this pot on the Island of Kauai in 1975, my husband (deceased)is the founder of this strain of marijuana.
The first place that we grew this was in Hanalei Valley, the plant is a crossed between two strains one came form Jamaica called "Golden Voice" the other was from Thailand called "Elephant". In 1975 most farmers use chicken shit to fertilize the plant but it was so strong we decided that a cow base manure would be a new and safer way to bring the plant to maturity, this is how it got it's sweet taste.
When the first harvest came in we had no name for it, at that time such names as Kona Gold, Puna Butter, Maui Wowie, were all taken so we needed something short, plus, to put the Island that it was from (very important in 1975). I was standing in my kitchen looking at the mail when I pulled up my electric bill and up in the corner (return address) was the name Kauai Electric Company. I walk into the living room and said "I have the name, lets call it Kauai Electric" and the rest is history. I still have some seeds of the original plant if it ever goes legal you may see the true Kauai Electric. I hope you enjoyed the history!

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Nice

I have BOEL's Hawaiian
Which is either
(Swazi x Thai) x (Mexi x Affy)
Or
(Jamaican x Thai) x (Mexi x Affy)

I kinda lean towards it being the latter.

I still have a few original seeds
But I also made more seeds on a mountaintop in Napa/Sonoma county

Very unique weed.
Some were warm, some were cold
One looked hybrid, the rest were sativa.
One sativa was real Thai dom
Another sativa was pure Mexican

My estimation is that the seeds I got were F2 from the original BOEL work.

Last I heard, that BOEL member died of liver cancer

I was also given Haze, NL x Haze, Ducksfoot, and several other lines that only have initials or numbers - the mark of real, early breeding work.

Pineapple_Punch

Veteran
you right PP, outside of Hawaii it is not the same, but still it is wonderful environment to breed unique heirlooms and they did it and are doing it right now.. so for us it is incredible breeding tool, if you want to create something else.. I am interested in varieties grown in short season there and in humid environment... like this post..

Yes i think in crosses it's shining better, i grew a few Hawaiian Sativa x Mulanje from Vermontman, i liked the high more, it was focused and warm. Strange, as i heard the Mulanje is some strong Weed on it's own. The Mulanje brought in a Pineapple smell in that cross it seems, very nice smell in my eyes. :)

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Nice

I have BOEL's Hawaiian
Which is either
(Swazi x Thai) x (Mexi x Affy)
Or
(Jamaican x Thai) x (Mexi x Affy)

I kinda lean towards it being the latter.

I still have a few original seeds
But I also made more seeds on a mountaintop in Napa/Sonoma county

Very unique weed.
Some were warm, some were cold
One looked hybrid, the rest were sativa.
One sativa was real Thai dom
Another sativa was pure Mexican

My estimation is that the seeds I got were F2 from the original BOEL work.

Last I heard, that BOEL member died of liver cancer

I was also given Haze, NL x Haze, Ducksfoot, and several other lines that only have initials or numbers - the mark of real, early breeding work.
the hawaiins never called it ducksfoot ,
they called it web , or strawberry web ,
it may not even be related to the one i released called ducksfoot given its just a mutation that can appear in cannabis ...

ducksfoot was what i called what i made ...

the hawaiin version i got was nothing like what i had (ducksfoot),
theirs was an indica , i called it webbed indica ,
it may have been what was referred to as strawberry web , never called ducksfoot though ..

as i say i m not sure they were ever related ,
one was more like a pure sativa , the other more similar to a pure indica ...

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
One reason why Maui Wowie can not be defined is this; Two identical clones. Take one and plant it up in the jungle. Take the other and plant it leeward, down in Kihei where it never rains. Keep the strain alive by cut for 10 years. Since a plant put into the sun at anytime here will immediately flower that will add up to at least 30 generations. At the end of the decade that single strain grown in the jungle will be noticeably different from it's dry land brother. Should the strain we are talking about be the illusive, omnipotent Maui Wowie you guys love to describe to us, this now brings us to the question....

this I found very very and extremely interesting. 10 years is not so long time for changing the genetics by outter conditions. sometimes it is almost impossible to acclimatize some let say south asians in Europe or other places... Hawaii seems to be great place for breeding new unique stuff in very short time.. that is really amazing. why some breeder with good ideas didnt land the Hawaii? I would buy seeds only from such breeder...