What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hating the new site. A lot.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've been trying to be positive about this change, but I just can't stand it. This new website is clunky and hard to use.

For reference, I have been a member of another very popular forum for 20 years. In that time there was 1 visual change when the owners went their separate ways 3 years after starting the website, 1 year after I joined. And in those 19 years since, the site has never changed visually or mechanical (from a user stand point). Ever. It is exactly the same as it was in functionality and design today as it was then.

I know it is on the most up to date software and is one of the most secure websites around. It is the target of several attacks and has never been breached. So their software is the latest and greatest.

So this radical change to this new design here is not only very jarring, it seems to have removed a lot of basic functionality or at least moved it and made it harder to access.

Case in point and probably my number one gripe is the being able to go to the last post of a thread from the main forum page. I used to be able to click on the "Last Page" marker and would go to the top of the last page page of the thread. Now I have to enter the thread and scroll to the bottom of the page to get to there. Or I have to manually enter in the page number at the top of the page to get there. I know there's a button to go to last activity, but it gives the posts in the wrong order. And I know it seems like a petty gripe, but it's still an unnecessary change from my perspective. And therefore a pain in the ass.

Anyways, you'll probably be seeing less and less of me. Not because of the people because the vast majority are awesome, but because of the website design. It's really fucking awful.

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
Stick around Got Bud?, it's still a work in progress but is coming around. Looks better each day and all will eventually shake out! ;)

hyposomniac

Gotta agree... gave it a chance but I'm not adapting very well.
Can we please customize Display colors, maybe dark mode. also doesn't zoom well, so I find myself reading tiny text in colors that hurt my eyes.
Searches don't really work, 502 errors.
'Search this thread' right from the thread no longer exists, helpful for huge threads.
While the main forum page loads, I see 'latest activity' tab, that disappears when the page fully loads..
​​​​​​

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I've been trying to be positive about this change, but I just can't stand it. This new website is clunky and hard to use.

For reference, I have been a member of another very popular forum for 20 years. In that time there was 1 visual change when the owners went their separate ways 3 years after starting the website, 1 year after I joined. And in those 19 years since, the site has never changed visually or mechanical (from a user stand point). Ever. It is exactly the same as it was in functionality and design today as it was then.

I know it is on the most up to date software and is one of the most secure websites around. It is the target of several attacks and has never been breached. So their software is the latest and greatest.

So this radical change to this new design here is not only very jarring, it seems to have removed a lot of basic functionality or at least moved it and made it harder to access.

Case in point and probably my number one gripe is the being able to go to the last post of a thread from the main forum page. I used to be able to click on the "Last Page" marker and would go to the top of the last page page of the thread. Now I have to enter the thread and scroll to the bottom of the page to get to there. Or I have to manually enter in the page number at the top of the page to get there. I know there's a button to go to last activity, but it gives the posts in the wrong order. And I know it seems like a petty gripe, but it's still an unnecessary change from my perspective. And therefore a pain in the ass.

Anyways, you'll probably be seeing less and less of me. Not because of the people because the vast majority are awesome, but because of the website design. It's really fucking awful.

This thing: >> will take you to the latest post in a thread. The trick is to get to the list that has that thread.

My biggest gripe is the messages. When I want to make a PM, I want a damn PM, and not a post to a public visitors board. The other gripe is I cannot remove pictures from my albums if I want, expecially the "my pics". And the site won't take pics from the "media" as easily as from my C drive.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i'm getting more positive about it already. learning to find my way around helps. there are still things that need fixing (502s, 504s, inability to post etc.) but things seem to be getting better now...

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I've been playing around on and off since the change, and apart from a few less bad gateway messages I cannot see any improvements? Am I missing something?

Still shitty white background. Still cannot post pics from my albums, but can from my computer (which I don't want to do). Font tiny when posting, and not great when reading even with glasses on am squinting. Still cannot see who likes my posts. Some threads I post in appear in my recent posts, others simply don't? Most of these feedback threads seem to get closed which is frustrating. I guess negative feedback is not welcomed? Mods keep saying things are getting better.

The only good thing is most of the Trump election trolls have largely vacated but that's less to do with the upgrade.

rod58

totally agree mate ! i'm not all that computor literate as it is and i'm really struggling to find my way around . why does it have to be this way ?
when i first started here , even though i was new at it all , i still found my way reasonably easy .
i now hardly come on here and am really questioning why the hell i'm still here . thinking it's only a question of when , not if , i leave for good .

vanilla dutch

totally agree mate ! i'm not all that computor literate as it is and i'm really struggling to find my way around . why does it have to be this way ?
when i first started here , even though i was new at it all , i still found my way reasonably easy .
i now hardly come on here and am really questioning why the hell i'm still here . thinking it's only a question of when , not if , i leave for good .

Well describe the problems so icmag can help ya.:chin:

ATUK

Administrator

I'm afraid that however much we wanted to, keeping the old template and modules (custom bits that were bodged on) was not an option. It would have got to the point where security of the forum and members were compromised, the decision was made that it was more important to make the jump and deal with the fallout than to try to deal with the previous mess.

To be fair you don't know that and i'm not being difficult. You also don't know the state of the backend of their systems, the same as you don't know what the code was like behind some of the old modules on icmag.

As has been said multiple times, we're aware of this. Despite what you think we have actually been working flat out behind the scenes. Unfortunately, there's a lot of house keeping that we're having to go through before we're able to make larger changes. As a long standing and important member it would be great if you could give us the benefit of the doubt and more than a couple of weeks to try to replicate every feature on the old site, some of which were backwards anyway.

We have changed things on the front end to make them a little less difficult on the eye. The thread listings are darker, the thread font is darker and larger, the background has been toned down, elements that were grey have been made green so they stand out. Having written this post I take your point regarding the font size and background colour of the post editor. It is difficult on the eyes after a while so we'll tweak it.

Case in point and probably my number one gripe is the being able to go to the last post of a thread from the main forum page.
From the forum listing you can get to the last post in a thread by clicking on the '>>' link (on desktop). We're adding extra pagination at the top of desktop threads (is already on mobile) so you can click on the last or first page link within a thread at the top as well as the bottom. We're also looking at making the page number input fields bigger so people who use the existing system find it easier as well.

Sorry to hear that. 👍

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ATUK :kos:I’m a longtime member and I’m having a hard time navigating...When I go to my recent posts it sends me to different places it’s impossible to keep up quick communication with my friends the way that I used to... ?? I set it to ascending or descending order it makes no difference it’s all mixed up can you help at all ? peace... Thanks for doing what you do

ATUK

Administrator
ATUK :kos:I’m a longtime member and I’m having a hard time navigating...When I go to my recent posts it sends me to different places it’s impossible to keep up quick communication with my friends the way that I used to... ?? I set it to ascending or descending order it makes no difference it’s all mixed up can you help at all ? peace... Thanks for doing what you do

My recent posts relies on the vB search engine and returns a list of anything you've been involved in. We are in the process of implementing a 'friends' activity block which should give you a better idea of what you and your friends have been posting in and enable you to get around those posts a little easier.

We've just run a test on the ascending / descending filter using multiple accounts with different threads and it's working as it should. If this is not working for you could you please send me a PM so we can go through it with you in more detail try to diagnose the issue.

Thanks

unnamedmike

Hi,
I don't know if this is the right post to ask, but ... my images disappear 24/48 hours after being posted.
post here post 68 and 69 had photos. They are still there, when editing the message, but they do not appear when viewing the thread.
thanks

vanilla dutch

Try the blue chat button

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I do not hate the new site I just want to be able to enjoy it like I enjoyed the previous version;)...When I’m not logged in there’s a feature that says “today’s post “ and all the most recent posts are there , when I am logged in that feature disappears , I’m wondering how do I get to all today’s post quick and easy? ....peace from star crash

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
What he said^^. find myself not logging in so I can see thr "todays posts" thing. It goes away when you log on.

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
:whee:
bobbuilder.jpg

...CR500AF...

Go to the last page of a thread would be nice.

I really wish it did not look exactly the same as the other canna sites, the wasted space on the right of the page, the old front page skin was so much nicer.

At least the bad gateway errors have slowed down a bit.

Again thanks for the hard work.