What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Haskel pneumatic refrigerant pumps

Plumbed in and almost ready for inspection.

Attachments

• IMG_6453.jpg
    IMG_6453.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_6454.jpg
    IMG_6454.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 67

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Happy New Year!

I'm going to try and forget you guys railed me for suggesting using a residential air conditioner condenser (the vented on all sides boxy thingie the size of a dog house with a huge axial fan on top) as a heat exchanger right after your recovery pump before your usual cooling method. The idea was to completely bypass the pump in the condenser, and use only the massive forced air cooled finned radiator and it's fan.

Attached screenshot of air cooling the output of a Haskel... :biggrin: With some fins, ductwork, and a fan they wouldn't have needed such a long length of tubing. :laughing:

Cued to the frame I took the screenshot,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWXu35jaK60&feature=youtu.be&t=28s

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-31 at 12.27.00 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-12-31 at 12.27.00 PM.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

Old Gold

Crazy, I think I've seen a picture of that exact installation way back on Instagram. I thought Ironfist Extractors was the one setting it up

Gtir

Does anyone have a compressor that they are loving for the haskel ? I need to buy a compressor and am unsure what to go w. Thanks!

Dave at Haskel

Does anyone have a compressor that they are loving for the haskel ? I need to buy a compressor and am unsure what to go w. Thanks!

The important thing it to get a compressor that can provide about 25 - 30 CFM of air at around 90 psig (although I recommend using a regulator to drop the drive pressure going to the EXT420 to about 30 - 40 psi). I don't know where you are located, but if you are at elevation, more horsepower is needed that at sea level.

The best type is a screw compressor, these are more efficient, quieter and require less service, however piston compressors do work too. I always recommend calling a compressor distributor (such as a Sullair distributor), they can help get you a compressor that includes accessories (dryers and filters) that will give you the best quality air.

Dave

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
As Dave notes, all that is required is enough clean air. We operated the WolfWurx Terpenators using Haskel EXT-420's, at 50 psi on as small as a 7.5 hp screw compressor with refrigerative drier. We also ran a coalescing filter on the regulator, immediately in front of the pump.

One factor that can vary considerably even among equal rated capacity compressors, is the noise levels. A factor if employees share the space.

hash head

Are the suitable compressors ones that require phase 3 power? Was considering pneumatic route but this was a deciding factor as the added cost of compressor + phase 3 power was not available here.. also can cps tr21 be approved in Oregon inspection if the cords are ran through the wall and plugged in outside of the extraction room? Also general pros and cons of pneumatic vs. Electric recovery pumps? Ext420 vs tr21?

Dave at Haskel

Are the suitable compressors ones that require phase 3 power? Was considering pneumatic route but this was a deciding factor as the added cost of compressor + phase 3 power was not available here.. also can cps tr21 be approved in Oregon inspection if the cords are ran through the wall and plugged in outside of the extraction room? Also general pros and cons of pneumatic vs. Electric recovery pumps? Ext420 vs tr21?

There are single phase 7-1/2 HP compressors out there. I was talking to a Sullair person (disclosure: Haskel and Sullair are owned by the same parent company) and he told me they are coming out with both a 5 and a 7-1/2 HP single phase compressor. I do know that some of the other manufacturers have single phase compressors too. Even if you don't have the full 25 CFM of air, the Haskel will still work, just slower.

Regarding using a TR21 in Oregon in an approved installation, I don't have any direct knowledge here, but I have my doubts it would be approved. It's not just the wires, it's the motor itself and the motor will be in the classified room.

The advantage to the Haskel vs an electric pump is that the Haskel will meet the Class I Div 1 or 2 requirements, while there are very few, if any, electrical pumps that will. Also the Haskel has a higher throughput than a TR21, I typically hear people needing at least two of the TR21 plumbed together to get the same performance of one Haskel. Also, the Haskel should require less maintenance than the TR21. Haskel does offer repair kits for the pump and the EXT420 is relatively easy to open up and reseal.

I think the main advantages of the TR21 are that they are cheap, they are easy to connect up and they run off simple 110 VAC power. Also, I believe that they are quieter than the Haskel.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

It's good to see some activity on this thread again!!

Dave

hash head

There are single phase 7-1/2 HP compressors out there. I was talking to a Sullair person (disclosure: Haskel and Sullair are owned by the same parent company) and he told me they are coming out with both a 5 and a 7-1/2 HP single phase compressor. I do know that some of the other manufacturers have single phase compressors too. Even if you don't have the full 25 CFM of air, the Haskel will still work, just slower.

Regarding using a TR21 in Oregon in an approved installation, I don't have any direct knowledge here, but I have my doubts it would be approved. It's not just the wires, it's the motor itself and the motor will be in the classified room.

The advantage to the Haskel vs an electric pump is that the Haskel will meet the Class I Div 1 or 2 requirements, while there are very few, if any, electrical pumps that will. Also the Haskel has a higher throughput than a TR21, I typically hear people needing at least two of the TR21 plumbed together to get the same performance of one Haskel. Also, the Haskel should require less maintenance than the TR21. Haskel does offer repair kits for the pump and the EXT420 is relatively easy to open up and reseal.

I think the main advantages of the TR21 are that they are cheap, they are easy to connect up and they run off simple 110 VAC power. Also, I believe that they are quieter than the Haskel.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

It's good to see some activity on this thread again!!

Dave
thanks for the info

Dave at Haskel

Hi there! If anyone is going to be attending the Spring 2017 Marijuana Business Conference & Expo in Washington, DC, come by and say hi. I'll be at the Haskel booth, #936.

Dave

SamuraiSam

I was planning on rebuilding a 59025 tomorrow and converting it to an EXT-420-2; and had hoped to reference the fantastic rebuild video formerly available at https://skunkpharmresearch.com/haskel-ext-420-and-59025-1-maintenance-and-rebuild/ . In fact I was trying to reference it tonight as the tool list at the beginning was my step 1... however the video is no longer working on that page, and searching for "Haskel" on Vimeo turns up nothing. Any ideas?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was planning on rebuilding a 59025 tomorrow and converting it to an EXT-420-2; and had hoped to reference the fantastic rebuild video formerly available at https://skunkpharmresearch.com/haskel-ext-420-and-59025-1-maintenance-and-rebuild/ . In fact I was trying to reference it tonight as the tool list at the beginning was my step 1... however the video is no longer working on that page, and searching for "Haskel" on Vimeo turns up nothing. Any ideas?

Let me see what I can do. I'll post it on our new site when it comes up and will see if the owner is willing to post it elsewhere.

The owner of that video disabled the link in response to what he perceives as poor quality and taste of material that the new SPR manager is now adding to the site. He simply didn't want his name associated with it.

SamuraiSam

If there's any way I could view that video today I'd be happy to pay for the work it takes to get it re-hosted somewhere more appropriate, given the difficult situation at skunk pharm. Otherwise I think I'm in for a bit tougher build than I thought.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If there's any way I could view that video today I'd be happy to pay for the work it takes to get it re-hosted somewhere more appropriate, given the difficult situation at skunk pharm. Otherwise I think I'm in for a bit tougher build than I thought.

The owner lives in Seattle, so it will be tough to get it reposted in one day. I sent off an email and await the response.

SamuraiSam

The owner lives in Seattle, so it will be tough to get it reposted in one day. I sent off an email and await the response.

Truly a small world! I work in Seattle too. In case a physical meeting might make things easier.

Till then I'm gonna try and tackle it on my own! Wish me luck and thanks for your help Grey Wolf!

nu0oOJvh.jpg