What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Haskel pneumatic refrigerant pumps

Fat Thor

Having some trouble rebuilding out Haskell. I can't seem to get the bottom half unscrewed from the top half of the pump. Right after the step where you remove the pin. I work right down the street from Terpp Extractors (where I got the pump) and we threw it in the vice and had three of us going at it with no luck. Any ideas? Dave, please help!

View attachment 354749

Got it!

Fat Thor

Sorry I didn't get back to you faster, I was on vacation last week and my computer was giving me problems.

Glad to hear you "Got it"!

Dave

There's no way I could have done that rebuild without the video you guys made. Thank you so much.

Another question. Earlier in the thread you said that the pump should not be running at more than 60 cycles per minute. Right now I'm at 66 cycles per minute and only giving it 10psi. Seems very low. Before the rebuild we were running it at around 20-30 psi and doing WAY more than 60 cycles per minute. Should I be running at 10 psi max or is 20-30 psi ok?

Dave at Haskel

There's no way I could have done that rebuild without the video you guys made. Thank you so much.

Another question. Earlier in the thread you said that the pump should not be running at more than 60 cycles per minute. Right now I'm at 66 cycles per minute and only giving it 10psi. Seems very low. Before the rebuild we were running it at around 20-30 psi and doing WAY more than 60 cycles per minute. Should I be running at 10 psi max or is 20-30 psi ok?

Glad to hear that you found the video to be helpful!

Regarding the cycle rate, the 60 cycles per minute is an "about" number, if you are running at 66 cpm, that should be fine. I'm a little surprised that the pump cycles with only 10 psig of drive air pressure, but if it does, that's fine. I would suggest using the lowest drive air pressure that keeps the pump cycling. The advantage of using a low pressure is that you will use less drive air and the pump will run a little smoother when it reverses since there is less energy in the pump.

One thing that I want to reiterate is that an EXT420 (or 59025) needs two control devices on the drive air line. The first is the regulator to control the pressure of the drive air going into the pump. The second is a throttling valve such as a needle or gate valve. The regulator only controls the pressure going into the pump, it does not "throttle" the air, it lets full flow go through the regulator. The needle or gate valve acts as a throttling valve (like the gas peddle on your car), the more you open it, the faster the pump cycles.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Dave

Fat Thor

image.jpg

wizzogmb

Whats up yall,

Some one I know is building a system, 3 x 3x48 with a 10/24 collection. Planning to use dual 3/8 50" chillers before and after the solvent tank. They have chosen to use an ex-420 but not sure if they need the mod. Looking to move about 36lbs of solvent per run.

Some one I know needs would love some advise or some direction making sure they dont miss anything.

THanks all.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Whats up yall,

Some one I know is building a system, 3 x 3x48 with a 10/24 collection. Planning to use dual 3/8 50" chillers before and after the solvent tank. They have chosen to use an ex-420 but not sure if they need the mod. Looking to move about 36lbs of solvent per run.

Some one I know needs would love some advise or some direction making sure they dont miss anything.

THanks all.

Which mod are we speaking of?

wizzogmb

Which mod are we speaking of?

The mod to run the Ext420 in two stage, unless Im reading incorrectly. sorry.

called a haskel rep [FLW] they said they sell mod kits so I think what they might do is give the ext420 as is a shot with out any modifications.

Dave at Haskel

The mod to run the Ext420 in two stage, unless Im reading incorrectly. sorry.

called a haskel rep [FLW] they said they sell mod kits so I think what they might do is give the ext420 as is a shot with out any modifications.

Hi there! Whether they need the pump with the mod (switchable between a single stage pump and a two stage pump) is going to depend on how deep a vacuum they want to pull at the end of the run. If they are just looking to get the pressure down to ambient or a small vacuum, maybe 5" Hg), the regular EXT420 will probably be sufficient, but if they want to get to a deep vacuum, the mod maybe necessary.

Like you said, they can always try without the mod and decide if they want to add it in the future.

Thanks for asking!!

Dave

wizzogmb

Hi there! Whether they need the pump with the mod (switchable between a single stage pump and a two stage pump) is going to depend on how deep a vacuum they want to pull at the end of the run. If they are just looking to get the pressure down to ambient or a small vacuum, maybe 5" Hg), the regular EXT420 will probably be sufficient, but if they want to get to a deep vacuum, the mod maybe necessary.

Like you said, they can always try without the mod and decide if they want to add it in the future.

Thanks for asking!!

Dave

Dave thanks for the input! As always thanks for everyones time.

Tstar

I have an almost never used haskel for sale. We bought 2 but only ever use 1. It has a very clean rigid mod that looks and works great. I'm asking $2,100 pm me if interested I'll post a pic soon

Dave at Haskel

Hi everyone! If anyone is planning on attending the CannaCon show in Anchorage next week, I'll be in the Haskel booth, space 137. Come by and say hi!!

Dave

Just got my Haskell and am looking to mod it before I install it over the next couple of weeks. Thanks for all the info everyone! Using a Kaeser sx7.5 to drive the pump, I will update with pictures and info on how it all goes.

Is there a parts explosion for the ext420 I can download from somewhere? I'm looking to familiarize myself a bit but also have it on hand for when a rebuild is needed. Thanks!