What's new

Has Anyone Tried The OG Vertical Reflector?

Stonefree69

Veg & Flower Station keeper
Veteran
So lets say they do have a slightly shitty spread at the ends,
So wouldn't just over lapping the footprints a little in therory
Still give u results of 2 one k's using 2 six hundreds? You would loose a foot of foot print but dosnt that in turn give you more watts per sq. ft? I thought that was good butI'm a bit lifted on my sky walker and it makes my brain think faster than it process shit so I get a bit bottle neckin goin on with my thought process... Correct me if I'm wrong :tiphat:
And on another note do any of you think using a 400 with a bulb extender produce equiv. of a 600 with out this HOT SPOT issue?
I know for a fact the 600 is the bang for your buck as far as lumens goes but aren't lumens for humans? Ha ha love that phrase...
2-1,000 watt bulbs will always have more light spread over 2-600 watters using them in similar fashion simply because 1,000 watt bulbs have more lumens or PAR to begin with. I don't think there's a free lunch trying to get the same light output w/600s vs 1,000 watts but there's always more efficient methods than others. Guess the same is true with using a 400 watt and extending bulb, it might dim the hot spot but also the edges that are more distant.

I find it easier to go by 5,000 lumens/sq ft (about half sun) or 50 watts/sq ft (or whatever lumens or watts/sq ft you like) and multiply that by the area I want to cover to find the size or number of bulbs I need, then choose the best method or reflector to get that light to my plants. So if I want to cover 100 sq ft of canopy I would multiply by 5,000 lumens/sq ft and get 500,000 total lumens needed of total bulb output. 6-600 watt HPS bulbs @ 90,000 lumens each would give me 540,000 total lumens and that might make a good choice.

Yes "lumens are for humans" and I could also go by PAR (measured in umol/m2/s) but most bulb makers don't list that, they list lumens.

Here's a neat reference:

At midday in mid summer the sun can reach around : 2,000 umol/m2/sec (or PAR/PPFD) = 9,800 foot candles = 1,060 watts/m^2 = 98.5 watts/sq ft = 105,486 LUX = 9,800 lumens/sq ft. This varies with latitude but's a good guide for plants. There seems to be diminishing returns with light output past 6,500 foot candles or lumens/sq ft. Also note that all these different measurements listed are not true 1:1 conversions as they can measure different wavelengths in the spectrum (especially with PAR and the other measurements as PAR is more selective of wavelength). Here a good reference: Light Measurement Full sun is measured for a reasonable equivalence.

Yes lumens are for humans. ;) But both plants and us also seem to like the sun's full spectrum (to an extent anyway).

joe guy

2-1,000 watt bulbs will always have more light spread over 2-600 watters using them in similar fashion simply because 1,000 watt bulbs have more lumens or PAR to begin with. I don't think there's a free lunch trying to get the same light output w/600s vs 1,000 watts but there's always more efficient methods than others. Guess the same is true with using a 400 watt and extending bulb, it might dim the hot spot but also the edges that are more distant.

I find it easier to go by 5,000 lumens (about half sun) or 50 watts/sq ft (or whatever watts/sq ft you like) and multiply that by the area I want to cover to find the size or number of bulbs I need, then choose the best method or reflector to get that light to my plants. So if I want to cover 100 sq ft of canopy I would multiply by 5,000 lumens/sq ft and get 500,000 total lumens needed of total bulb output. 6-600 watt HPS bulbs @ 90,000 lumens each would give me 540,000 total lumens and that might make a good choice.

Yes "lumens are for humans" and I could also go by PAR (measured in umol/m2/s) but most bulb makers don't list that, they list lumens.

Here's a neat reference:

At midday in mid summer the sun can reach around : 2,000 umol/m2/sec (or PAR/PPFD) = 9,800 foot candles = 1,060 watts/m^2 = 98.5 watts/sq ft = 106,000 LUX = 9,848 lumens/sq ft. This varies with latitude but's a good guide for plants. There seems to be diminishing returns with light output past 6,500 foot candles or lumens/sq ft.

Yes lumens are for humans. ;) But both plants and us also seem to like the sun's full spectrum (to an extent anyway).

Fuck I love it when I entice a guru to confuse the fuck out of me
Thank you sir no sarcasm intended thank you.
A buddy and I are very intrested in these.
So do u think using the 400 would make it possible to keep the hood closer to the canop, in turn making the inverse square law more efficient? And with 400s extended should I I theory yeild more than using lets say a super sun 2 since its a smaller hood and will in turn push more lux into my foot print? ( isn't the idea of this hood designed to lower energy consumption ?)

joe guy

And another one dose a bulb give the same lux reading hangin horz. Vs. hanging vert.. I bought that's y alota dude do doughnuts?
I'm not trying to argue I'm honestly tryin to pick your brain... U seem substantially more qualified to answer these than asking abury him self since he is gro lite... And tryin to push his product mighty well I may add..
If it was My company I'd rock it till wheels fell off lol

Stonefree69

Veteran
So do u think using the 400 would make it possible to keep the hood closer to the canop, in turn making the inverse square law more efficient?
Certainly true for T5 fluorescents and would apply to the 400 watter. But as your plants get taller so will the distance from bulb to lower canopy. So different stages of plant's growth also can require different amounts of light or bulb intensity. I kind of "mix and match" the T5s and 600 watters I have for that.

And with 400s extended should I I theory yeild more than using lets say a super sun 2 since its a smaller hood and will in turn push more lux into my foot print? ( isn't the idea of this hood designed to lower energy consumption ?)
Definitely should yield more especially if your plant canopy is a closer fit. The OG looks to have a 33% bigger footprint over the Super Sun 2.

And another one dose a bulb give the same lux reading hangin horz. Vs. hanging vert.. I bought that's y alota dude do doughnuts?
I'm not trying to argue I'm honestly tryin to pick your brain... U seem substantially more qualified to answer these than asking abury him self since he is gro lite... And tryin to push his product mighty well I may add..
If it was My company I'd rock it till wheels fell off lol
Hanging vertical should give a higher LUX or Lumen/PAR reading overall from your plants perspective. Less light is being “bounced back” with vertical and is more direct light. With horizontal, half the bulb isn't direct lighting but being bounced back down from the top of reflector. Direct light will be more intense.

It's all about coverage too. On the outside perimeter of the garden, you can use dimpled aluminum like Reflectix on foam board panels or even the new Orca Grow film. It also helps to reflect light back on the sides of your garden as well as from a reflector. That way you’ll also get better bud development even on the sides of the plants that aren't facing the light.

And thanks for all the compliments joe guy, really appreciate it! :D

joe guy

Damn it stone now I have write down my answers
So I remember them all...but no worries on the rep boss
I only give it where givin it deserves givin ...
( shit that almost sig worthy)

Stonefree69

Veteran
Damn it stone now I have write down my answers
So I remember them all...but no worries on the rep boss
I only give it where givin it deserves givin ...
( shit that almost sig worthy)
Hey had to give you rep because now I have all that PAR/LUX/lumens/watts/foot candles mumbo jumbo conversions all in one place! Wouldn't have if you didn't ask... ;)

joe guy

Hey,
more than welcome sir I've learned quite abit from you
But the pickin ain't over yet sir... I'm taking pix as we speak with rulers for Reffrance mmwwhaahaaa ur brain is open now

:hijacked:

Sorry op figure if I can learn so can some one else...

Last edited:
Lots of people with lots of knowing about reflectors and lumons etc but is there actually any body here who has grown weed with this reflector?

cyat

Veteran
solarpwrd .. good question ... i have and i think they suck

they have a very strong center that can fuk up nugs at 3ft away.. too heavy for me too.. light spread is wack

marvingrand

So I am doing run comparing the og hood vs the radiant. What i am seeing is the veg is that the og side tends to stretch and i was using a mh bulb, it reminds me of plants just needing light. When the I F.I.M.ed everything the og side would stretch so much that the secondary branches and tertiary branches couldn't catch up cause a less dense canopy. The radiant side grew just as tall but promoted more side branching as it was F.I.M.ed, making a more dense canopy. In flower, the less dense og canopy is evident causing me, to what I can see lose yield. The flower development seems to be the same, but i feel due to the stretch in the veg, it may cost me my yield.
OG cons: need a large height space, narrow focus point
OG pro: i think that the stretch can be utilized by scrog growers seeing how it stretches, even light distribution
radiant con: uneven light distribution
radiant pros: spread light better, more lumens, height space is not a problem, seems to promote better side branching
By the way everything in that room is exactly the same except for the hoods

I looked into this hood a while back, problem for me was lack of vertical height... here's a snippet from email received fom OG Hood rep...

With a 400 watt there won't be any issue with too much light penetration hurting your plants at 12" but I'm not sure you'll achieve the spread you want. Our reflector is absolutely fantastic at focusing and using all of the available light from the lamp, the advantage and drawback to focus is a very defined area. At 24" - 36" you will get up to a 5'x5' focused area. At 12" I'm not sure if you can cover the 2'x3' area you want. We recommend hanging the reflector a little higher than most people are used to because we have amazing penetration and because of the focused throw of the reflector.

Marvin, can't wait to see your comparison, going to keep a log for us?! TTK

marvingrand

Unfortunately I had to stop the study at week 4 cause of the height issue but I noticed that the flower development where the same. All I can conclude from this point is if the study continued i feel that since the radiant hood side gave me the denser canopy it would have given me the better yield. I saw flower formation develop at about the same rate. I got more even flower development out of the radiant, but this is because the og side was past its height space limit. The og does not promote side branching instead encourage vertical growth giving stretchier plants, but in the flowering cycle the flower formation was basically the same including internode spacing. The radiant side canopy is more even.

toppin

Veteran
A little of subject but what are peoples thoughts on gro-star reflectors how do you think they would compare to the og vertical or radiant if temp and head room isnt a issue.

Stonefree69

Veteran
The Luxor is supposed to be one of the best reflectors out there, it's vertical too: Ultimate Reflector Test and Guide

I'm looking into reflectors for 400 watt MH bulbs for vegging. Instead of 16 T5 bulbs putting out 80,000 lumens using 864 watts @ 92.6 lumens/watt efficiency - using 2 400 watt MH (Digilux) bulbs puts out 90,000 lumens using 800 watts and 112.5 lumens/watt or a 25% increase in efficiency over the T5s.

Personally right now I like the Bell Lighting LR400 MV reflector or the Blockbuster 6" - no glass.

Latest posts

Latest posts