What's new

Has Anyone Tried The OG Vertical Reflector?

irobot sd

This hood sounds pretty nice. Reviews claim The OG wastes no light at all. Gets 30% more reflective area without the 6" or 8" vent holes on the sides, The true test would be if a 600w can really outperform a 1000w bulb. Being a 600w only user this is a big deal. Can't wait to see a side by side that's done by someone other than OG Hoods.

the gnome

Veteran
hey Krunch,
have you completed a grow with your luxor yet and done a report
on how it performs or using it only as a transitional light because of the height?

the og is a tad smaller so its like night and day on ship'g prices.
you can average about $225 on either hood
but to ship the og is around $40 compared to
$160 minimum for the luxor and average shipping pric was double that at other suppliers?!
the few inches in difference is nite and day

OG 21.75x21.75x12" tall
luxor is 30.26"l x 30.26"w x 19.75"h

both hoods being even the shipping costs seem to be deciding factors.
too bad a side X side hasn't been done on them yet
if just simply with a light meter

edited for:
now I just found a site that ships the luxor for $38

UnionBlvd

A few months ago I bought the Luxor and took it back the next day. It weighs 38 pounds, it's way too tall, it ran way too hot. Amazing patch tho.

I recently bought the OG and here's my first impressions.
weeds 131.jpg

-Good-
Smaller and lighter than the Luxor.
Measures 22x22x17, then add a few inches for the ports. Only 17 inches high. Felt about 25 pounds to me.
I have a 1000w in it, and the entire unit is cool to the touch.
This hood supposedly doubles the lumen output from my Magnum.
If you ran a 400 or a 600, it would double the lumens and you could get the plants closer saving power...but the patch shrinks.

-The Bad-
I CANNOT run a normal MH bulb, when the fan runs it contracts the heat shield & it rubs on the bulb. HPS is fine.
I found a couple small leaks.

I'm going to see if I can borrow a light meter & see what it reads. I like it so far.

These are made in California I think, I got mine in Oregon for $210 carryout. He said he could go $190 per for a pallet of 10.

I think some people will love them, others not so much. I would like to see what a 600w OG hps could do to nice scrog.

A

ak-51

Right now I'm working in a basement that might have 7ft of space from the floor to the ceiling. Add to that that I'm running in tents and I basically can't run these. Wish I could, but it looks like the headspace required would give me problems.

Storm Shadow

Veteran
Here we are ...34 hoods in this pic...only 24 for this spot though

Attachments

• DSC07908.jpg
    DSC07908.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC07909.jpg
    DSC07909.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

irobot sd

O my Gawd thats sick. Please attach a link to that grow or update us. Also i saw these at a hydro shop and noticed that the actual light socket is mounted on the top of the hood actually outside of the hood all together. Didn't notice this on Unions photo untill now...

UnionBlvd

I tested my hood with a lux meter, OG vs Ocho.

@18" the OG won by 16%, but only in the center. It shines like a magnifying glass the patch was about 24x24.

The Ocho patch is about 40x40, and it has a shorter profile. The edges of both patches got the same lux.

NorCal

Veteran
Big ups to you people spending $5k in hoods. I honestly respect your vision but its simple really, There's no better reflector than no reflector. May as well run barebulb and not have to deal with mounting,hanging, lowering, raising a 20 + Lb baby. Not to mention setting up the air-cooling etc.... Jesus Christ that must be a pain in the ass....just bare bulb, buy the AC and DUMP it full of CO2. Get that dialed and I GUARANTEE you'll be amazed.

Stonefree69

Veg & Flower Station keeper
Veteran
I suppose in hot climates in summer when venting is pretty much a
necessity it could be an option. The question then would be how it'd
compare to a vertical cool tube w/ducting. The cool tube may have an
advantage there as well with more light direct distribution.

Also the cool tube would have less height restrictions on the plants,
unless you plan to keep them under 4 feet or about 3.5 meters.

I have to say though, they do look better than even the Big Daddy or
Big Kahuna reflectors as well.

Another poster is right about GE and the grow industry, they also make
excellent lights as well. Not much to say about their microwave ovens
though as my bro's new GE just quit.

Reflectors or hoods can't generate light. They can only manipulate it , so choose the reflector type that creates the footprint that best suits you (also air cooling needs is a factor for those of us who do air cooling).

Looking forward storm to seeing the results you get

Storm Shadow

Veteran
Room is almost done...just letting this So Cal heat pass by....
So far so good... these make 600's BRIGHT as fuck

Attachments

• DSC09016.jpg
    DSC09016.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC09017.jpg
    DSC09017.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC09018.jpg
    DSC09018.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC09019.jpg
    DSC09019.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 24

o2much4me

m glad I found this thread. I saw the youtube comparisons against the Luxor. The OG needs less ceing height. Bet they both are a bitch to clean. I want to see one in person !

Latest posts

Latest posts