What's new

has anyone ever been busted for a sudden electricity increase?

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
BlindDate said:
400 watts!!!!! Are you insane? Dude....Why not just put a sign on your front door saying "I grow dope come in and bust me". That kind of wattage will shut down half the town. The radiated heat given off will make you look like a terrorist with a hundred kilos of plutonium in your bedroom.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, I BEG YOU, DON'T DO IT!!!

I know that was tongue in cheek but noobs will believe it. Not funny.

(do not take BD's comment as gospel, it was a joke)

G

Being smart has kept me out of jail,and I've run over 5K in a very small home for six years now.There are realistic concerns when growing,a 400W electrical usage increase is definately not one of them.

G

ItsGrowTime said:
I know that was tongue in cheek but noobs will believe it. Not funny.

(do not take BD's comment as gospel, it was a joke)

I just want to second this.

What you have heard about the 400 is BS. You can't get a warrant for a 5-10$ increase in your bill... its unheard of. Like brain said probably all the electronics you use, use more than 400 watt. My TV and Xbox 360 alone use around 700...as far as seeing its heat, you can see just about anything that gives off heat with the right radar... its the amount of heat that matters... but a 400 could easily be a reptile light or a new mini-fridge... hell even the fucking heater in my fish task is almost 300 watts!

You don't start really start getting your feet wet and playing with the feds until you pull out multiple 1000 watters. 1000 waters IMO are the a "step up" from anything weaker, and require a whole new thought process alone.

However 99.999999% of growers get cause by breaking one of the three rules. The other .0000000001% probably consists of a mixture of things, like too high electricity (granted you pay your bills).

G

When I rented my house the bill was 40.00 or so. I too thought that when I started the lights that they would be coming. It's been 3.5 years now, they are not coming. :jump:

Then I put in 4k room and it jumped to over 500.00. I only pay every 2 months after they send me a disconnect notice. I pay cash at the payment center, no problem. I have even paid 2000.00 late bills with cash and they just act like biz as usual. Don't even give a 400w bulb a second thought. Get your garden going A.S.A.P.

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
HeadyPete said:
Exactly. Your basic computer probably draws almost that much, mine does! 420 watts (really!).

Your hair dryer can draw 1400 watts.

Just. Pay. Your. Bills.

The hydro companies would rather pocket that money than investigate and lose a customer. They only investigate after prodding or tips or real wacko bills coming in, and they will look for a current leak first as an explanation for the increase. They may change out your meter and/or look beyond that, but they are not in the police biznizz, they are in the money making biznizz.

wow
i got 3 800+ watt pc's...
i just looked at my oven (250v electric) hehe she pulls 50 amps at 3500Watts.
lol!
ill let the neighbors cook. ill just get take out.
microwaves these days juice out 1-2k
and they just made a new PC power supply that is 2000 watts... pulls like 12 amps on 120..lol

pay the bill. that wil make them happy.
there just like mcdonalds, they just want some cash.
(edison IS on the stock market for a reason)
its the dirty pigs that want to stop us.

Last edited:

Cobain192

Kinderfeld said:
I just want to second this.

What you have heard about the 400 is BS. You can't get a warrant for a 5-10$ increase in your bill... its unheard of. Like brain said probably all the electronics you use, use more than 400 watt. My TV and Xbox 360 alone use around 700...as far as seeing its heat, you can see just about anything that gives off heat with the right radar... its the amount of heat that matters... but a 400 could easily be a reptile light or a new mini-fridge... hell even the fucking heater in my fish task is almost 300 watts!

You don't start really start getting your feet wet and playing with the feds until you pull out multiple 1000 watters. 1000 waters IMO are the a "step up" from anything weaker, and require a whole new thought process alone.

However 99.999999% of growers get cause by breaking one of the three rules. The other .0000000001% probably consists of a mixture of things, like too high electricity (granted you pay your bills).

A 400 watt setup adds $5-10 to your electric bill? That just doesn't sound correct to me...

Last edited:
G

Thats about what it would cost me at 10 cents a KWH,most folks pay a little more.ic user I also slapped 5800K in a small house and got around a 400 dollar jump,but I'd never play with late bills it can do nothing but draw attention.C'mon bro if you're running 4K plus you can afford to pay each month!It would just concern me to see anything from my elec utilility in my mailbax except a bill.A disconnect notice would freak me out lol

G

Yea it all depends on where you live, and where I live its 5-10$ added on...sometimes I don't even notice a change :confused:

G

thread starter here is the equation your looking for...watts x how many hours using watts x how many cents per kWh you pay divided by 1000 because there are a 1000 Watts in a kWh.....so lets say you have 100 watts x 12 hrs aday x lets say 12 cents per kWh = 2400 divided by 1000 = .24 cents per day for every 100 watts...hope this helps...peace

V

vaprpig

I think another thing to remember here is that these are energy companies we're talking about. Remember Enron? These are some of the greediest bastards out there. The more lights you have, the more electricity you use, the more money they make. If they started turning people in their profits would go down, the stock holders would be upset and people would be fired. I don't think they have any problem with how much juice you choose to consume.

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
vaprpig said:
I think another thing to remember here is that these are energy companies we're talking about. Remember Enron? These are some of the greediest bastards out there. The more lights you have, the more electricity you use, the more money they make. If they started turning people in their profits would go down, the stock holders would be upset and people would be fired. I don't think they have any problem with how much juice you choose to consume.

Exactly. The problem arises only once you come under suspicion to LEO for growing. By then its too late to worry about it anyway since they will likely be breaking down your door any day.

Fat Albert

As long as you pay your bills in a timely manner, you'll have nothing to worry about. A/C units, space heaters, hair dryers....these items draw a ton of power. Your 400 watter is practically nothing compared to the amount of power these devices draw.

Also, billing information is confidential! The power company cannot just give LEO your power usage stats. They'd need a subpoena to do so, and I doubt they'll get one without other probable cause to corroborate their suspicions.

Cheers!
Fat A :wave:

The only ppl who really have to worry about an electrical spike turning them in are those running lage commercial grow rooms. Some folks in ohio recently got busted because they dug underground and tapped into the public utilities for their grow-op.

G

They were not intelligent people running a large commercial grow operation,people do that every day for years and years..They were fuckin idiot thieves that didn't have the common sense not to steal electricity.There's a world of difference between the two scenarios.If you're too stupid to buy your juice,you haven't a chance with all the other many real dangers lol.Again I say smart people with their shit together don't worry about electrical consumption and their electrical providers love them for their heavy use.

skin

a while back i was using 6000w in a 3 bed house no problems at all and no questions asked , paid the bills and all was good .
i moved and gave my grow equipment to a friend who started off with about 2400 and went to 3600 after six months and he had all sorts of letters about this increased electricity consumption ?
they wanted to send advisors round and bla bla bla !
this was about ten miles from where i was in england , same company and county !

G

Sounds like bla bla bla to me bro but I cant speak for across the pond,it could have happened.I've never heard of anyone being confronted by an American utility company about their usage unless they suspected an equipment problem or something like that.Americans use everything to excess and waste along the way,thats why we're so loved and admired lol