What's new

hanuman's AK47 monoculture 2008

hanuman

Hi friends

I thought it'd be a good idea to document my OD grow of this year on icmag, modestly hoping to fit in somewhere in this crowd of great growers. Some of the threads I have read here in the OD forum are simply out of this world, with a special mention to our Danish brethren who have left me dazzled with their outdoor photos :jawdrop:

I am located @44.5° North, in a beautiful area of Europe. No guerilla for me, my spot is set in a rather discreet corner of my garden... ok, big garden let's say. OK, a field really. :wink: Anyway, I'm located on a hillside, south facing, with an fantastic landscape of rolling hills for miles and miles visible almost 360 degrees around (minus a small quarter perhaps). Not that the plants really care, :confused: but it's a great place for ganja gardening all the same.

As I chose a new growing spot this year, I had to dig the meadowland to make some sort of elevated plaform, as unfortunately I only have between 10 and say 40 cm of good soil before hitting the rock. I'm actually planning to dig deeper in the rock for next year's grow, as it's tender limestone. But being a stoner for years, I have strong reasons to believe I'll never get to it :bashhead:

This limestone makes the soil rather alkaline, so after digging the patch (roughly 3 x 1 meters, i.e 10 x 3'), I added 3/4 of a 30 liter bag of peat to bring up the acidity level and lighten the soil. I also added a bag of wormcastings, half a bag of commercial composted manure (by bag I mean a 40-50 liter bag), some potting soil, some more soil taken off mole-hills, plus a few organic goodies, i.e a box of 1kg of bloodmeal, half a box of bonemeal, a good amount of bat guano, say 500 grams, keeping some guano and bonemeal for blooming time, and whatever I had left from last year. This results in a very rich, yet light mix. The plants love it. My only problem is that I have to give extra nutes now and again, as the rock underneath limits root growth, which soon reflects on the bottom leaves. For that I use biobizz grow + bloom in pH ajusted water, around 60-70 liters once a week. The drip system visible on the photos hasn't been used much at all this year.

This year, I was given 4 rooted cuts of a Serious AK47 clone, (sativa pheno), that has been going around the Internet growing community of this country since 2000 at least. I guess it is the pre-2000 AK 47. I have never tried this pheno yet, but I only heard great comments about it. High, yield, smell, taste... everything seems to be here. It should finish around mid-october. Needless to say, I'm getting increasingly excited.

Knowing that being put in soil at the end of April, they'd eventually reach a respectable size, I didn't start any other strain, as this is a strictly personal grow and these days I don't smoke much more than 1 or 2 js a day. So 2008 is going to be the year of AK47 monoculture. Well not entierely, as I also have two very small guerilla gold females, but more than shaded by the AKs.

But enough talking already, here's a few pics. Thanks for your attention :smoke:

h

Last edited:
Very impressive! I wish I could do that here in the states. It would save an awful lot of work.

ak47, which I have bred using sensi seeds version, is suberb cannabis...one of the few strains that I have to grow every year. Most I try and won't repeat, but ak stands with my maple leaf indica, hashberry, early queen, etc. Keeper all the way, since it is a rare sativa that does not race my heart pulse-wise. Euphoric and clear.

hanuman

Former OGer said:
Very impressive! I wish I could do that here in the states. It would save an awful lot of work.

Thanks, Former OGer. I'm glad you like my garden. Actually we're not much better off than you are over here regarding the law, as this country (France) has some of the most stringent cannabis laws of Europe. Only I don't think our LEOs are as obsessed with growing as yours, and I don't think there is a big budget on helicopter spotting flights. Also, hopefully, if you don't have the profile, which I don't, I don't think you get in the same sort of problems as you do in the US of A, i.e seize your property, getting long jail sentences or even (god forbid) taking your kids away from you. Well I hope not anyway.

Former OGer said:
ak47, which I have bred using sensi seeds version, is suberb cannabis...one of the few strains that I have to grow every year. Most I try and won't repeat, but ak stands with my maple leaf indica, hashberry, early queen, etc. Keeper all the way, since it is a rare sativa that does not race my heart pulse-wise. Euphoric and clear.

I wasn't aware there was a sensiseeds AK47, or perhaps Sensi WhiteLabel created a "knock off" version? Anyway as I said, I've only heard great comments about this particular selected pheno I'm growing, which has even got the reputation of an "elite clone" over here, even though no special name was ever given to it.

Peace

h

T

The_Skunkist

Oh ! An AK47 hedge ! It remembers me something ... :D

Yeah !

You have done a pretty good job with these 4 clones.

Last edited:

hanuman

The_Skunkist said:
Oh ! An AK47 hedge ! It remembers me something ... :D
Yeah !
You have done a pretty good job with these 4 clones.

Hey brother skunkist, what a surprise :bigeye: :wink:

Yeah, I really wonder why it reminds you of something :chin:

Thanks anyway, buddy. As you can see, they are being taken care of :pimp3:

h

Saibai

栽培して収穫しましょう!
Veteran
Hi hanuman, thanks for sharing your plants. :D Can't check out the photos atm (at work :p) but I will when I get home.

I'm in a new spot this year, too...my last spot had terrible, terrible rocky soil...I can sympathize. :)
I just used big pots. :D

ps. Yeah, those Danes seem to pretty much dominate this outdoor forum. :D

satyr

Looks like that Ak enjoys being outdoor. I have had a couple of indoor ak47 grow this year and I like it. Enjoy m8

Really impressive to see that growth. When do you reckon it will be finished ?

mme_oscar

Yop

very nice plants & spot... Can't wait to see its big buds getting bigger... Do you recon you'll gonna lead them to their maturity?
I'm far from 44.5° but it's a real bad season for outdoor growers over here & I chop the same AK @ 70/+ (indoor) at mine :) but I like it real ripe!

Anyway hope everything gonna be allright & you'll be abble to enjoy these (everyday) good smoke.

Saibai

栽培して収穫しましょう!
Veteran
Wooh! They're loving it! Jeez...for such shallow soil you're doing well!!!

AK is on my list :D

hanuman

Thanks for the kind words, guys :dance:

Former OGer, I thought it was odd you mentioning sensi for AK. Well, if Serious's AK lives to its reputation, I'm in for a treat !

Kalleavndk, well there are plenty of good growers on this forum, isn't there. :redface: And hey, we're cheating a bit, as I find our work outside much easier than what the indoorers do. :bandit: :biglaugh:

Saibai, thanks for the comments. You seem to be having great fun and great results yourself growing in the land of rising sun. About the rocky soil, well actually it is'nt rocky soil in my case, as the whole hill (and most of the relief in this area) is a big rock with a bit of soil on top. After reflecting about it, Instead of digging into the rock for next year, which makes me feel exhausted just thinking about it, I plan to simply elevate my platform much higher than what I've done this year, as I've seen on the pics of esbe's wonderful garden. I've done plenty of grows in deeper soil in the past and, provided the spot has been well prepared, it's really a pleasure to just watch the plants grow without having to run back and forth adding nutes and stuff, which I know would be the case with pots too, unless you use huge containers.

Satyr, thanks for the positive comment. I must admit I'm quite proud of their bushyness, specially as I only topped them twice. And my photographer's skills being what they are, i.e not great, the plants look much nicer in real life, and the grow is getting more impressive every day :) They should finish sometime around the 2nd or 3rd week of october. I'm just praying that it doesn't start raining too soon.

Mme Oscar, glad to see you posting on this thread my friend :jump: and thanks for the comment. As I just said above, they should finish mid-october, according to my generous benefactor. And of course I'm going to lead them to maturity!!! :rasta: In fact, the pics don't show it but they are already budding nicely, and really they started their stretch more than a month and a half ago. I even started seeing some baby trichomes yesterday. Don't forget that outside, at this latitude anyway, the plants start flowering a long time before effective 12/12 (which is sometime in the middle of september I think?). To tell you the truth, I found that whatever the strain (except for early stuff, of which I'm not a great fan), my plants always finish between the second and third week of october, and I've done quite a few indoor strains outside all these years!
As for the growing season, well we have been quite lucky here in the south-west, as we haven't had much heavy rain at all since june, other than the occasional storm. Also, in this area, we usually get great weather in september and october (at least the beginning). Still thinking about building a "ghetto" poly tunnel with a pvc pipe structure as a preventive measure against botrytis (the dreaded budrot), but knowing myself, I'll never get to it this year :spank: So I'm just keeping my fingers crossed!

kerala, thanks for the comment. wow I am honored that such a prominent member of the euro-canna-community comes to visit my thread :violin: oh wait, we know each other, don't we... :rolleyes: :laughing: Thanks anyway mate!

Groovy, glad to see you've made it from the French forum, where it's always a pleasure to see your pics. Yeah I can't wait for this years harvest, with all the gooood things I've heard about this strain and more specifically about this clone!

thcfanatic, thank you my friend.

rollinfatty, thanks. yeah I can't wait myself :) But they are already starting to swell-up nicely. I'll take some more pics this afternoon when they are baking in the sun.

:joint:

Peace

h :ying:

Last edited:

hanuman

A little update. :dance:

The pics were taken yesterday. Buds are starting to show all over the place. Unfortunately, the weather isn't great this days, but well... I have decided againt any kind of antifongic spraying. After a last addition of bloodmeal a week ago, to avoid too early yellowing and keep the N going until the end (still got around a month and a half to go), they are now only getting bloom nutes, with probably a last addition of high P & K bat guano or bonemeal in a few days.

This is probably due to their respectable size and the relatively shallow soil, but these girls are always very hungry and soon start to show deficiencies if you don't feed them fast enough :)

Anyway, here goes:

Same stem, with a phone :)

That's all for today. Thanks for the visit.

Last edited:

esbe

hybridsfromhell
Mentor
Veteran
outstanding and inspirering bro, great to see yet another fine grower here! i hope you will be with us til harvest. im shure you will have great pleasure with the ak!

love this sight!
5588P1030746.JPG

558808_09_03-016.JPG

Last edited:

hanuman

Thank you for the compliments my friends, glad you like my garden.

Here's a few recent pix (well yesterday) with my new "jungle greenhouse" bamboo structure. Total cost : 30 euros. :joint: And that's for the tarp I have put on top. The structure was 100% free! I'll be posting a thread with details in the GH forum later today.

Other than that, the AKs are doing fine. I lost one or two bottom branches, due to the weight of the buds (already?), but all in all, they are quite healthy. They are starting to smell quite strong... sort of a flowery-rotten smell, if I can say.

Fortunately, the dominant winds should be blowing the smell away from the neighbors... Anyway now for the pics...

:)

Oh by the way, of course, now there is a plastic tarp on top...

Later

Last edited: