What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hail Hydro!

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
It creates a pressure on the air (high and low), thus the water pushes and pulls the air as the water level rises and falls with in the container.

If you want to add more air to you F&D totes, put an air stone in there that is on the same timer as your water pump(s)

But that would be the same air, not fresh air, no?

The air stone inside the tote is an interesting idea

Now that I put the rez air stone directly under the pump each time the pump is turned on it should bring fresh air into the tote as well

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
HOT5

Finally, the Mystery plant only has a few white pistils left. Weather is supposed to dip into the upper 50s in a couple days, so I may wait to harvest

In the middle are two decent clones that are growing better than the two I selected for the LED grow-off SIGH :cry: I want to say F it to the Grow-off and move them to the LEDs, except that they are not similar size/shape- one being much bigger, BUT, I would wind up with a lot more product.

Decisions decisions
dunno.gif

View attachment 345417

LEDs

Not sure what happened but I have a few curled leafs on the clone under the SE 220. I checked pH: both rezes were the same, but low 5s so I bumped them up to ~ 5.5 -6.

I also removed the lenses as I only have 15" above that clone and the lenses MIGHT be sending too many umoles to such a small plant

View attachment 345418 View attachment 345420 View attachment 345421

TL D200

View attachment 345419

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Due to previous LED plants taking a couple weeks longer than expected, the clones I chose for the "Gro-Off" had already began budding. Still, I was hopeful they would stretch, but they didn't

This being the situation, it seemed like an unfair test for both lights, so yesterday with Amare's ok, I switched out that clone for the largest budding clone under the HOT5.

Removing the clone from the F & D set up required pulling the roots from the rock below. The root system was deeply embedded, there was no way out but to tear some of it away. The clone looks ok this morning, but a few larger leafs my not survive

I may leave the clone under the D200, at least for now: I am revegging the Mystery sat under the hot5, once new leafs develop I may move it to the D200
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
But that would be the same air, not fresh air, no?

Are you trying to say you have no ventilation in you tents?

If you where to be standing inside your closed tent breathing in and out, is that the same air?

Take a balloon and blow it up in one breath, inhale the air in the balloon and then blow it up again and do over and over. That is the same air.

Air moving into a larger area from a smaller space will mix with the content of the air around it. Think of pouring water from a glass into a larger container of water

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Are you trying to say you have no ventilation in you tents?

If you where to be standing inside your closed tent breathing in and out, is that the same air?

Take a balloon and blow it up in one breath, inhale the air in the balloon and then blow it up again and do over and over. That is the same air.

Air moving into a larger area from a smaller space will mix with the content of the air around it. Think of pouring water from a glass into a larger container of water

Are you confused? Tents, what has what I've asked have anything to do with tents? That said, the tent doors are open to the room with fan on a timer

Did you look at the photos of my TOTE which is sealed from the air? It's the air inside the TOTE I have been asking about

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
Are you confused? Tents, what has what I've asked have anything to do with tents? That said, the tent doors are open to the room with fan on a timer

Did you look at the photos of my TOTE which is sealed from the air? It's the air inside the TOTE I have been asking about

Your tote is not as air tight as you think it is!

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Since the Gro-off has been postponed to another time (and due to the extreme flexibility my hydro systems provide) I decided to shuffle the deck a bit.

Mystery Plant under hot5: Although the remaining primary leafs have pretty much given themselves up (not enough N?) the Mystery Plant still seems to be taking forever to finish, so I just moved it under the SE 220, along with the dwarfed clone.

This means the MP will be getting a higher dosage of food at this late stage. It was getting < 300ppm (mostly +Size). Since the Dwarf clone is still growing, sort of, she was getting ~ 540ppms, so I will adjust nutes down to ~ 300, mostly +Size.

Moving the MP (which was in a bubbler) to the F & D system was simple as I use the same size totes/lids for both, but
this tote has a bulkhead fitting making the transition a 3 minute job, literally

It's small root mass fits inside the empty 3" net pot, centered inside the square net pot side filled with medium and large polished stones.

[/FONT] View attachment 346364 View attachment 346365 View attachment 346366

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Large clone under the TL D200

View attachment 346367
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I also reduced the o/o time for all 3 lights from 13:11 to 11:45 on time. I had bumped it up to 13 hours for the reveg (same timer), but that kept the sat growing new pistils. This is an issue when there are multiple stages of growth under the same light timer. I could add a separate timer for the hot5 but....

HOT5

Remaining are 2 Dwarf clones and the reveg
Note: I angled the tray under the hot5 to maximize the mixed light spectrum tubes. There are 2 @ 6500k on the far right side- slots 1 & 2 - which are perfect for the reveg while the remaining clones are equally positioned under the 2 Transcend Lighting LED Flower tubes + 2 ZooMed Florosuns

View attachment 346368
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]* I would pull the Dwarfs if not for the fact that I have other plants to finish, so what the hell. Size is no indication of potency[/FONT]

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ganoderma is correct here. I really don't see anything wrong with putting some ventilation in a tote if you like PF, but there's plenty of air in there regardless.

For sure there is, now that I added a 4" air stone disc directly under each pump intake

So, PLENTY of air going into the nutes on their way to feed the roots

If I could find my 1" hole saw I would have done this also, as it couldn't hurt, but the additional disc gives me peace of mind

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Mystery Plant has not perked up, actually, the opposite.

This morning I raised the hood and noticed its' small root mass was fairly dry. It is too short , only the lowest roots getting soaked, while the root mass above this was drying out, meaning what little nutes it was getting could not be taken up by the dried out root mass. I failed to consider this. I could have added a second adjustable o/o valve to the other tote which would allow me to direct more nutes to this tote

Most of the primary leafs had wilted beyond revitalizing, so, I semi-harvested it, and am revegging it back under the hot5

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
FYI Transcend Lighting tells me NW t5 LED tubes will be shipped shortly. That will help with reveg.

Since putting the Mystery Sat in the bubbler yesterday she has regained turgidity :woohoo:
As you can see, I left ~ 40% on the plant to help kick-start new leafs

I simplified the hot5 tent plants, harvesting the tiny clone and combining the 2 revegs into one tote with fresh nutes.

I also added the other 2 air stone discs (total of 4), so a ton of moist air above the water line

View attachment 346782

Figured i might as well post pics under the 2 leds as well. The 2 plants are under the SE 220

View attachment 346783 View attachment 346784

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't know what took me so long...
wallbash.gif

since the gro-off is cancelled there is no need to waste electricity when all 3 plants fit under the TL D200

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've been thinking about pH and nutrient uptake during flower in hydro

Well, the chart indicates that in order for Phosphorus (major bud builder) to be taken up in decent amounts pH needs to be > 6.4, barely any is taken in < 6.0

I've been keeping my pH too low

Do a search for Nutrent Uptake and pH to see color charts

RockinRobot

I've been thinking about pH and nutrient uptake during flower in hydro

Well, the chart indicates that in order for Phosphorus (major bud builder) to be taken up in decent amounts pH needs to be > 6.4, barely any is taken in < 6.0

I've been keeping my pH too low

Do a search for Nutrent Uptake and pH to see color charts

That is in Soil. In Hydro it is available from 5.8-6.1 Hence allowing Ph to drift through the entire range rather than trying to keep a constant Ph.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
That is in Soil. In Hydro it is available from 5.8-6.1 Hence allowing Ph to drift through the entire range rather than trying to keep a constant Ph.

I know that's what the 'science's says, but this morning the buds are smelling a lot more pungent

RockinRobot

Hey you do what you want. If you want to throw out years of proven science and do your own thing go for it. Ph is about BALANCE. You may indeed make more potassium available by raising ph but you may end up locking out cal and Mg in doing so.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey you do what you want. If you want to throw out years of proven science and do your own thing go for it. Ph is about BALANCE. You may indeed make more potassium available by raising ph but you may end up locking out cal and Mg in doing so.

I follow you. I set it at the high end of hydro and low end of soil. Didn't want to get too radical

Just got home and checked, there are a lot more trichs since this morning

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Leaf curling has begun, BUT, trich production is in mega full swing.

Small price to pay IMO, though I could lower pH a tad, it's hard to do unless one has an actual tester that reads it out. At this stage the few primary leafs are not that important

Will post pics once my camera battery fully charges