What's new

H3ad goes Coco

S

shuswap

okay so using this formula "In the coco, I am now using 6ml/gal micro and 9ml/gal bloom which gives the nute profile:" what do you do when clones are small and or recently transplanted into there pots from being freshly rooted,some i know feed right away with 900ppm ,is anyone using this same ration but at lower ppms as the plants start?

PNW_grown

Veteran
so im not sure what is goin on with my plants right now they are in 75%coco to 25%perlite and have been lookin over watered for the last couple days but after alot of reading i guess you cant over water coco so i think i must have over fertilized them. im really just trying to get some outside feedback since this is my first coco grow and none of my friends have used it im kinda at a loss. oh and they were getting the 6/9 at half strength i started to see some signs of them wanting more (or so i thought) so i gave the 3/4 strength and i think that might be what did it

well here is some pics

and this here is by far the worst one

so do you guys think i should flush them really good i gave them a good watering with alot of runoff yesterday with 5.7 ph water and nothing else. thx in advance

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
looks like low root zone O2 to me. How often are you watering? Any chance you've gotten a pathogen in your root zone?

PNW_grown

Veteran
i have been watering every other day or maybe a day and a 1/2
just until i see runoff and thanks so much for the quick response

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
i have been watering every other day or maybe a day and a 1/2
just until i see runoff and thanks so much for the quick response
If you are watering every other day and your coco is not drying out in between then you have found the O2 problem. water more often or allow your medium to dry out more.

The only way to really overwater coco is to hit the "just wrong" zone between the "water often to keep fresh O2" school of thought and the "let it dry up"school of thought, where the water sits long enough to stagnate but not long enough to evaporate.

PNW_grown

Veteran
so, as to prevent salt build up by lettin it dry out would you suggest more frequent watering with less water or still water until you see runoff but once a day as opposed to when i feel it start drying out.

also when i water next should i go back to 1/2 strength which they seemed happy with or should i do PH'd water until they pick back up.

thanks again when i saw that you responded i instantly had a slight sigh of relief. Mucho Respecto

ps cant wait for the new releases

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
Once a plant is growing roots I water often.
Lots of peeps get great results letting it dry up, too.
At concentrations all the way up to full strength 6/9 I don't see build up being a potential problem unless you are keeping them in the same container for more than 120 days. At 80 or 90 you shouldn't have to worry.

PNW_grown

Veteran
thank you for the advice i think im going to give a good 2 part flush (per generalgrevious' advice) then get on a good consistent feeding schedule. i would rather water more often than not and i definately am not planning on leaving them in any container that long so again thanks much and best wishes.

Help

Help

Ok ladies and gentlemen, I have a small issue I need help with. The plants in question are all MVTF from clone. They are all in coco/perlite and hand watered until a little runs off. They are all on full strength 6/9 and usually pH'd to 5.8. I made a slight mistake by getting them too close to the light (400w MH) as you will see in the pics (leaf edges folding up like a taco) but have lowered them back down. My issue appears to be ph. I have been feeding all cuts at 5.8pH and the majority of the plants look awesome except these MVTF's. All NEW growth appears to be twisting. I have 3 cuts and 1 I changed pH to 5.6, another I kept at 5.8 and the last one I changed to 6.0 to see if there is any difference. Any thoughts? Heres my specifics:

Mix of RO & Tap to appx 100ppm before adding nutes
After 6ml/gal Micro, 9ml/gal Bloom and a few drops/gal super thrive, pH'd to 5.8 with a total ppm of appx 830. I am going to transplant from 1 gallon pots to 4 gallon pots tonight and they will be ready for flipping and will finish in the 4 gallon pots. Here are the pics:
:thank you:

The only way to really overwater coco is to hit the "just wrong" zone between the "water often to keep fresh O2" school of thought and the "let it dry up"school of thought, where the water sits long enough to stagnate but not long enough to evaporate.

that's priceless information right there...for any medium really :yes:

that's priceless information right there...for any medium really :yes:

im amazed gratful that u admitted this peice of common sense over your obstinant view that u cant over water coco. how often peoples mediums hold onto to much water depends on container sizing done wrong basically, there is no one size fits all in growing anything anywere, u can over water coco.

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
LMAO... I only said the exact same thing I have always said. The only way to "overwater" coco is by not watering it enough.
Nothing amazing since the obstinance only existed in your mind. There is a just wrong zone you can end up in, by not committing fully to either proven technique.
To "overwater" coco you almost have to be trying to water incorrectly.

People who think I have ever said it was impossible to overwater coco haven't been paying attention to what I've said, only to the straw man arguments others have posted.

My coco stays completely saturated all the time and is never allowed to dry out.

Of course "overwatering" is still a misnomer for "lack of disolved oxygen"... but since people use the terms synonymously anyhow, I'm just trying to answer the person's question without nitpicking their language.
The correct usage would be to have removed the term "overwatering" and replaced it with "improper watering strategy which led to a lack of dissolved O2 in the root zone".

I saw no reason to nitpick though, since the person asking the question understood my response and decided to water more.

Last edited:

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
IMHO it is ridiculously silly to refer to something which can be corrected by watering more as "over watering". If it were actually too much water, then watering more often would make it worse not better.

Nothing like having someone comb through every single word you type. I applaud your cool attitude Head Thanks :)

=]

slowandeasy

Veteran
H3ad,
I am using RO water and 6/9. I know you say to solve Cal-Mag issue, just adjust pH. I did that and things got worse. I tried my Tap water on some plants, and they did not seem to like it...even tho it is only 100 ppm. So, do you have any advice for using RO water? I added 100ppm of Magi-Cal to some plants and the new growth is much better looking. Any advice is much appreciated! Also, what kind of Coco do you prefer?

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
Seeing the same thing I've always seen and saying the same thing I've always said. Glad you finally figured out you don't really disagree, after all.

Rushoe

Nice work Head just finished looking at the thread from page one good work man Cj is one sick ass planta man.Got one nice size mama in flower right now.Any ways just wanted to come give some props for all the good work man.thanx.Next time Iam gonna run them in hempy's coco style. A Long time homie of mine has been using hempy's with his set up and I love the idea of the poor man's hydro bucket working so well.

Y

YosemiteSam

I have a 2x4 table that I grow clones on. Just for fun I put some just rooted clones in 4x4 pots and flooded them once an hour 24/7 for a week. They did not perish from "overwatering". They grew very fast but seemed to stretch more than normal.

I also got a wicked case of fungus gnats that eventually forced me to tear that room down and clean everything...but that is another story.

I am also running a table in flower (5.5 inch pots) with the 6/9 formula. What I have found is that you are forced to water more often...at once per day my EC was dropping like a rock in the res...at 5x per day it stays pretty freakin stable. Right now it looks like I may lose a little yield vs another table on Lucas watered once per day...but we will see. Quality wise...well I can't wait for the smoke test.

Seems to be plenty of good ways to skin a cat. H3ad's way is a most excellent one.

Latest posts

Latest posts