What's new

H3ad goes Coco

RobertM i dont think the yellow is from a lack of Nitrogen as its been said time and time again the 6/9 formula has plenty of N in it. Usually an uptake issue in my experience

\

uptake issue? the plants as a whole are a much lighter green color in comparison to my soil plants which are dark dark green

my ph is usually in the high 5.8 range.. maybe ill bring it down a little

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
all i mean by uptake issue is that maybe it is something to do with the environment, feed schedule... maybe feed an extra time? I dont know all i know is i have seen pretty dark green leaves with the same formula...after i had solid roots and started to feed daily.
Not implying you are not doing something right. Head recommended to have the PH 5.6-5.9, so maybe lowering it a bit could help.

uptake issue? the plants as a whole are a much lighter green color in comparison to my soil plants which are dark dark green

my ph is usually in the high 5.8 range.. maybe ill bring it down a little

Yeah...I'm on my first coco run in Hempy buckets. Everything is going well so far, but the plants are def more yellow than my soil or perlite/verm grows.

I'm still in veg and I switched from 6/9 to 5/5/5 plus 5 of CalMag. And things did green up a bit and got more perky. I'll go back to 6/9 when I switch to flower in a week.

BTW...I do love coco so far. The roots are actually popping up at the surface :). The best is that I can get rid of it without going super stealth.

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
The roots are actually popping up at the surface :).

One of my favorite things about coco... roots proliferate in it.

One factor worth mentioning... I have noticed that the coco which works best in my garden has alot of fiber strands in it and coarser particles... When I get a brick that is mostly fine particles (like coco dirt, pretty much) then issues pop up more often and it has to be treated more 'pro-mix-ish'.

When the bricks are the right consistency of fibers and particles, then coco seems to integrate the better aspects of rock wool and pro mix into one product.

C

coconaut

yes I too find not all coir is created equal, coir from different manufacturers can be different or even different bricks and bales from the same manufacturer can be different.
I think my rinsing process rids most of the dusty and small particles in the mix.
I use a 5 gallon bucket with many 1/4" holes drilled in the bottom. The bucket is perfect for bricks but bales I have to rinse in many batches.
With the hose I fill the bucket near to the brim while agitating with my other hand making sure to rub my hand over the small holes in the bottom, I do lose some of the good with the bad, but I think it makes for a better medium.

one Q

Quality
Veteran
I guess Im lazy. I just hydrate w/ tap+calmag+FLplus+(root stim sometimes) and let that sit for a few days before use. Good results. Next time I want to add turface to this. I reallly just want to use shit that is "right out the bag" no fooling around.

I did some runs w/ Botanicare pure earth. I dont know why it's called that when there's NO EARTH in it at all, it's all coir and perlite and pumise. Added 6/9 and was good all the days. Now all coir for $$ sake and so far good results. If it doesnt add up in the end more of this "pure earth" will be had.

I did notice that the runoff from the Pure Earth was alot cleaner than the runoff of 100% coir. noted.

B

BioMechanical

I think might try this, what do you guys think? I don't reuse my coco so I thought the Liquid Karma might be safe?

Micro - 6ml/Gal.
Bloom - 9ml/Gal.
Hygrozyme - 5ml/Gal.
Liquid Karma - 7ml/Gal.
Sweet - 5ml/Gal.

This gives me...

N: 99
P: 60
K: 114
Mg: 62
S: 55
Ca: 97

Not too shabby?

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
I've come by and asked this a few times cuz I want to get into a formula like this but using Cutting Edge Solutions 3 part Micro 6-0-0 and Bloom 0-6-5 and was wondering what you or anybody here for that matter would do with these nutes since I have gallon jugs I don't want to waste and have heard good things about the company. Any help would be greatly appreciated... Right now I'm getting pretty damn good results using the Botanicare Organicare line Grow Bloom and Boost but I've been using just 10ml of Bloom and 5ml Calplex and my girls seem to love it but I want to give a different nute company a try might be dumb since I'm supposedly fully organic right now but I have the nutes so why not use em??

greenatik

I guess Im lazy. I just hydrate w/ tap+calmag+FLplus+(root stim sometimes) and let that sit for a few days before use. Good results. Next time I want to add turface to this. I reallly just want to use shit that is "right out the bag" no fooling around.

I did some runs w/ Botanicare pure earth. I dont know why it's called that when there's NO EARTH in it at all, it's all coir and perlite and pumise. Added 6/9 and was good all the days. Now all coir for $$ sake and so far good results. If it doesnt add up in the end more of this "pure earth" will be had.

I did notice that the runoff from the Pure Earth was alot cleaner than the runoff of 100% coir. noted.

i've used quite a few different coirs. chunky, fine, lots of coir. but my recent buy of 60/40 coco/perlite is really doing great. never rinsed it, on a top drip 6 times a day for a minute each. growth really is hydro-like

I've come by and asked this a few times cuz I want to get into a formula like this but using Cutting Edge Solutions 3 part Micro 6-0-0 and Bloom 0-6-5 and was wondering what you or anybody here for that matter would do with these nutes since I have gallon jugs I don't want to waste and have heard good things about the company. Any help would be greatly appreciated... Right now I'm getting pretty damn good results using the Botanicare Organicare line Grow Bloom and Boost but I've been using just 10ml of Bloom and 5ml Calplex and my girls seem to love it but I want to give a different nute company a try might be dumb since I'm supposedly fully organic right now but I have the nutes so why not use em??

itll probably be close to 6/9 like other micro and blooms. plug the nutes into the calculator to see what the dosing is to hit those target numbers

^^ for some reason the plants just seem to start out this way.. the older they get they seem to darken up.. strange

still would like to know what you guys are doign about vegging in floros? i overstocked my flowering room and would like to veg out the extra's for the next run but i know that 6/9 will be way overkill. thinking about cutting the formula in half

one Q

Quality
Veteran
@h3ad- Im noticing that with 100% coir and this formula, Im getting Over N clawing on one strain but not the others. Would you recomend alternating feed and plain water, or going with less Micro?

Ive already have an idea on what I think is best, but want to get your opinion before I DO anything.

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
@h3ad- Im noticing that with 100% coir and this formula, Im getting Over N clawing on one strain but not the others. Would you recomend alternating feed and plain water, or going with less Micro?

Ive already have an idea on what I think is best, but want to get your opinion before I DO anything.

Any time something seems to be over fed, I simply dilute the 6/9 with more water for that plant.

If I were growing a room full of cuts of that strain, I might bother slowly dropping off the micro to find their 'sweet spot', but if it were only one of two plants then the extra water is my choice...

terminalc

Farmer
ICMag Donor
I feed my veg plants with 6/9 and they look fabulous. In bloom i mix same ratio at about 1000ppm .5 also get too much N. After reading more i think if i drop the micro at 30 days like i read it would almost work out perfect. No runoff... Water every day... Bcuzz coco is mad expensive... The only thing i would add is mg but can't find a good way to do that

StonedRob

Big up to H3ad for this research! Very valuable.

I switched to coco, from soil, for my current grow (a few week into it already) and loving it! A friend of mine did the switch before me (lab rat hehehe :) and i did notice that the coco we get down here (not as fibrous as what H3ad describes his as) retains a whole lot of moisture. To the point where the plant suffers.

H3ad does suggest to water as often as possible (something that a soil grower will not accept too easily) to facilitate aeration. This will work, but if you're a lazy stoner like me, adding some perlite will help ENORMOUSLY (it basically does the aeration part for you). Perlite is mineral foam that is PH neutral. By doing this, you dont have to water so often but get the great benefits that coco offers :) I use a 50:50 mix of coco to perlite, and my girls are loving life!

Oh, and after spending almost two days (work time of course ;) reading this thread i've picked up on something very useful....Keep it Simple!

Keep on growing :)

Latest posts

Latest posts