What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

H3ad goes Coco

S

snookster

H3ad...Did you find a little mold in your coco during the young seedling stage? I'm following your lead and find a couple of my cups are slightly growing mold about 8-10 hrs. after their last feeding. Using slightly lower ML's in a one gallon sprayer, but same exact nutes. THANKS!

Alrighty, dropped the micro for the last couple of waterings and I know it was too soon for one plant but fuck her she ain't getting no special treatment! The others all are doing great and definitely ripening.

Thanks for the advice! Like I said before this thread has really helped me a long my first grow, it just makes feeding it what it wants so easy! I'm sure one day if I continue this hobby I will change some things or try new things but for now this works great and no need to change anything. Next year if I do another outdoor crop though I think I'm going to try and feed it more with the soil than the water.

If you don't mind here are a couple pics of my crop, 3 different strains, seeds I picked up from an annual cleaning of my room. So pics aren't as frosty as some I've seen here but considering where the seeds came from I can't complain.

K

krushonkush

O snap,I just missed some Casey at the bay!
Good Luck to some lucky soul! :joint:

whodi

Veteran
Does that formula on the 1st page of this thread apply for veg and bloom phase.. or just bloom?

K

krushonkush

Whats up H3ad!
Thanks for all this info! Just saw some of your artwork at the bay.
Someone is having a great FRIDAY!hahaha
I'll be here soaking it all in.:wave:

BiG H3rB Tr3E

"No problem can be solved from the same level of c
Veteran
Grat3fulh3ad said:
On a side note... I also have two more new OE ladies from seed, and a killer looking male I'm gonna test cross to the ECSD cut....

i know this quote was over 14 mos ago>>>but did you ever dust that

ecsd wit tha OE pollen??

tobaaaac

I'm thinking about trying to achieve a similar nutrient profile using the Botanicare Triflex Base and Bloom and Cal-Mag. This will be my second crop in Coco. I had already purchased the nurtients when I stumbled on this, so I still have to purchase the Cal-Mag and it appears that I'll have an extra gallon of grow that's not really doing anything for me. The whole Botanicare line seems to have a slightly high K:N ratio, so the fact that the Cal-Mag has N in it actually helped with figuring this nutrient profile. If I use 8ml/gal Base 14ml/gal Bloom and 4ml/gal Cal-Mag+, I get a nutrient profile that looks like
N 100
P 64
K 114
Mg 52
S 21
Ca 107

Being I haven't actually put my hands on the nutrients yet, I haven't measured the mass per milliliter of the different nutrient components. That means that these ratios may have to be tweaked a little but are achievable. The way that I'm trying to think about it is that each nutrient solution is a vector, and we're just working with vector addition as our operation and just trying to find the appropriate linear combination.

Prior to reading about this Lucas formula feeding method, everything about Cannabis and nutrient consumption was some subjective witchcraft. I've only really got a few harvests under my belt and have been struggling to really understand a feeding strategy as analytically as I would like. Does it sound like I've got the right idea? Do those numbers look like a reasonable start for working out an optimum feeding schedule?

Last edited:

gramsci.antonio

Veteran
Grat3fulh3ad said:
You can drop the micro when stretch has completely stopped, and calyx production seems at it's peak... roughly 1/2 way through flowering depending on strain...

with some MNS Mango Haze started from seed the 20th of july straight under 10/14, the Micro has been cut off the 6 september, they are showing some nitro def now... still minimal tough...

One more thing Head: you said you use 10 ml KoolBloom, but you can't find it here in europe. Can't you just use 20 ml of Flora micro instead?

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
I don't use KoolBloom, that was someone else...
Also, for extremely long flowering strains, I'd leave the micro in a bit longer...
In a 9 week flowerer I'll feed micro up until week 5
In a 12 week flowerer I might go 7 weeks or 8...
It does have to vary a bit depending on strain.
I have a SSH that Flowers for 13 weeks or so, but I still cut out the micro after 6 weeks...

There is no perfect nute regimen which covers every plant, but my basic recipe is a good average, and an excellent starting place to fine tune to your exact needs...

gramsci.antonio

Veteran
oh yeah it was rez... sorry...

Using GHE and not GH products i don't have the same nutrient profile as you, so i have to adapt it... still i think i'm a bit of a noob and i can't understand yet very well the plant's language... do you think that if i post a photo of my plants you can give them a look?

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
same ratios, but give them a few days in a row of straight water each month, to prevent imbalances due to long term accumulation of nutes...

mister c

Makes sense to flush every so often...

Even though, I have read in a canna pamphlet that flushing ruins the buffer level of the nutes in coco. Have you heard anything about this?

Quote out of Canna Talk Issue #4 Expo Edition....(the pamphlet the lovely canna girls were giving out at the frisco expo)

"Once the medium establishes a buffer, which it will do based on the nutrients it sees right or wrong;the grower can wipe this out by applying plain water to the medium. The medium hangs on to nothing and will readily flush away its nutrients; then the plant will suffer until the buffer is restored.

What are your thoughts on this?

Peace

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
A few days in a row of straight water with no runoff is not going to flush away the nutrients, it is going to allow the plant to use some of the nutrient and help prevent imbalance... Especially since I'm using GH and nothing coco specific like canna...

mister c

So the key is not having any runoff...that sounds like a plan..

Can you explain how it helps allow the plant to uptake nutrients? I'm curious...
Does it dilute the concentrated buildup back to normal nutrient levels?

And what would be the difference between coco specific nutes and GH as far as imbalances and flushing goes?

K

krushonkush

I think that you are correct. keeping the medium moist allows the
plant to take in the remaining nutrients lowering the concentrate in the coco.
No run off is the KEY it keeps the coco moist but, you are not losing any nutrients that are in the medium. You can do this by starting with a 2 cup measuring cup....water 1/2 cup...wait....1/4 cup...wait, you know till you see
some run off. This gives you some kind of base. I am a complete coco noob
so please wait for H3ad to answer your question. just my Thoughts on the matter.....good luck with your coco grow!
:joint: :joint:

THoC

I have a ignorant question do most of you water from the top or is it common also to water from the bottom?

thanks

good growing

Latest posts

Latest posts