What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Guerrilla auto-Irrigation (Watering your plants when you aren't there)

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
I don't pump water, it flows with the gravity down hill. Down hill to the rez, and then down hill to the plants. No pump needed.

Very nice pump by the way!

I should getting my systems set up in the next week or so when the dry season starts showing, for now, no worries, its raining as I write.

there's always the bag reservoir in the trunk of the car trick too. Obviously the grow has to be down hill from the road.

Bartender- 1 gallon pots will get your plants root bound and leave you with sad tiny plants. Im sure you have heard of water crystals. That will cut down your water lost to evaporation. I would put those bitches in some bigger pots.

What powers the pump? That's not a drill powered one is it?

bartender187

Bakin in da Sun
Veteran
CarharttKidd said:
Bartender- 1 gallon pots will get your plants root bound and leave you with sad tiny plants. Im sure you have heard of water crystals. That will cut down your water lost to evaporation. I would put those bitches in some bigger pots.

What powers the pump? That's not a drill powered one is it?

I dont plan on finishing them in 1gals : ).... They are chuggin along nicely, I transplanted the larger 3 (had them in 3gals) all the way up to 15gals. The smaller ones looke like they are about ready, prob. step them up to 3gals here in a bit.

The pump is powered by a car battery, its a well pump, advertised for flooded houses, and well users.

I torn down the dripper hose, it wasnt efficent enough. Ive been lucky this last week with rain, goin to setup a drip emmittter system. Thanks BC for the idea : )

Last edited:

bartender187

Bakin in da Sun
Veteran
CarharttKidd- the incline varied, ide say anywhere between 20-30 degree incline. As long as there inst any kinks in the hose, this baby will chugg water out nicely.

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
Been a while since I put this thread together, I never did get my systems up and running last year, but they should be going nicely this year.

scrappy2

I want to thank BC and everyone else for shareing your techniques that you learned from trial and error's. So that I can be more successful in my endeavors! Always listen to what someone is shareing...knowledge is key!

Skully

BC , I went to Lowe`s and Home Depot to find those RainBird heads that have the multiple ports . I could`nt find them anywhere . They had the 1/4" hose , the dripper nozzles and other related items , but no heads , not even a spot where they`re out or something . Have they been discontinued? I did see a dripper kit for 10 plants at Home Depot in the RainBird section . I went to the garden dept. and got a battery operated water timer and was able to hook them together . The only problem I could think of with this is like you said about not being able to dial them in to get equal amonts . If I cant find anything else though , I`ll give this a try . The kit was $ 11.98 and the timer was $ 24.98 , and operated off of a 9v battery . The kit came with 60 ft. of hose . In case I use this would the lines be able to have equal pressure or would the last dripper one the line get most of the water ? Anyways I cant lose , if I bring it home set it up and it does`nt work , take it back with reciept , full refund . I also went over to the plumbing section and found a 3/4" barb with a 3/4 in threaded end . I am going to get a 5/8" paddle bit and drill a hole in a reservoir and hot glue it and silicone it . I will tweak it in my yard , and check for leaks . But if anyone knows about those multiple heads do tell .

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
Hello Skully! Its possible that the Lowes and Home de'Pot in your area have a different selection than mine do, also the brand of my "Ajustable flow, manifolds" is actually "Raindrip" brand, although "Rainbird" also makes versions of the same product.
Using one of these manifolds is not necessary, it can and is usually done other ways.

The manifolds were cool because you could use them to both split the water off to 1/4" hoses for each plant, and you could also ajust the flow to each hose.

There are other ways to split off the 1/4" "spagetti" hoses, like using "T" fittings, also non-ajustable manifolds or multi-splitters should be available.

Small 1/4" valves should be available too, these would be placed at the ends of the 1/4" spagetti hoses at the plants. These valves, along with the water timer, will allow you to control the flow of water to the plants.
I actually like the idea of using the valves at each plant better than using the Hydro-ports.

G

gdawg

great info thank ya backcountry! i'll be stoppin at the home depot next trip to the farm. :joint:

LORD BENIS

Wassup eryone?
I figured I would try and breathe some new life into this old thread as it's always captured my interest. So it's Spring 2007 already and I believe we've finally found a few PERFECT spots for auto irrigation. One plot faces west and the other two face east. Both will get ~6+ hours direct sun and best of all, they're downhill form a seasonal water source! Very excited about this years outdoor grow, thanks for the inspiration Backcountry! Out to go buy my filter, pics to come.

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
LORD BENIS! Looks sweet! Looks like there should be a few of us posting grows like these this year. Good to see.

Gantz

Smoke weed and prosper
Veteran
BC your threads always inspire me so i thought i'd give it a bump with some info i found around that someone here might find useful and use it

Introducing the Wetpot

http://wateringsystems.net/

it's not expensive but if anyone can make one themselves and post a diy tutorial...i'm all eyes :D

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
Wow! Thats a great find Gantz! Everyone who is interested in these things should take a look!

I think this could be replicated fairly easily, I would envision using 2 small terracotta clay pots, turning one upside down ontop of the other, and sealing the lips together. Then seal one pots drain hole completely, and use the other to connect a pipe nipple.

I suppose learning the manufacture of Terracota could be learned, and these could be made from scratch.

Anyways, good find!

Gantz

Smoke weed and prosper
Veteran
i envisioned the same thing but how porous is normal terracotta anyway?
i'd make my own if i had a pottery oven :D

btw...read somewhere in a growguide that some people put broken terracotta (after having them submerged in water for a day or two) in flowerpots or in the holes they planted because it retained a lot of water...

LORD BENIS

Gantz said:
btw...read somewhere in a growguide that some people put broken terracotta (after having them submerged in water for a day or two) in flowerpots or in the holes they planted because it retained a lot of water...

^
Ya, I did that a few years back. Did it to help drain the water though, never thought about them actually absorbing the water. At any rate, the large crevaces provided shelter for lots of nasty shit; bugs, mold, etc.

Latest posts

Latest posts