What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Guerrilla auto-Irrigation (Watering your plants when you aren't there)

T.doT.Toker

Leave this place better then when i arrived
Veteran
Wow i just came back from canadian tire and those lil drip tubes are 12 dollars each. Can you buy them bulk?

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
T.doT.Toker-Are you sure you were looking at the same thing? I've only seen 1/4" drip tube in rolls, and it is pretty cheap. You just cut the length you need off the roll. Each average length you cut for each plant should end up costing pennys each. What is Canadian tire anyways? I hear folks from up north talk about it on occaision, but I am always thinking man thats some tire store!

Stoner133-Yeah man, the rainfall is adding up good, the mountains are getting alot of snow too, looks like we might escape the drought this summer. I am actually looking into putting out a lot plants to fend for themselves this summer without watering, considering how wet it has been.
The Watermellon was handy to use for holding the slack on the screen while I rolled it tight onto the pipe. I will say that I used it in the photo partly to see if anyone made a comment about it, and now almost a year later, and on a different site I finally have my comment! LOL!

Last edited:

Chaman

That was very nicely done my friend!

I was wonder'n how much that would all cost to put together but for my orquideas up in my trees, a pump might be needed if flow from the house in water presure isn't great enough....see in dry season its a real bitch to keep my orquideas going as they realy need to be humid most the time to be happy like in my wet season. Then a drip system for seedlings and recently cloned shoots so that they have a better risk of survival. Very nice indeed, thanks for take'n the time to help so many out with a comono problem.

Chaman

PHL8T ME

Wow, looks like lots of work......wait then again if selling any, even in bulk, it HAS to be well worth it!!!!! Kudos brother from another mother!

ErbloverOntario

i dont want to sound stupid but could someone explain how these systems that are gravity fed work, wouldent the water rez have to flow downwards in order for it to work, someone please explain how the water gets up and out of that pool upover the ridge etc.? or is there a pump or something?

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
Its not a stupid question at all. Its called a siphon, the plot is downhill from the rez. The water flowing downhill draws water up the tube in the rez and down hill, and so on and so forth.

The timer is located at the plot, when it shuts off, the whole pipe from the rez down to the timer is full of water, in a few days when the timer opens, it will all start again like it never stopped.

This system can be addapted easily to use a pump, but I like the simplicity of gravity feed. And I have plenty of mountain sides to put these on.

dmcheatw

wow looks like a complete auto irrigation system for 50-80 dollars depending on how much pipe ya need and if u use a res and what kind. that is well done BC, many thanks as i'll be implementing a system much like what you have described to water my plants over this season

in construction of your filter, is the only thing u wrapped the pvc with is screen? then u just dropped it into the water and let gravity do the rest? seems like it would work but i may want to wrap something a little more cloth/paper like to help filter it casue this stream has a fair amount of sediment suspended in it, have u tried anything like

anyone think a pool shop or fish place or landscape pond shop would have filters that could be adapted for use in such a system without having to be changed too frequently?

T.doT.Toker

Veteran
Opps.. lol i forgot ur down south bc :D. The drip tubes are 1/4 inch as well but they are only 2 feet long... you think it could be cause im up north? Anyone in ontario know whats going on?

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
dmcheatw-The pre-filter is only to keep the largest particles out, and is meant to be used with at least a small rez in the system. Most of the sediment that gets through will settle out in the rez, keep the outtake a few inches above the bottom so the sediment will have space to fall out.

You would have a hard time getting water through a tight fiber(cloth, paper) filter without a pump, and it would plug up often. You could do it if you had a clean drop a good distance down hill from the source, but it would be a trickle.

I would go with a screen type like mine, it has a large surface area, so it won't plug up fast. You just have to get out when ever you can to check your screens(put one inline where ever you can it the system). I'd say at least once a mon't if you can, if your water is that bad you would want to go at least that often, if not more. Wild water can be a pain in the ass.

In the end, it is best to use good clear water if at all possible, it saves alot of pain.

T.doT.Toker-Look for "Rainbird" products online, you might be able to order it, or find a dealer near you. Those lines should not be that spendy, its just semi-hard plastic straw on a roll.

T.doT.Toker

Veteran
I found a seller near me but they are only under the "Golf Course" irrigation. You think theyll have the tubes your talking about.

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
I'm not sure, there are lots of other brands as well. I'm not sure where to direct you, I have at least 20 stores within a 30 min drive that carry rolls of it, and I'm in a pretty rural area.

Plumbing stores, Home improvement stores, Hardware stores......

T.doT.Toker

Veteran
Hey they measure water output by gph right? Wats a good gph for a single plant?

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
I don't measure in gallons per hour.

I plan to give my plants 1 gallon of water every 3 days from Early July to mid-Sept(the dry season). This is based on what I gave my best plants last season, about 26 gallons each.

The combination of the timer and the flow ajusters will allow me to regulate how much water is given per watering. My timer opens for 15 minute increments(15,30,45,60, etc).
When I do the final ajustment, I will open the timer for 15 minutes, each 1/4" drip tube will be placed in a gallon container, I will open the valve for 15 minutes several times as I ajust each hose to 1 gallon per 15 minutes.

How much water your plants need per watering depends alot of the Summer climate where you are growing. My temps get into the 90s-100s(F) for about 2 months, and it is very dry, almost no rain for almost 3 months. Bare in mind that my plants could use even more water, but this seems to be good for the 3-4OZ per plant I am looking for.

Do you have plans T.dot.Toker? Feel free to share them if you like.

I'm going to go scouting for 2 more plots tomarrow, if it isn't raining to hard.

Fast Pine

BC....Need a little help...

I am designing my system, and have the funds to only do it once...It has to be rite the first time....Soooooo..................With traditional drip tubing..an a nice RES....

-How many feet directly up(up-hill) from the garden do you place the RES, in order to generate enough pressure?

-Ive heard that its good to get as much pressure behind the timer as possible...Hence putting it further down hill toard the garden....Is this correct.. ?

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
My 1st rez has a 20' drop in elevation to the plot, my 2nd and 3rd will be about the same or less.

The system in my garden had only a 5'-10' drop to the timers, but it worked great! I had heard the thing about the timers needing lots of pressure to operate, but in my experience last season they(the Gilmour type) will work perfectly with very low pressure.
I would still advise putting the rez uphill a ways, and to put the timer at the plot.

My reason for putting the timer at the plot is to make sure the siphon at the rez will always start when the system operates, and to make sure there is as little air in the system as possible when it starts up. Excess air can affect water flow for quite a while before the system purges it.

I went out in the drizzle today to look for plots. I found a great spot deep down in a roadless area, full of berry vines and such. One little patch of potential sunshine! I will have to work hard to bring water to it however, but I think it is do-able.

The 2nd plot will be easy to place, I'm going to just hike down off a logging road at random, in a place where the hill is steep, and south facing. I'll hike down 100-200' and look for a good plot. I'll dig it, place a rez, and fill it for the season with garden hoses run down from a vehicle on the road. Mark it with a GPS, and visit sparingly.

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
Tarbosh-Oops! I forgot to post a link to the thread where I showed the building of my Rez and how I filled it. I recently took the link out of mt signiture to minimize clutter. Click below:

bartender187

Bakin in da Sun
Veteran
thanks for the great resource,,, i have a similiar system, im thinking of switching over to drip emmitters. Currently i got a 55gal rain barrel hooked up to a timer, the timer hooks up to a 4way valve and off of it run 4 dripper hose. It seems to rather inefficent, and im draining my rez too fast. I got 20ish gals in 1gallon pots, i have them lined up in row with the hoses running on either side of the plants.

any suggestions would well taken.

bartender187

Bakin in da Sun
Veteran
BACKCOUNTRY said:
WAMEN-Yeah, I prefer to use natural sources to run my grow, water from right around me, and gravity pulling the water for me.

T.doT.Toker-I'd heavily enrich the soil with good organic ferts(animal manures like Steer), or use time release ferts like osmocote if I didn't care about the Organic factor. But since you will need to go start your gas pump each time, you could water with teas, or MG/Peters by hand.

dmcheatw-I'm actually not all that old, heheh. I'm definatly a Generation X'er, or maybe even a bit younger than that even.

Here is a prefilter I made from fiberglass window screen, PVC pipe, Fishing line, and plumbing/hose fittings.
Any questions on how to build it? Or do the pics tell the story?

Yah if you got some time, ide love a break down on it. Thats just a filter correct? What do you use to pump the water?

I bought a water well pump... Ive tested up rather steep incline to a water source about 500ft away (5-6 hoses) it worked great.