What's new

Growroom Electricity and Wiring

packn2puff

IC Official Assistant to the Insistent
Veteran
Dr GT..there has to be more to it than that..Code requires some specific circuits..
if you have a dryer connection..then there should be a dedicated 20A 120V laundry circuit near by(for the washer)..
the dryer would have it's own dedicated 240V 2 pole breaker..
Kitchen Small appliance circuits..Electric Range/Oven..if electric..bathroom circuit..etc
now a lot of general outlets might be on one 15A circuit..maybe also even a few lights..they do that a lot in cheaper builds..like mine..
if you needed to add recepticals..
15A circuit = 14 AWG wire
20A circuit = 12 AWG
there are exceptions and derating rules and over-rating conditions..but with romex or THHN this is pretty std.
you don't wanna load a circuit beyond 80%
and loads that stay on over 3 hrs like lights..are continuous loads..the power in Watts or VA is multiplied by 125%(the ballast power rating not the lamp)
1000W on the ballast would be considered 1250W
1250W / 120V = 10.4 Amps
1250W / 240V = 5.2 Amps (twice the voltage..half the current)
power doesn't change..maybe a little because of efficiency rating..but basically current times voltage is power
15A breaker @ 80% = 12A max load
20A breaker @ 80% = 16A max load
12A x 120V = 1440W or VA
16A x 120V = 1920W or VA

hope this helps some.. :dance013:

ItIsTime

I had opened a thread but I guess I confused my details and haven't gotten too many specific responses...

I live in the US, on the traditional 120v system in a residential home.

I want to take a room and convert it to a grow room, with 2 x 1000w ballasts, and 1 x 400w ballast.

I need some information here to know exactly what upgrades need done, and what equipment I need..

1.) I am seeing you need to multiply the current x 125% for continuous loads, so for a 1000w ballast that would be 1250w, like the above poster mentioned. 2 would total 2500w. factor in a 400w ballast + air conditioner and fans, and at any given time i might need close to 4kw.

2.) I know basics about electricity, but nothing too advanced. The breaker in the basement shows that the room I want to grow on is on a 30amp circuit.

3.) What upgrades need done to ensure that I can safely run 4kw in the room? This is my most important question. I thought I HAD to go 240v to run that much power. I'm willing to pay an electrician to do the necessary upgrades, whatever they may be. I just don't want electrical fires! Lol.

dontstepongrass

M.U.R.D.A. / FMB crew
Veteran
ITS TIME TO WIRE UP A SUB PANEL!

so here's my situation, shop space (with 3phase power) and i need to wire up a panel, run roughly 50-60 ft of wire back to the main. i'd like to have both 220 and 120 on the panel, which needs to support 4k+ constantly.

i have electronics experience, but i figured i'd get some advice on this...

point me in right direction?

Tilt

At 50 to 60 feet I would just run out the circuits I need from the main panel. 3 hots, one on each phase 1 neutral 1 ground #12 wire 20 amp breakers ran to a junction box then 20 amp duplex receptacles at each location you need power. 1930 watts available on each circuit.

real ting

I have a question about building a flip flop.

I want to make a 2 ballast, 4 light flip flop. The ballast are 240v.

Do I need to use the nema 6-20R 240v receptacles and plugs for the flip flop, or are the standard 120v kind fine?

What I had assumed is whether the ballast was 240v or 120v the output was the same, so the standard plugs would work on the flip flop, is that right?

Thanks in advance.

gus738

I live in the US, on the traditional 120v system in a residential home. i made a flower room and want to run
4 x 1000w hps to run continuously.

in the veg room going with 2 x 1000w mh ballasts continously
did some electrical upgrades had a electrician set up a dedicated 50 amp breaker going to a sub panel
with 6 (20 amp) breakers via a 12/2

I need some information here to know exactly if the upgrades that were done, meet or exceed
what i need to do and what equipment do I need if any more.

1.) so for a 1000w ballast x 4 that would be 5000w in light alone plus factor in a air conditioner and fans
and at any given time i might need close to 10kw?

2.) I know nothing or little electricity The breaker in the basement shows that the room
I want to grow on is on a 50amp circuit. so is this fine?

3.) What upgrades need done to ensure that I can safely run 4kw+ in the room of light plus fans etc?
that i might of missed or should get? This is my most important question

Just bought a sentinel hph-4 light controller that accepts a 3 wire power cord. The dryer outlet is a 4 prong so there is a extra wire can these be hooked together?
105_0134.jpg

105_0133.jpg

105_0131.jpg

MAD PENGUIN SORRY TO HEAR OF THAT BULLSHIT AND ITS JUST THAT BULLSHIT!!

I'VE HAD A BUNCH OF BAD STUFF HAPPEN OVER THE LAST COUPLE YEARS AND (THIS IS GONNA SOUND CORNY BUT) I'VE REALLY LEARNED WHEN BAD STUFF HAPPENS TO TRAIN MY MIND AND DECIDE NOT TO THINK ABOUT BAD SHIT. ITS REALLY THAT EASY TELL YOURSELF " I WILL FEEL GOOD AND FLIP THRU THOUGHTS IN YOUR MIND THAT ARE GOOD UNTIL YOU DON'T THINK ABOUT BAD STUFF ANYMORE

ANYWAY I APPRECIATE YOUR HELP HERE I'VE LEARNED ALOT

BETTER THOUGHTS 1776

larry187

ok, I have an old dedicated dryer line that I want to use for my grow room. From what I gather it is a 30amp 240v line. It is connected to the breaker panel (2 pole 30amp breaker) with red, black, white and ground wire.

What I want to do is install a sub-panel off this line. I assume it would have a 30amp main breaker at 240v. I want to change that to 120v with two single pole 15amp breakers in the sub panel. (all my gear like lights and everything is setup for 120v). The sub panel would be about 20-25 feet from the main panel.

I estimate that total power needed for the grow room would be about 3000watts (lights, pumps, fans)

Is this setup possible?

oahi

ok, I have an old dedicated dryer line that I want to use for my grow room. From what I gather it is a 30amp 240v line. It is connected to the breaker panel (2 pole 30amp breaker) with red, black, white and ground wire.

What I want to do is install a sub-panel off this line. I assume it would have a 30amp main breaker at 240v. I want to change that to 120v with two single pole 15amp breakers in the sub panel. (all my gear like lights and everything is setup for 120v). The sub panel would be about 20-25 feet from the main panel.

I estimate that total power needed for the grow room would be about 3000watts (lights, pumps, fans)

Is this setup possible?

hey their is a good chance that your dryer circut does not have a neutral and you will need one for your 110vac. is it a 3 wire or a 4 wire plug. and dont let anyone tell you to just use the ground wire

need a lil help wireing a howard magnetic ballast

need a lil help wireing a howard magnetic ballast

nvm

Attachments

• 6xx2xxcontsantwattageautotransformerBallastdiagram.jpg
    6xx2xxcontsantwattageautotransformerBallastdiagram.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 11

highgrade

Moved into a new house and had things getting set up when luckily someone was in the bedroom one night and told me they saw sparks coming from the main panel. I had replaced the main breaker due to electrical issues and it was arcing on one of the buss bars. Ended up having to do what I should have done from the start.
Used the old panel for a junction box, installed a new 200 amp panel outside with new service drop.

Attachments

• panel1.jpg
    panel1.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 13
  • panel3.jpg
    panel3.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 10
  • panel4.jpg
    panel4.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 12
  • dying diesel
    dying diesel
    146.4 KB · Views: 31

bluecoupe

i have a 120 deadicated cicuit in my house ,can i make the plug 240 ,add a double pull 20amp and just plug in my 1000w hps digital kit?

S

Sir_Nugget

This is extremely good info man.. exactly what i needed to kno to safely setup my 400w ballast kit from HTG supply

i am using a #16 wire that is 15 ft long from the ignitor to the socket, it is a 400w... would u guys recomend the 14 or the 12 gauge?

Latest posts

Latest posts