What's new

Growroom Electricity and Wiring

HerbalSmoke

Haha, it really is bro. My buddy out in Orgeon signed up so he can keep up with my grow journal instead of me sending him pic updates all the time. He never posts.

But yeah I wouldn't use an extension cord, really. If I did, I'd be constructing one out of extra Romex and a receptical or something.'

Regardless, thanks MP. Went ahead and cut my lights back to 12/12 on that timer today.

HerbalSmoke

Okay, so I lied. I'm posting one more time. I just finished wiring that receptical. NEVER AGAIN, will I cut the wire down to size BEFORE wiring it up. Lesson learned. Leave a couple feet of slack, and push it through when wired.

Well. It works. Been running about 15 minutes now, no problem. Still nervous about letting it run all night lol, hopefully I'm still here tmw.

Now I just need to get another timer for my other light, and get that ballast mounted in the mailbox as well.

Edit: I actually couldn't manage to secure that metal work box to the plywood below the floor. Meh. It's loose, but then again, it's also tucked into an obsecure corner that I only go into to play with my timers and shit. Basically, I never go back there. I did it like that so when I move out, I'm going to shut the breaker off and remove the circuit. I couldn't justfiy putting one in permanently into a rental. I'll pull it back out afterwards.

And in regards to that little picture you posted, I was CONSIDERING about getting one of those little power strip things that'll hold only two and plug both into that, but I changed my mind on that right quick. Went and found an old timer, I think it still works and it plugs into what I got just fine. I could have used a single receptical thing instead of two. But then again I planned on initially running 3 ballasts 24/7 on a flip, so I didn't plan on plugging in any timers to it.

Attachments

• Picture140.jpg
    Picture140.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 11

crosseyed

my friend built me outlets in each room where im able to run 20 1000w lights according to him. its all 120v..

i have 4 rooms total that he hooked up..

room 1 going to be 6 lights.. 2 30 amp breakers

room 2 going to be 6 lights.. 2 30 amp breakers

room 3 going to be 4 lights.. 1 30 amp breakers

room 4 going to be 4 lights.. 1 30 amp breakers

which gives u a total of 20 1000w lights if i wanted to (according to him).. thats not including my veg light runnin+fans+pumps+AC..little shit etc..

so i was wondering.. what is the max lights i can run at once?

my other buddy told me i have to have those 20 lights.. half on the most at a time.. so they have to be set on 12/12 from the get go.. so room 1,3 will be on at 6am to 6pm.. then room 2,3 will be on 6pmto6am..

he told me if i run more then half my lights on at once.. it might not be a good idea... this is from a buddy...

but the electrician told me i can run all 20 lights on at once if i wanted to... but i think that sounds too crazy.. all my stuff are still veggin so i havent even messed with my flower rooms yet.. so please tell me whats the most lights i can have on at once.. in my situation.. thanks in advance

HerbalSmoke

I'm gonna take a stab at this. Got nothing else to do, and I'm pretty confident I can do it? Might wanna wait on MP tho, regardless.

20,000w/120v = 170a (I always round up)

You need to look at your main breaker box. And you need to figure out how much power you're already POSSIBLY using at any given time in the rest of the house. Most breakers (I think) are either 100 or 200 amp rated. You're talking about running 170 or more (fans, AC, ect). Uhm, if that's ALL you're running, then yeah, I'd say you can run 'em all the time no problem. More than likely tho, you're probably going to be using more than 30 amps, and you really only want to run it at no more than 80% off the amp rating.

But you need to worry about tripping that main breaker if you're living in that house as well.

I'd 1/2 at a time.

madpenguin

You really aught to reconsider the use of 120v lighting with such a big operation.

Herbal is right on the math, atleast the equation. Didn't double check the answer. Using 120v just isn't practical.

With the rest of the stuff omitting the lighting, you'll probably be tripping the breaker. Well, you will be tripping the breaker. Dehumidifiers, AC units, your screwed unless you have a 400A service which I doubt you do.

Go 240 on the ballasts. It's the only way your going to make this work. Converting a 120 circuit to 240 is easy so no problem there.

madpenguin

attachment.php

Love that mailbox.... ;) If you still have orange cord coming out the other side, make sure you yank it and use romex or 600v rated flexible cord.

HerbalSmoke

Yeah, it's orange cord on the other side. It's 12 gauge wire though? I've got about 10' of spare romex, I'm only using about 5' of cable on the other side if that. Kept it as short as possible. It's basically a straight shot from the box (which is about 6" from the tent) to on top of the crate.

I wasn't going to get flexible cord, but meh. It was 12 gauge. If figured it didn't matter if it was stranded or not. Still wrong about that? I can replace it pretty easily if necessary. Either way, I need to make another trip to the hardware store, I'll see if I can't find out what the cord rating is. Gotta wire up that other ballast.

Crosseyed - On those 6 light rooms, you're running AT LEAST 50 amps on a 60 amp rated circuit. That's pushing it. You really don't wanna go over the 80% mark.

Those 4 light rooms? You run all 4 at once, and you're gonna trip your breaker. 4,000w/120v = 33.33a on a 30a circuit.

Based on this, I would seriously question your electrician friend and the wiring job he has done, as well as the advice he has given you. I strongly encourage you to listen to MP here and take his advice, everything he suggests is either for your ease or safety. Your "other" friend is giving you better advice than your electrician friend.

Edit: At least he's got motivation and ambition. That's a killer sized grow. I wouldn't do nothing like that unless I had a dedicated grow house, personally.

madpenguin

That orange cord is only rated for 300v. It has to be pulled load side of the ballast and replaced with 600v rated cord.

No hardware store is going to carry 600v rated flexible cord. If you want flexible cord, then your going to have to hit your local electric supply house. It's either that or use romex.

Check my sig for flexible cord ratings and their designations.

madpenguin

i have 4 rooms total that he hooked up..

I question the above. He better have run #10 gauge romex on all those runs or the 30A breakers need to be pulled.

I'm all worried about you now. Can you please provide me with the following information:

1.) What size wire and what type of wire is running from the panel to the receptacles on each one of those runs.

2.) What is the main breaker rating of your panel

3.) What type of 30A breakers are being used? Are they single pole or double pole?

You have a potentially hazardous situation on your hands, make no mistake. Your friends choice of 120v makes me question whether or not he really knows what he is doing.

Also the choice of 30A breakers was a bad one IMO.

Please post back for the safety of you and those around you.

HerbalSmoke

Ah shit. I went with it because the last ballast I owned had orange flexible cable being used. I think it was 10g and not 12, but meh.

I've got some leftover romex I'll rig up. I'll just use the orange cable to run ballast to receptical, and... well I'll probably have to grab another 10' of romex as well. Unless the HVAC store has what I'm looking for. Obviously I'd rather have flexible cable. I worry about breaking the wire in that solid strand stuff, that's the only reason I didn't use romex the first time around.

But MP has HAS to be done, so it shall be.

crosseyed

I question the above. He better have run #10 gauge romex on all those runs or the 30A breakers need to be pulled.

I'm all worried about you now. Can you please provide me with the following information:

1.) What size wire and what type of wire is running from the panel to the receptacles on each one of those runs.

2.) What is the main breaker rating of your panel

3.) What type of 30A breakers are being used? Are they single pole or double pole?

You have a potentially hazardous situation on your hands, make no mistake. Your friends choice of 120v makes me question whether or not he really knows what he is doing.

Also the choice of 30A breakers was a bad one IMO.

Please post back for the safety of you and those around you.

1) hes using 10 gauge. its orange on the outside ( i know nothing about electric)

2) i do not understand ur question

3) they are single pole

he hooked up my buddies house.. same situation like me.. instead of running 4 lights in the room where its built for 4.. my buddy only ran 3... and instead of running 6 lights in the room built for 6.. my buddy only ran 5.. but my buddies operation is only 10 lights flowering max..

also.. the electrician didnt do 240 here because then he would have to set up those heavy duty timer boxes.. am i correct?

and i also questioned him if the breaker is 30 amp.. and each 1000w light basically pulls 8.5 amps.. isnt that over 30 amps.. he said yeah.. u can use 30 or a little bit over.. and along as u dont go over by 120%.. i dontknow. im just gonna be safe and only plug in 3 in the 4 light room. an 5 in the 6 light room..

thanks for the info u guys.. very helpful

madpenguin

You can just barely get away with running 3 1kw lights on one 30A circuit. Do Not put anything else on there.

By main breaker rating, I mean your main breaker in the panel.

It's usually up top, really big and it kills power to the entire panel... What numbers are on the handle.. As in, what Amperage is your main breaker rated for?

I guess the 30A SP circuits are acceptable as long as there is #10 orange wire feeding the receptacles.

Just make sure you never go over 24A on a 30A circuit. 3 1kw lights puts you slightly over but it should be alright.

When your friend said 125%, he meant the breaker had to be sized to 125% of the load for that circuit.

8.5A x 3 ballasts = 25.5A
25.5A x 125% = 31.875A

So he used a 30A circuit. Technically you are 1.875A over the allowable ampacity for a continuous load circuit but it _shouldn't_ hurt anything.

1.) Do you live in this house?
2.) What's the rating of your Main Breaker?

madpenguin

O.k.... Your friend must have actually and literally said you can run over 30A. I thought you just misunderstood him but if he is telling you you can run 4 1kw'ers on 1 30A circuit then this guy is going to burn someones house down.

On rooms 1 and 2 you can just barely squeeze 3 lights on each circuit for a total of 6 lights. BUT, that leaves you no room to run fans, pumps, dehumidifiers, AC units or anything else. Seriously, Nothing else. You need another dedicated circuit to all 4 rooms for your fans, pumps and all that shit.

For rooms 3 and 4 you can only run 3 lights in each room, NO MORE. Your friend has a screw loose if he thinks you can run 4 - 1kw'ers on one 30A circuit.

So, to recap:

3 lights per circuit, NO MORE!

6 lights in room 1
6 lights in room 2
3 lights in room 3
3 lights in room 4

Now you need more circuits to each room for peripherals.

crosseyed

its a house. im going to run the pumps+fans etc into the regular house outlets.. ill get the info on that main panel for u later tonight or tomorrow. thanks for the replies bro.

PharmaCan

Veteran
also.. the electrician didnt do 240 here because then he would have to set up those heavy duty timer boxes.. am i correct?

WTF have you got for timers now? If you are trying to time this with anything less than heavy duty timers, unless you are hooked to relays, you are screwed.

What kind of idiot did this wiring for you? You ought to hand that guy a hot wire while he's taking a piss!

MP is taking you down the right path. I'm sure he'll get to the timers sooner or later. But you really should switch this over to 240v. 240v is just two 120v's working together. There's no super sizing or voodoo mystery to it.

PC

madpenguin

Yea PC, that's a good point about the timers. I wasn't even thinking about it TBH. For 120v circuits, you would need one timer per light.

This really should have been wired for 240v along with employing relays. One timer per room for the lights and the timers only see a quarter amp or less.....

Even with a 200a service, and you NOT living there, it's not going to work running all the lights at 120v...

SmokinErb

So this here is my "thanks" to MP. I now have my grow room wired up completely and safely. I couldn't have honestly done it without your help man. Granted I didn't get it totally finished until like Day 7 of flowering haha, but I did get it done.

I replaced that orange cable with some 600v rated black flexible cable going from ballast-to-lamp last night as per your suggestion. $1 per foot, I couldn't say no.

I wired up my other ballast and have that ready flip on here in a couple hours. This will be the first test of it, but I'm like 99% sure it'll fire up.

I learned helluva lot in this process. I came here not knowing which wire was the hot or the neutral haha. I old-worked a new circuit. Wired up the recepticals. Wired up 2 ballasts and mogul base sockets. Oh, and I didn't die, or burn anything down. (Thanks to him telling me to get that orange cord out.)

I'm going to edit back with some pics of it all, once the lights turn on. Thanks again, bro. You've been a lifesaver. Probably literally.

SmokinErb

And the pics.

Oh! I also made a little cage to protect the lights. Haven't put that in yet. It's not a ScOG, but rather in case a branch breaks. Dunno if I'll run 5 1/2' of it in there, or just cut out little 1' sections for each light. Either way, there's going to be something between those branches and the light.

Attachments

• Picture146.jpg
    Picture146.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Picture147.jpg
    Picture147.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Picture144.jpg
    Picture144.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Picture150.jpg
    Picture150.jpg