What's new

growing shrooms off my used promix.

lordbudly

Veteran
Yea you could use that mix.. I'm not 100% on that manure.. I've never heard of anybody using it.. You can't get Coco?? Try that manure tho and see how it turns out.. Manure is a good substrate but Coco is just as good and can easily be gotten at PetSmart... Is that manure the only substrate available to you?? Or are you just using it because you heard somebody say that manure grows the best mushrooms.. To be honest the only good thing about m anure is the price, when it's free.. But if you are going out and purchasing something pick up some Coco Coir blocks instead.. But if all you can find is that manure give it a try..

About your strains question... Can you re-word that I can't make it out.. If your asking for a strain to use I'm saying that it doesn't really matter when using Cubensis.. They are all the same, there really is no such thing as "strains".. If you want specific characteristics yoiu will need to isolate them..

nearest pet smart is a round trip of 2 hours... :mad: or any pet store for that matter, anything needed for my cats or rabbits is mainly walmart ... i live pretty much away from every major or important place, pretty much mayberry here

lordbudly

Veteran
went shoppin today, neither feed store carries straw, but i got me 12 half pint jars, and a bag of wild bird seed, im gonna start the soak tonight, then strain & rinse for a long while and let drain, fill up my jars and pc them, and store them until a syringe arrives, what would you reccomend i innoculate at? should i do more then 1 cc for insurance / faster colonization? does masking tape work as a good filter

johnyhash

Cannabis Connoisseur
ICMag Donor
Hey lord glad to hear your going to start a project. After soaking the grains for 24 hours, you should simmer to the correct doneness. Let the moisture on the surface of the grains dry before loading into your jars. 1 cc of sporewater should be fine. I havent used masking tape for a filter or heard of it being used for a filter.

As for cube strains i find them all to be different. Different types of highs, appearence, fruiting potential, and potency. Some strains are just bunk in my oppinion, so choose wisely. Peace.

lordbudly

Veteran
maybe i missed the filter part, isnt it a breathable thing you put over your inoculation holes? like porous masking tape?

simmer? i was just doing an overnight soak in a bucket, like the 6ts tek on shroomery said, for wild bird seed bulk spawning tek, then run under faucet with a strainer for a while and let drain until no water drips off

Simply place whatever quantity you intend to use in a plastic pot, tub or bucket. Bear in mind, dry seed will expand about 20 to 25% - after it absorbs its capacity of water. Add tap water & soak the seed overnight. A 8 to 12 hour soak is fine. Seed soaked longer will begin to ferment. But, is still usable after soaking 24 to 36 hours.

There is no need to remove any floating husks, or sunflower seeds. These add lignin ( a good thing) & do not harbor any more possible contams than does the millet. It is all going to get thoroughly sterilized - anyway.

Once soaked, simply rinse the seed very thoroughly in a colander, or strainer. Then allow it to drain - WELL. As in 30 or more minutes. If it is drips - one drop. It is not drained - WELL.

Load pint or quart jars ¾ full, apply internal filter disk, material, polyfil or whatever method you use allow gas exchange through a ¼ or 3/8 inch hole in the lid. Screw lid on tight & back it off ¼ turn. Place a double layer of paper coffee filters over the lid & jar top, held down by a thick rubber band. Place the jars in the PC.

PC at 15 pounds for a full 60 minutes. 90 minutes is better, if you have the time. Allow the PC pressure to drop to zero & let it cool a bit. Open while still hot & remove jars. The paper coffee filters will dry almost instantly, when the PC is opened. Tighten lids (if necessary), shake jars to insure there are no clumps of seed inside. Place jars inside the oven on a rack, to cool, overnight. External coffee filters simply add another layer of protection to the jars content.

by filter did you mean the coffee filter inbetween the jar and the lid?

johny or 79, should i set aside other wbs and have that be completely bone dry, to place on the last 1/4 of the jar? on the pf cake tek they make it deathly important to have the dry spot on top and no wet cake can touch air or death. :joint: phew i think im out of questions tonight....

johnyhash

Cannabis Connoisseur
ICMag Donor
Hey lord the tek should work but I dont think you will get enough moisture in the grains with just soaking and not simmering. Dont put any dry birdseed in the top layer of the jars, its not like pftek where you use a layer of dry verm for a filter, you will be shaking the jars so it wouldnt make a difference. Coffee filter is somethig you put on after kinda like a dust cover just some extra protection... coffee filter would not work on its own.

johnyhash

Cannabis Connoisseur
ICMag Donor
Hey heres a pic of the second flush coming in, looks like it might be better than the first. The big tub has been cased and should show pins in three days.
picture.php

picture.php

lordbudly

Veteran
actually this tek you fill it up more and let it colonize like a normal cake, so is there anything wrong with this?

soak wbs (done)
bring water to a boil and back the heat down to lowest boil it can go
cook for 1 hour
load jars 3/4's full
add coffee filter
add lid with 2 holes, and masking tape over the top
back up lid just a little bit
add foil to top
pressure cook ( quick question i looked up my pc model and its a 10psi, should i cook for 90 minutes?)
let cool
innoculate
wait until colonization
moonure with a small amount of peat
pillowcase pasturize
place half in 66qt sterilite clear tote
break up spawn evenly
add other half of manure and peat
plastic wrap top
add lid
wait until colonization
remove plastic
fan and mist 3-4x daily
harvest?

johnyhash

Cannabis Connoisseur
ICMag Donor
Hey lord dont cook the birdseed for one hour usually it takes about 10-15 minutes of simmering, I take it off when some of the smaller grains start to burst, then rinse it with cold water. You could fill your jars to the top, it will just take longer and you wont be able to shake them.

I pressure cook my grains for 90 minutes always. It sounds like your getting on the right track, your getting the idea forsure, just makesure your substrate is not too moist. I wouldnt be misting your substrate after its colonized, and i wouldnt fan that much before pins actually show. Your also forgetting about the garbage bag liner in the bottom of the monotub and you need some holes drilled in it so it can breathe. Drill some small holes in the bottom for draining after a dunk cover them with duct tape. Try and get some gypsum into your bulk sub mix. Peace.

johnyhash

Cannabis Connoisseur
ICMag Donor
heres another pic of the second flush some of the specimens have reached the lid of the tub, they are about a foot in length. Too bad this amazon strain is low potency. Switching back to z strain as soon as my order gets here.

picture.php

79towncar

Lord don't use a coffee filter.. Use Tyvek for a filter or buy filter disks online.. Also always place the filter between the lid of the jar and the ring that screws onto the jar.. If the filter gets wet it reduces it's effectiveness.. Use strips of tyvek.. Tevek can be gotten for free from USPS some of there free or very cheap envelopes are made of Tyvek.. Be careful when the WBS is colonizing.. Since it is made up of different colored seeds it can sometimes be hard to identify contamanination.. So keep ontop of them.. Chech them every other day for contams..

Also when it comes to misting.. You should only mist if you feel your substrate needs it.. Usually about once every few days once pins start showing.. Also about fanning.. Contrary to what many belive Fresh Air Exchange is the single most important factor to fruiting... Alot of people think it's light but thats not true.. Most experienced growers expose there monotubs to some light during colonization of jars and bulk substrates.. Light does help induce pinning and the substrate will use light energy to convert into fruitbodes but Fresh Air is very important.. Full colonization is usually the most important factor to begin pinning followed by fresh air.. You should def Fan your bins a couple times a day while trying to induce pinning.. As long as you don't kill your humidity while doing so there is nothing wrong with that.. An even better way is to have a oscilating fan close to the bins blowing fresh air around the bins.. Make sure the holes you drill into the monotub are right abouve the surface of where the substrate will be.. CO2 has a tendency to get caught laying around the top of the colonized substrate.. You need fresh air exchanges for fruiting without a doubt..

But getting to what JonnyHash was advising was not to fan waiting for pins, I think he means because you need a very high humidity to get pins.. So you need them both....

79towncar

Jon nice fruits.. Too bad about the potency issues.. You should try some isolation.. You could keep your best performers forever and every harvest will be amazing.. Just how weed breeders always keep the mothers to keep the genetics the same.. It's the same thing.. It's not much work.. Just takes time and patience, like everything else haha...

johnyhash

Cannabis Connoisseur
ICMag Donor
hey towncar I cloned four different mushrooms using tissue transfered to grain they are almost colonized. I dont think there is any shrooms from these spores that are potent, I would probally have to eat a quarter to get the high i like. The bruising is a dead give away they hardly bruise blue. I will run with a clone until my zstrain syringe gets here.

some more juicy jumbos picked today.
picture.php

lordbudly

Veteran
i did some more reading and it seems grain jars need more gas exchange,and the need for a filter over masking tape, so i was thinking a quarter sized hole with polyfil, would i be able to get away with fanning and no holes with polyfil in my tote? or is that a must? i read some other teks and the wbs soak is more to germinate contams so they are susceptible to pasteurization

johnyhash

Cannabis Connoisseur
ICMag Donor
Hey lord you are right the soak is to germinate endo spores so they are killed durring the sterilization process, otherwise its possible they survive.

Polyfill filters work great and are easy to use, you should go with it. You dont need a whole that big. I would deffinitly put holes in the bin stuff them with pollyfill. You could probally get away with none, but when it comes to shrooms you should just follow some things to the letter.

johnyhash

Cannabis Connoisseur
ICMag Donor
Hey lord for the jars make the hole a little smaller than dime size. The bin you want some holes near the substrate, but i would make them a couple inches above it so i can dunk the sub insibe the tub. You want some holes near the top aswell, how many it really depends on the size of your tub, the depth of substrate but im not an expert on monotub design yet. Peace.

79towncar

You want to have an even balance of Fresh air exchange and high humidity.. So the holes have to be big enough to let air get in and out.. But they have to be small enough to keep humidity in.. So start with the least amount of holes you think you need.. Remember you can always add holes but you can't put them back.. You also can stuff more or less polyfill into the holes to limit/increase the amount of air...

For your jars your holes don't need to be big at all.. What most people do its have 2 small holes opposite each other on the top of the jars.. Just big enough for the spore syringes to get into.. You don't want Fresh Air Exchange with jars, you want Gas Exchange.. These are 2 different terms people confuse.. You only want gasses to echange in the jars.. You don't want fresh air getting in, that's how they get contaminated...