What's new

Growing seeds from hermie mom's?

G

Ganja D

Hi fellow growers,
I was curious if it's possible to grow out seeds from hermie mom's and have good results. Would the plants def be hermaphrodite or is it just more likely? The herms in this case were caused by light leaks. I have 3 different phenos of one strain and 3 other strains all seeded by one of my phenos, so the pollen all came from the same variety. All the genetics are awesome and the herm was human error. I now have all these crazy crosses I'd love to start sometime in the future for fun and to see if anything special comes out. Will I be wasting my time and space and risk seeding an otherwise healthy crop. The strains that were seeded are strawberry cough, (a rare version from black label seeds that I don't have much info on but smells, tastes and smokes unreal) a mystery Kush from LA rumered to be pure kush, blue moonshine, and rezdogs double strawberry diesel. All pollinated by my best and most diesel pheno of dsd. I still have moms of the dsd and this was a few crops ago, all problems have since been fixed. Are these seeds doomed or could they be incredible? Would there be a diference between the various crosses and the self seeded pheno. Sorry if this was kind of long, any knowledge, input or ideas on the subject would be appreciated.
Thanks.

jyme

ganja d
well some will be hermies and some all females there will be no males so ive read and experianced as most bag seeds are acedental pollanation by a hermie in a grow room that they didnt catch in time ill tell you what though i would love to have some of those seeds those are amazing crosses and if you ever bought a femalized seed from a bank the oddes is that they come from hermies to as ive read thats how most growers make there femalized seeds i guess they have it to an art or somthing but yes some seeds will be hermies did i mention i would love to have some of those seeds

ToughGirl

I've done it. 100% females that all hermed late into bloom. If you must grow them, start them at 12/12 and bloom them small and fast, maybe it will work.

jyme

i have read where some were not hermies that they are some good females that will come out of the pollination i dont know the numbers on this though and if i grew them i would treat them all as hermies but i would grow them just because its one hell of a cross

I

igrohydro

I've done it. 100% females that all hermed late into bloom. If you must grow them, start them at 12/12 and bloom them small and fast, maybe it will work.

Hardly 100% female if they all herm'd!
Not recon they were all hermi's?
peace.:deadxmas:

boroboro

I just finished a harvest starting with hermie produced seeds. Started with about 35 seedlings. Vegged for about 2 weeks. A few weeks into flower I ended up with 6 real females, about 3 males, and 20+ hermies. Killed all the hermies and males, and the 'true' females ended up very nice, not a single male flower found on those through the entire flowering stage. A nice enough product that I'm re-vegging them for a second chance.

I thought it was interesting that the 'true' females appeared very similar, like clones. Starting genetics were much more varied. The original hermies generating these seeds were several generations removed from the purchased seeds I started with.

Anyway, if I do it again I'll start with at 7 to 10 times more seedlings than I plan on flowering.

DutchMastaKilla

When your plants turn Hermie late into flowering say like week 7,how does this affect the smoke or finished product. How do those "Bananas" smoke?

jyme

yes totaly agreed on although ive never had any males come up thats just my luck i guess but interesting fact 6 out of 30 if i was to plant those seeds i would start with 100 get them up a foot and take clones from them then strait to a 12/12 with those cuttings induce flowering and sort out my troubled plants i would take my males outdoors and collect some pollen then put my hermies in a sepret grow house and keep my females in there orignal room to finish there life as i know not all people can do this if you only have one grow room or house just keep the females and discard the rest of the plants

Last edited:
G

Ganja D

Thanks for the input everyone. Boroboro, those look great.
I prob won't start the seeds anytime soon, I got other things going on but I gave some to a few friends so I report how it goes for them here in the future.
Thanks.

I'm 2 1/2 weeks into 12/12 with selfed seeds, 5 or 6 seem to be 100% female while 3 or 4 are definite hermys with few bananas that are almost hidden under buds, only reason i grew these suspect seeds is my bro grew 4 out 12/12 from seed and no hermis.

my experience w/ the parents shows hermis can give a decent yield w/ average-very good resin production if bananas are limited

that said, next run back to legit seeds

hemp23

yes totaly agreed on although ive never had any males come up thats just my luck i guess but interesting fact 6 out of 30 if i was to plant those seeds i would start with 100 get them up a foot and take clones from them then strait to a 12/12 with those cuttings induce flowering and sort out my troubled plants i would take my males outdoors and collect some pollen then put my hermies in a sepret grow house and keep my females in there orignal room to finish there life as i know not all people can do this if you only have one grow room or house just keep the females and discard the rest of the plants

could i buy some periods please?

jyme

lol ................ there is afew for you hemp...............lol.....i forget to do that frome time to time.............

These are all hermies, came from hermie mom. These which are left here, had only 1 or 2 balls visible during 3 week of flower. Cut them off and no visible male flowers anymore around. 3 plants had to be cut, because they had more balls when flowering went further. :comfort:

potheadmd

I throw all hermies out and the same with the seeds no time 2 waste for hoping they wont hermie out Ill just buy some more seeds and start making my own seeds. I also have limited space.

B. Friendly

"IBIUBU" Sayeith the Dude
Veteran
working with same thing now. Of 9 seeds popped from hermie crop i got 7 fem's and 2 stud's. We'll see what happens with crosses of males to fem's next time around. Dif pheno's I am noticing but i bet that's from the genetics inside the hermie original parents??

zeppelindood

Captain Expando
Veteran
I'd like to add that some type of soil stress or light variation/leak could force a few flowers during the flowering period and produce a small number of seeds, having nothing what so ever to do with the genetics of the plant. The resulting seeds will be S1 and resemble the mother contributor.

HydroManiac

I have some females that came from plants that self polinated and they turned out to be some of my best stuff. The original females I think need to be great genetics to make it worth it because I have done it from not so great genetics and the weed sucked but that goes for any mj genetics genetics etc. One more thing there is strength in numbers the more seeds you grow the better selection you will have I am going to grow out pretty much my whole stash of seeds I have collected from known great genetics because I collected some before I know what I know now and before I was as orderly as I am now so I am not sure if some are form self polinated or not and from here on out I will know where every thing came from. Saying all that I am really excited to see what I come up with

tittiefish

I'd like to add that some type of soil stress or light variation/leak could force a few flowers during the flowering period and produce a small number of seeds, having nothing what so ever to do with the genetics of the plant. The resulting seeds will be S1 and resemble the mother contributor.

That was always my understanding too Zepp that if a plant turns hermie strictly because of environmental stress it will produce feminized seeds, but if it goes hermie because of a genetic predisposition it's seeds will produce more hermies for the most part. Of course it's been a few years since I wore my growers cap so I wasn't sure if I just had some of my facts mixed up.