What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Growing in cougar country

Jmangenetics

I was talking to a realtor in humboldt county who shows people Remote parcels of land for sale All of the time And he was telling me stories about showing these properties for sale in coming up on mountain lions that were not Afraid or running and he also has been with potential property buyers on the pieces of land for sale and came up on cartels with machine guns

Tyga

Veteran
Damn... I thought you were growing in the upper class suburban neighborhood filled with wealthy older women. -.- I'm in dreamland over here.....

Apache Kush

Holly Old thread BUMP Batman!

Cool..

I Read the whole thread and think Ill add mine also. There were a few good lions stories indeed.

I liked the tiger pulling guys out the canoe one at a time (was a Joe Roegan stand up joke I saw him do in a stand up special will link it) and the Indian lumberjacks with the eyes in the back of their heads; the mountain bike one; that happens a lot actually with people on bikes; they look like deer to lions. The guy who was saved by his bike helmet. People with small children in predator country are just asking for it.

Reminds me of a Tv special on like, ‘’When predators attack’’ or some shit..

This little girl got pounced on going down a trailhead in Canada or some place. She was still wearing around the neck a floatation device for the lake or whatnot, the thick foam was all bit up by canine teeth but it saved the little girls life.

That guy who walked backwards for several miles while being followed, smart idea. You turn or lower your head and that provokes their hunting instincts to attack.

Heard another fellow fisherman on the Rim say he was walking back to camp to his buddy’s already roaring fire. It was dusk, going to zero dark thirty. He said he could hear the lion breaking sticks and branches on the opposite side of the canyon behind him. Said it follow him till he got closer to the camp/fire...it was dust/dark so that is pretty close call as that is when they hunt. Same canyon mind you that I myself have spotted two elk and a deer killed right on the water!

One time on the rim, my setter was still coming out of her heat cycle or period. Dumb. I had her down in the canyon on the lake, tied to a tree while I was fishing. I got out of her view and she started whining a little.

I come back to the spot about 10 minutes later. My eye just got a glimpse of a dark figure of movement a ways off. I looked across the lake and notice the movement again on the far other side of the canyon wall. I was like YESS Bigfoot! Hah…

Damn, no… just a hungry juvenile black bear; maybe a yearling. So I started a small fire with some tinder I grab close by. I know bears know what campfires smell like- humans -and to let the bear know there was a man here! Not just a meal ticket tied to a tree lol...

The smoke from my small fire blew right up the canyon towards the bears direction (DIRECTLY DOWNWIND go figure) It started moving back the way it came in, but did so ever so stealthy. I tried to follow him with the naked eye for a few minutes and he used the tall shadows of the pines to blend in and vanish till I lost it. I think it came running from at least few canyons over; all from just a few drops of blood. Makes you wonder about using blood meal/bone meal

Madjag

Veteran
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Apache Kush

HUh? No..

The mule just got into finding the dead lions at the end of the hunt. Add played around.
Like when you shoot quail and the dog plays with it. The mule didn't really defend itself.

Come to think of it Mtn. lions take wild horses calf's all the time. Wild horses would get worked so they just take it or get worked in the process and still lose the baby, no way one mule could.
Whatched a thing on this wild horse herd in CO.

Drunken Buddha

Saw two cougars over the last year. Both were crossing a back, two-lane paved road at sunset and scooted across stealthily in a low crouch position. Since it was within a 100 yard area both times I think it was the same cat being sighted twice.

A friend that used to walk that road between the two small Arizona towns that it connects saw the actual lion at sunset one evening 5 years ago at the exact same place. He heard a noise and pointed his flashlight into the darkness. To his great surprise and a big adrenaline rush he saw two eyes glowing and then the outline of the whole cougar that was just crouched somewhat and fixed staring at him. He backed up away from the barb wire fence next to the road and kept moving slowly up the road....

Drunken Buddha

Estimates:

California is #1 for lion populations with approximately 4,500.
Arizona is #2 with 3,000 lions.
Montana, Idaho, Washington, Colorado, and the other western states have their own smaller populations.

Drunken Buddha

cougars are solitary animals. they dont prey on humans. you have more of a chance of getting stuck by lightning than a cougar attack. The only place ive ever heard of cat attacks is socal. Its always a child or female jogger( probably on the rag) and the cat is starving because a housing development was put in where it used to hunt. if you are lucky enough to even see a cat consider yourself blessed.

Some year ago, near Idaho Springs on the high school running track, a young high school guy was "skeletonized" by a lion that hit him from above and behind. That term is the medical descriptor for what lions do to their prey....why waste any tasty morsels, eh?

Easy7

Veteran
Makes some noise. Bear mace.

Don't let your dog off leash or it may be their last walk. Dogs are also a set of eyes and ears. The smell real good too!

Don't wear soaps or perfumes.

Some year ago, near Idaho Springs on the high school running track, a young high school guy was "skeletonized" by a lion that hit him from above and behind. That term is the medical descriptor for what lions do to their prey....why waste any tasty morsels, eh?

Makes some noise. Bear mace.

Don't let your dog off leash or it may be their last walk. Dogs are also a set of eyes and ears. The smell real good too!

Don't wear soaps or perfumes.

By being skeletonized, I take it he had his bones licked clean. Bad way to go.

Saw a clip on youtube of dogs being attacked by large cats. It was all security camera footage. Most of them were small house dogs that were sleeping at night. Poor little buggers. The first clip had what looked to be a jaguar come thru a doggy door into the laundry and grab this fox terrier by the neck and then walk off camera.

The last clip was of a Doberman laying down in a courtyard at night. It had on a thick wide leather collar and heavy chain. While it looks to be sleeping, this cougar comes in low, sneaking across the courtyard. When it's about eight feet from this Doberman, the dog flies at this cougar, attacking it straight up.
It doesn't take long for the cougar to grab the dog by the back of the neck and put one of it's paws over the dogs back, pushing it to the ground. The dog was defeated at that stage. Was only saved after the owner opens the back door and the cougar took off. If it never had that heavy duty collar, it would of been toast.

Drunken Buddha

A collar mounted with sharp metal 1" long studs protruding on tough, wide leather....that's what my neighbor has on his Pit Bull so if it gets in a fight the other dog cannot chomp his dog's neck or get a death hold.

Easy7

Veteran
About all that is here are coyotes. Further south has some poisonous snakes. Not much further south is the northern territory for copper heads. Then further than that is the nearly extinct rattler of some kind.

The worst thing to watch for, are the people.

St. Phatty

You mean, Cougar Country like the mountain lion that ate 2 of my cats and one of my chickens ?

I think I already grew in Cougar Country ... suburbia and the city.

In THAT cougar country, most cougars don't care if you grow Pot.

Guess they have something in common with mountain lion cougars ?! ... but with one advantage - they don't eat your pets.

redlaser

Veteran
Our neighbor had a newer group of goats that were fairly young, one morning he found one of them had been taken out of the fenced in area and killed. The way he described it, it was either decapitated or nearly so.

Following morning all the rest were dead as well, most left the way the first one was. They all were left on a large pile of tree root wads left over from excavation work.
He has seen the lions in the morning crossing a field by his house.

Another neighbor lady jogs various trails and roads in the area, usually early in the morning. She says one time she heard this “wooshing” sound, and looked in that direction to see a lion finishing off a deer.

I’ve only seen one with the help of a game camera, got a decent sized one coming through one night by our garage.

My daughter saw a young lion cross the road at night this spring. She has a friend in the area that claims they see multiple lions in the trees at dusk where they live.