What's new

Growers are just saying NO to pot legalization

Growers are just saying NO to pot legalization

• id vote no also, it would decrease price.

Votes: 154 28.3%
  • id vote yes, the increased market will still keep prices up.

Votes: 391 71.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
Growers are just saying NO to pot legalization... in this format anyway.

You’d think a law legalizing marijuana would have pot growers jumping for joy. It would increase the pool of customers and provide more freedom to sell and grow marijuana. But Bay Area grower Scott, who declined to give his last name, says the grass won't be greener if Californians vote this November to legalize pot for recreational use.

“I’m looking at it from a business standpoint,” Scott says. “I have some concerns about potential tax implications should [the initiative] pass."

The "Regulate, Control and Tax Cannabis Act of 2010" would allow people 21 or older to possess, cultivate, and transport small amounts of marijuana for personal use. It would also allow cities and counties full control on how or if they would sell and tax the pot.

But cannabis cultivator Scott says he doesn't want the increased tax burden or the surge in competitors. He says he grows, on average, 20 pounds of pot a month. It retails for $70,000, which translates into more than $400,000 a year. He says, "Frankly, I’m concerned about increased competition. It's the same as if I owned a gas station. The last thing I'd want is more gas stations on my block.”

Matt Witemyre, an advocate of the Cannabis Act, and facilitator at Oaksterdam University, a school that certifies pot growers, says “Our most recent poll [by Survey USA] shows 56% of California support taxing and regulating cannabis, so we're very excited to see support in our state.”

Witemyre says California blazed a trail when it legalized medical marijuana. Thirteen other states followed suit. He's hoping voters do it again this November. He and other supporters say taxing marijuana would bring in 1.4 billion in additional tax revenue for the state. "When we're talking about laying off state employees, sending police and firefighters home and continually raising tuition on CA students, it's ridiculous to leave that opportunity on the table," says Witemyre.

But grower Scott says he will definitely vote no. He says the pro-cannabis measure would ultimately hurt his small business.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36847758/ns/local_news-los_angeles_ca/

big f****** suprise???

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
Hopefully grower Scott realizes this is bigger than his simple greed

poking smot

I'm cool with my med card. I don't like the language in the bill. Maybe next time around it will be written better.

Rednick

One day you will have to answer to the children of
Veteran
I made the mistake of taking the time to read that bill.
Too bad it will probably pass. The little guy is going to get pushed out, while the conglomerates take over.
So he Grosses 400k/yr...the net is less, and will be a lot lot less if TAXES proposed are enacted.

But we have enough stupid legislation to read in this State.

Hopefully, somebody (WA, OR, MI??) will take the time to get it right.!

ThcInfused

ThcInfused - is that even true? 1oz limit on harvest? That seems retarted.

unfortunately, yes its true.

(a) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, it is lawful and shall not be a public offense under California law for any person 21 years of age or older to:
(i) Personally possess, process, share, or transport not more than one ounce of cannabis, solely for that individual’s personal consumption, and not for sale.
(ii) Cultivate, on private property by the owner, lawful occupant, or other lawful resident or guest of the private property owner or lawful occupant, cannabis plants for personal consumption only, in an area of not more than twenty-five square feet per private residence or, in the absence of any residence, the parcel. Cultivation on leased or rented property may be subject to approval from the owner of the property. Provided that, nothing in this section shall permit unlawful or unlicensed cultivation of cannabis on any public lands.
(iii) Possess on the premises where grown the living and harvested plants and results of any harvest and processing of plants lawfully cultivated pursuant to section 11300(a)(ii), for personal consumption.

ForestBuds

What about patients who are protected under Prop 215 law. Will Prop 215 law trump the "Regulate, Control and Tax Cannabis Act of 2010?"

I would vote "no" on this particular bill in November is for a few reasons:

1) by being able to grow in a 25sq ft. area, but only allowed to possess 1 ounce of finished product, I am AUTOMATICALLY made a criminal. Even with 10 or 5 sq ft., I can get 4 ounces off 1 plant. And speaking of one ounce, I believe the law states that if personal use requires more than one ounce, you can prove that in court. So, at what amount does the court say, "that's more than personal, that' an addiction, now go to treatment!"

2) allowing the cities and counties to regulate storefronts and growers makes for an easy monopoly, i.e. Richard Lee in Oakland. Anti trust laws are FEDERAL and how would you sue for violating federal anti-trust laws when cannabis is illegal FEDERALLY?

3) any changes or amendments to this bill, if it passes, would require STATE WIDE approval, like in SB 420, you can't limit a patient's plants without state wide voter approved changes.

4) only 25 sq ft. garden per RESIDENCE! "... in an area of not more than twenty-five square feet per private residence..." what if 3 adults live there?

5) what if a private residence has 1 medical patient, and one recreational user? how do they determine that?

I want to vote for legalization, but the bill that will be before us in November, Richard Lee's bill, is a very very BAD bill.

M

mSeTxOiNcEaRn

I posted this on another forum. READ THE BILL DONT TAKE OTHER PEOPLE'S WORD FOR IT!!!

This is what i got directly from the bill.

section 11300 is "Personal regulation and controls" page 5

You CAN grow in no more than 25 square feet, unless you can explain in court why
page 9 under (d) Definitions part (iv) (c)

You can pocess up to one oz for "Personal consumption" wich is specified under section 3. (b) page 6

But can pocess as much WEIGHT as you can grow in 25 square feet

Section 11300 "Personal regulation and controls" page 5
Weight limits are based on square footage and NOT by weight (Section 11304 Effect of act and definitions) page 9 under (d) Definitions part (iv) (b) and (c)

There is all sorts of conditions added to section 11301 "commercial regulations and controls " page. 6

And if i was a commercial grower i would definetly not like this bill either but for those of us who just want to grow our own medicine this bill is actially not that bad.

I will add more later, this crap is time consuming and exausting. Hope this helps some people

This is the link to the bill again

http://ag.ca.gov/cms_attachments/ini...4_amdt_1-s.pdf

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was just going to say that ^^^. 1oz is what you can have on you but you can have 5 pounds at home no problem. Ypu can grow 1 palnt that will produce 4lbs in a 5x5. I think I can live with that lol

PEOPLE PLEASE READ THE BILL. When you vote you will at least know hat you are voting for. I will be voting YES but not for what is listed in the poll.

ChronJohn

grow space of 5x5 with max 1oz harvest and fine of $1,000 +6months jail for going over

nah you can keep the results of the harvest in your house you just can't carry more than an oz in public. and theres nothing in the initiative about penalties for going over. show me where it is. stop spreading misinformation.

Possess on the premises where grown the living and harvested plants and results of any harvest and processing of plants lawfully cultivated pursuant to section 11300(a)(ii), for personal consumption.

that part is very important it means anything grown in your 5x5 is legal to possess on the property it was grown on so if you can get 5lbs out of your 5x5 then you're fucking gravy.

I would vote "no" on this particular bill in November is for a few reasons:

1) by being able to grow in a 25sq ft. area, but only allowed to possess 1 ounce of finished product, I am AUTOMATICALLY made a criminal. Even with 10 or 5 sq ft., I can get 4 ounces off 1 plant. And speaking of one ounce, I believe the law states that if personal use requires more than one ounce, you can prove that in court. So, at what amount does the court say, "that's more than personal, that' an addiction, now go to treatment!"

2) allowing the cities and counties to regulate storefronts and growers makes for an easy monopoly, i.e. Richard Lee in Oakland. Anti trust laws are FEDERAL and how would you sue for violating federal anti-trust laws when cannabis is illegal FEDERALLY?

3) any changes or amendments to this bill, if it passes, would require STATE WIDE approval, like in SB 420, you can't limit a patient's plants without state wide voter approved changes.

4) only 25 sq ft. garden per RESIDENCE! "... in an area of not more than twenty-five square feet per private residence..." what if 3 adults live there?

5) what if a private residence has 1 medical patient, and one recreational user? how do they determine that?

I want to vote for legalization, but the bill that will be before us in November, Richard Lee's bill, is a very very BAD bill.

1) read what I wrote above

2) explain? I highly doubt it is even possible to have a monopoly over a plant everyone will have a right to grow. there will be more competition after its passed than before, if you think there's a flood out there now wait til this passes.

3) naaahhhh

this Act may be amended either by a subsequent measure submitted to a vote of the People at a statewide election; or by statute validly passed by the Legislature and signed by the Governor, but only to further the purposes of the Act. Such permitted amendments include but are not limited to:
(a) Amendments to the limitations in section 11300, which limitations are minimum thresholds and the Legislature may adopt less restrictive limitations.
(b) Statutes and authorize regulations to further the purposes of the Act to establish a statewide regulatory system for a commercial cannabis industry that addresses some or all of the items referenced in Sections 11301 and 11302.
(c) Laws to authorize the production of hemp or non-active cannabis for horticultural and industrial purposes.

4) yea that's true. learn to maximize that 5x5. or get a medical card.

5) then medical dudeman gets their medical garden with no limits and non medical guy gets a 5x5 area. or just dont even worry about the non med garden and smoke what comes out of the med garden? it'd be legal, no longer a crime to share bud.

BTW I think the question is worded incorrectly because not all growers care about the price. and along with any drop in price, will come an increase in production sans fear of arrest if you're a legit licensed commercial operation. Price cuts in half? double your output. most who grow, grow to escape the black market and the high prices and dangers it entails. take away the black market, and high prices, and home grows will drop and all that will be left standing are the commercial operators and hobbyists who will always enjoy growing the plant.

Really now though, lets put this law into perspective, relating it to something that we can all say we're familiar with: Amsterdam. It's a pretty nice place, am I right? One would say the most cannabis tolerant city in the world. Wouldn't we just LOVE to have a place in America like that? Well lets look at their laws and procedures.

1) 5 grams is the most you can buy or possess "legally" or "tolerably" as we shall call it, since nothing is actually "legal" in Holland.

2) they will tolerate you growing 5 plants or so, for personal use only. they could still arrest you if they really wanted to though.

3) while coffeeshops are tolerated, they are strictly controlled and randomly audited all the time (shop gets put on lock down, all product is weighed to make sure the shop isn't over their EDIT: 500 gram limit)

4) the "backdoor policy": commercial production is still illegal. it is still illegal to grow and sell to supply the shops.

5) no hard drug sales, no sales to minors (under 18)

Now lets look at what TC2010 has to offer:

1) 5x5 grow area (can be expanded by local gov't or state legislature) with all harvest being legal to possess in your home, and 1 oz possession in public with up to 1 oz being legal to purchase at a time (can also be upped by the local or state gov't).

2) retail sales legal if local gov't permits and issues licenses. Commercial growing and selling will be legal if permitted and licensed as well.

3) no selling to minors under 21. no new laws regarding sales to minors under 18.

4) paraphernalia legal.

5) medical laws untouched

6) hemp laws to be enacted for commercial hemp growing and processing. << HUGE DEAL <<

So grower Scotty there can just suck a biiiig D with his 400k a year income, there are people rotting in jail doing what he does and it could even happen to him and yet he wants to perpetuate this atrocity just to secure his exorbitant lifestyle? what a great fucking human being, GREAT example to interview in fact I'm glad they chose him because it shows us that we still have enemies to confront and call out and they aren't always wearing a suit or a badge.

In Washington state there are over 600 winery's and 250 brewery's, if this many entrepreneurs can make a living, then i am sure the people that are really good at growing quality product can do so as well. People appreciate quality; $50 cigar vs. $5 pack of cigs. Corporations will provide a large scale commercial quality product to reach the widest market, that is their objective. The people that are passionate about it will still be able to survive.

hazeydayz

one positive viewpoint if that if this passes, marijuana will become more mainstream and acceptable, further down the road that would prob lead to legalization.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
yea im sure all of us will be satisfied with a 5x5 LOL5 5x5 is dickcheese...its like the bar saying i can only have 2 drinks when i walk in.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I can get 3lb min out of 5x5. Now I can dial it in to get 5lbs in a 5x5 I see it as a challenge.

hazeydayz

well the 5x5 space is needed for the average obese person to fit in the growing room comfortably (in America) and you have about a square foot for a plant...i guess thats how they calculated 5x5 space and 1 ounce,,,,,,,,,,ahahah i joke, i joke

Status
Not open for further replies.