What's new

grow room coming along?

I'm excited for ya bud! With that kind of space you are in for some real fun!

Someone else mentioned a tent, that could be a good idea but definitely not necessary. The nice thing about a growtent is that they usually come with quite a few sets of vents to properly ventilate everything - cuts down on keeping the smell under control. Hanging up HID lights is no issue either since the tent has adjustable bars on top where you'd easily be able to hang the HID light (prob NOT be able to hang the filter/can from the bars across the top but...).

I built a nice aero system that housed 6 plants - you could easily build yourself something similiar and also build it to accomodate as many sites as you want! Aero growth rates are just INCREDIBLE. After the first month from seed, they will be ready to flower anywhere from 1-3 weeks - depending on how much of a monster you want on your hands! Or better yet, how high your ceiling is! (that was my biggest flop in my grow - I read somewhere on here last night how one of the big newbie mistakes is vegging too long and as a result the stretching during bloom gets to be out of control... if you would have told me that 2 months ago I would have laughed and gone on to explain to you how that would NOT be an issue... couldn't be further from the truth. All my main colas are ruined, whether they're burned, have been cut off, bent so they're not going to be half as nice as they would have been, or growing over the light...and EVERYTHING else that's not cola - is popcorn fluff..*sigh*) Luckly I did get 80% female out of my five pack of seeds and took a couple cuttings from each of the four. So those cuttings now rooted and are potted and ready to go - NOT going to make the same mistake twice - I'm more familiar with the strain now and will do much better round 2 than round 1!

Wow I'm rambling! Sorry for that. Sounds like you are on the right track - I agree with those above me who said to maybe start small - that way you have room to expand and try different things out. I would start with a half dozen and as you keep learning build off that. For starting off and vegging I also suggest getting a few 4ft HO T5 bulbs since they will save you $$$ on power and will eliminate any HEAT issues also.

Have fun!

-SinSe

MPL

A 6" fan should be enough for your space. An 8" will allow you to expand. Remember that attaching a carbon filter is going to cut the airflow roughly in half. You want to remove all the air from your room once every 3 minutes or so.

As far as power goes, budshoteyes has a good point. If you're running 1kW you'll need a separate circuit just for the light if you've got household wiring. I'd recommend you add a 240v circuit just for your lighting, and then see how many amps the rest of your gear pulls and decide whether to add an individual 120v line for that.

If you go ebb and flow res temps are not much of a concern unless your room temp is blazingly high. Just keep the solution moving and aerated and you should be fine.

@mpl
U said that plants do better when there's small variations in the ph? Can u please elaborate on this?
Also to everyone should I go with one 8 inch vortex 747cfm or two 6 inch vortex 894 cfm. Keeping in mind the three air cooled lights and the filter. Speaking of which what do u think from personal experience is a phresh filter better than a can charcoal filter of apprx the same cfm capability of the fans? As for the bulbs is eye hortilux bps bulb 87000 lumens good? And for the mh side hortilux blue mh? But I can't find 600w.
As for the electricity issue. What r my options? I live in a apartment. The room has 3 outlets in the room. That's all I know. Maybe run a extension cord from another outlet series? Would me running 3 600w lumatek e Balast one vortex 8" vortex or 2 6" vortex the 31/2 gallon controller unit 3 fans and portable ac. The room is at 75 degrees constant but the portable is in case temp goes up or to lower at night

R

Rysam

Instead of trying to do it all at once, tackle one area of your grow at a time. Pick a method that is fairly foolproof such as soil & Earthjuice or Maxibloom etc.... both are dead easy and still give great results while you dial the environment in. once you have that, upgrade and tweak your grow method to suit your needs.

MPL

Justsilent I'd take everyone's advice and keep it simple.

At the risk of oversimplifying... the plants absorb each nutrient most efficiently at different pH ranges. When it wanders say, from 5.7 to 5.9, it allows the plant to make better and more efficient use of the nutrient solution.

As for the rest of those questions, you should stop trying to figure out what equipment you want to buy. You simply don't know enough to make the right decisions. Right now what you should be learning is how to set up and plan your grow. Once you're comfortable with that you can start looking for the equipment you've already decided you need during the planning stage.

You live in an apartment...wether or not you have written permission by the landlord POWER is your greatest concern!
The three outlets in your room are almost guaranteed to be on the same circuit and probably handle no more than 15amps on a 20amp circuit.

If you don't have permission from your landlord your grow op will be considered unlawful and subject to prosecution if anything goes wrong.

A closet grow is your best bet for a start up and learning experience...and in your situation stealth is probably your key to becoming a good grower!

Even if you have the landlords permission any grow that uses more than a total of 1000
watts is a whole new ballgame and requires an electrician or at least the knowledge to run safe circuits. That 1000 watts includes everything in the room that uses electricity....not just the lights!

Wether you can grow big or small do not have any plugs,cords,etc on the floor..a flooding of the room could electrocute you. Your door should be built up at least six inches from the floor to contain any flooding and your floor sealed like a kiddies pool. If you see water on the floor shut the power off to that room ASAP !

Electricity and fire scare the crap out of me!

MPL

Quoting budshot for truth.

Listen to the advice you are being given. This is one of the better cannabis forums, and we're lucky to have top growers from around the world visit this forum to share their knowledge. Don't squander this resource.

You live in an apartment...wether or not you have written permission by the landlord POWER is your greatest concern!
The three outlets in your room are almost guaranteed to be on the same circuit and probably handle no more than 15amps on a 20amp circuit.

If you don't have permission from your landlord your grow op will be considered unlawful and subject to prosecution if anything goes wrong.

A closet grow is your best bet for a start up and learning experience...and in your situation stealth is probably your key to becoming a good grower!

Even if you have the landlords permission any grow that uses more than a total of 1000
watts is a whole new ballgame and requires an electrician or at least the knowledge to run safe circuits. That 1000 watts includes everything in the room that uses electricity....not just the lights!

Wether you can grow big or small do not have any plugs,cords,etc on the floor..a flooding of the room could electrocute you. Your door should be built up at least six inches from the floor to contain any flooding and your floor sealed like a kiddies pool. If you see water on the floor shut the power off to that room ASAP !

Electricity and fire scare the crap out of me!

So what do u recommend? Closet is 2'x8'Lx8'h. Some panda film on the walls two 600w? What kind of system? Just buckets and and water?

MPL

Are you set on hydro? Unlike others I don't think it's a problem for someone to start in hydro. I do, however, think you'll have a much more solid understanding of how hydro systems work if you first grow in soil. You can learn the natural biology of the plant well when growing in soil. Then you will have a much more practical understanding of the chemistry and biology involved when you go to hydro.

You have to decide how you want to grow before you ask any other questions. I recommend you start in soil using smart pots.

im a very handy person. do know plumbing and some frame work putting walls up etc etc. and i had chosen ebb n gro because it is somewhat cheap and have heard great things about it . not really much to do to it once everything is set.really im open to any suggestions but i just dont want to go with soil. not a big fan of soil.

cody2white

ghost in training
Veteran
I think you got it man
my 600w takes 4amps so there's 12of your 15 add in a 8"fan couple of wall fans and maybe a dehumidifier your sitting almost perfect..

Maybe do 2 600 over 3x6.. Im going to rock that soon. Very efficient IMO

goodluck you'll figure it out :good:

I was just surfing eBay for tents....48 x 96 x 78 for under $200.00 delivered

You can fit all 12 of your cap grow buckets in a tent that size and still produce really nice yields. Go with two 600watt lights in the one circuit maximum! Get a second circuit in there somehow (extension cord) and run as big a filter/fans as you can,run your pump,and possible AC or chiller to cool the Rez.

Double check my electrical advice with a real electrician as I am not one!

MPL

Umm, the two lights alone will put him at 10a, not 12a on a 120v line. However, adding an 8" fan and other shit will surely overload the 15a circuit. You should never go above 80% of capacity, and his two 600s almost do that on their own.

Don't give bad advice like this if you don't know what you are talking about. You're going to cause someone to burn their house down, or worse, cause a death.

Justsilent DO NOT put all that onto one 15a circuit! The two 600s on a single 15a circuit is the max you should consider. You could put your hood exhaust fan on this circuit so it is controlled by the same timer. Everything else MUST be on a separate circuit in this situation.

I think you got it man
my 600w takes 4amps so there's 12of your 15 add in a 8"fan couple of wall fans and maybe a dehumidifier your sitting almost perfect..

Maybe do 2 600 over 3x6.. Im going to rock that soon. Very efficient IMO

goodluck you'll figure it out :good:

cody2white

ghost in training
Veteran
I thought residential was 20amp? 80% of 20 is 15 no? Maybe im wrong but ime off a 20amp line its worked just fine. And ran fan pump etc. off another circuit. Couldn't get any simpler my friend

MPL

I thought he said he only had 15a. My bad bro I totally called you out for my misunderstanding.

My apologies.

:tiphat:

I thought residential was 20amp? 80% of 20 is 15 no? Maybe im wrong but ime off a 20amp line its worked just fine. And ran fan pump etc. off another circuit. Couldn't get any simpler my friend

In my breaker box I got a 30 amp for the appt ac I got 4 20 amp. One goes to two outlets in the kitchen one fridge other microwave another 20 amp to the garbage disposal another 20 amp to one outlet in kitchen last 20 amp breaker is unknown. There's three 15 amp one front room light and 3 sockets other 15 amp to living room last 15 amp to restroom and back room. Ive only thought of how to put an exhaust outlet on the back room front room I don't know how to exhaust.

Exhaust and intake through the window otherwise you'll probably be cutting holes in the walls...a big no no? A hollowed out air conditioner is a favorite way to hide the pipes and people will think the noise is the AC running.

When you get your books you'll have so much info ready at anytime.

Search google images for grow room plans.....there are a few great professionally drawn plans.

I really like the Mr Green videos on YouTube. He has two videos.."one is soil and the other is hydro."I grow chronic" their free and just as good as any pro video out there! He is a very clear speaker and the videos start at actually building the room to harvest!

Have you decided wether to go with a tent,closet,or full room grow?

And IC has tutorials and grow diaries that are A1 on my reference list as I carry an iPad with me at all times to help other growers or prove there's better ways to do it!

I hope you go the tent route for ease of build and convenience ! If the landlord wants to inspect the apartment teardown is fast and easy and there will be no holes in the walls.