What's new

Competition GROW CONTEST WINNER: Tonatiuhs 8K Dreamquest

Tonatiuh

its me Dave man open up the door...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
D.F -thanks for chiming in bruh.
i do not have any of that stuff in the arsenal,
i never have seen this happen in my garden before i was running r.o so i think there are a few things im gonna have to adjust to or something.
hopefully the new nutes will help out.but like i said,its on a tk mom,only.
maybe because shes the oldest girl in the room?that one is maybe a year old right now.
i can pick some of that up but maybe not until monday.
any specific one that u would recommend?
thanks bro.
peace-T-

miloxxx-thanks homie!!!
can use them right now yo.
peace-T-

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran
your tk mom looks like she had a serious Potassium deficiency that also corrected it self.

For Micros looks like magnesium a lot but Zinc deficiencies also show these symptoms.

Much love ontop of good vibes for you T.

What nutrients are you using, vs getting?

Sounds like you are getting V+B.

Medium Pimpin'

Ask Beavis, I Get Nothing Butt Head
Veteran
Tona, looks like you got an imbalance in your soil w/ that TK mom.
they are Ca/Mg whores.
how often do you cut back the rootmass and mix in new dirt w/ your moms?
i try to do it everry 6 months or so depending on the pot size.
be easy tho if they are weak, that stress can fuck them up worse.
i try to do it before shit gets real bad.

and those twisted, mutant leaves look like you dropped some feed water on the m IMO.
surface burn.

Tonatiuh

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lyryc-sup homie...thaks for himing in,and for the good karma.
i dont know if she corrected herself,shes looking pretty bad.
i think im going to try the rootball thing MP is talking about,i do have another one i can replace her with if she dont recover.

and yep you guessed it,getting the V+B,already ordered the line up.
been using the k.i.s.s. method with maxi bloom and kool bloom.
peace-T-

Medium Pimper-....wattup bro,you know that makes a bunch of sense,i do have to walk right y tat plant when i come in the room.i keep my PH up (concentrate) outside the room.
when i come in with it in the dripper i bet some hit that girl...that chit will burn your skin if it gets on you,it will not stop burning until you rinse it off.
ive never cut the rootball back on her,i always just take a cut and start a new mom like 1 time a year or so..would i be better off cutting them back?does it keep the genetics vigorous longer or an other benefits?
do you think if i cut her rootmass back now shed grow herself out of the funk?
peace-T-

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Root pruning certainly keeps things healthier in my experience. But then, I just amend soil - don't use bottles, so my reason for doing so is a soil is spent and the plant is root bound. Start seeing the leaves yellow off and the internodes lengthen ...then I know it's time to cut back the roots and get her into some fresh soil.

The other part of that is scale - and I don't usually keep my moms in anything other than 1/2 gallon containers - and I switch those out about once every 2-3 months depending on how heavy the plant feeds...but again, that is a smaller container and moms that aren't in production runs for producing cuts are under T8 not HID...so, those things regarding scale of the grow have to be considered.

I know you run a much more rapid rotation of plants - constant production of clones required - your moms are likely in 3 gallons or bigger and sitting under HID. You are feeding liquid nutes...so root binding and the soil depleting itself isn't going to have quite the impact it does on your garden as it does for me...all those things considered...it still couldn't hurt to get that mother into some fresh mix and get her healthy again.

Perhaps it would be a better option to say, go from 3 to 5 gallon - and get her super healthy with new growth, take new cuts...and make a new mom vs trying to cut that one back?

When I cut roots for a mom that is in current rotation, it's usually right after I take a round of cuts - but I always trim the plant back down to shape it and get it the right/appropriate size, taking into consideration I just hacked off it's ability to support a larger structure...

And the K-Mag / Sul-Po-Mg are basically the same product - different names due to different manufactures. But, I don't see a calcium def. in your TK mom - I see Mg and S - which is exactly why I'm suggesting the soil amendment I am - because if you are already throwing cal/mg at it. You gotta go REAL easy on the stuff though, it is usually 0-0-22...so, you're talking top feeding with teaspoon quantities.

You'll see other organic heads trying to be more obscure and "intelligent" by calling it by it's mineral name, langbeinite, as opposed to it's marketed product name...it's all the same stuff though. ;)

dank.Frank

Tonatiuh

ICMag Donor
Veteran
sup peoples...

sorry i aint updated in a few but i had a surgery so the week before i was real busy gettin everything to where i wouldnt have major work for a few days...and ive been resting since.
everythings looking good as of now.
i tried the root pruning thing with my TK mama and sad to say she didnt make it...no worries though as i have many many more vegging right now so ill just replace her with a fresh one.she was pretty far gone so i knew it was a roll of the dice.

df the mamas are in 5's already...might need 7's...
and as far as that deficiency i think i was seeing....im wondering if adding the cal/mag to every feed and watering was hurting more then helping.
it seems like my base nutes would/should have enough cal/mag in them to be ok w out adding it unless i see something....
in any case my new nutes are in and i can start using them as soon as im moving around a little better.
no need to add cal/mag w them.

as u can see i have veg poippin off again....

in the cups are some bubbas,some pre 98 bubbas,ecsd,the white,og chem,and irene.
and i think a dozen or so TK are there too...rest are mamas

picture.php

heres some TK and #4 shots just before flip.

#4 all the way right in the bigger pots.

picture.php

TK...not as vegged as i like but i had to flip something.been 20 days since a flip already.

picture.php

here they all are flipped,day 1

picture.php

and the TK that will be the next round....ill veg and train the hell out of these before i flip them,hoping to get the ones in the middle to catch up to the outside rows.they ain the same age but i should be able to pull it off with some good timing and training...

picture.php

Tonatiuh

ICMag Donor
Veteran
TK again...

picture.php

sour strawberry

picture.php

jack the ripper

picture.php

#4 ...this was flipped strait out of the cup.no topping,no training.just its natural stretch
shes a beast

picture.php

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hell Yeah T! Your babes looking mighty fine :bigeye:

Glad your recovering well from the surgery!

good vibes, great health and green blessings buddy!

Nice update and theres some weight on them ladies :D

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just keep in mind with RO water it is much more common to require some Cal/Mg where before you might not have due to the complete absence of any trace minerals in the water. ;)

Yeah, if you are already in a 5 gallon with the moms, root pruning really stops being practical at that point. It's much more of a bonsai mother technique.

P1 looking dank as always. Glad to see you rolling right along, brother! :respect:

dank.Frank

Tonatiuh

ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks fellaz...

little update.....tonight i went in to see what needed to be done and noticed that the set i JUST flipped 2 days ago had a yellowing to them...to me i had a feeling there are bugs,ive been really looking for at least a few weeks and finally seen something in my soil tonight.
it was a little opaque almost transparent little bug,moved kind of fast.idk what it was for sure but im treating as if it is root aphids,all other things ive been going thru seems to point in that direction.

did a soil drench of azamax in veg and the most recent set flipped in flower and hit everything in veg and everything without flowers with a foliar spray of acephate.

in 2 days ill hit them with a foliar of malathion....then some imid....

ill be top dressing them all with diamotacious earth tomorrow....and ill hit them with some avid in between....im gonna come at them from all angles.i dont think there is anything crawling that can get past all that....i hope...

on a better note,my new nutes came in so i can start using them this next set,along with a new soil mix i been marinating on..

picture.php

the line up i plan on going after the critters with...

picture.php

what i sprayed with today

picture.php

picture.php

anyone with any suggestions or experience dealin with these pests,chime in...
i never had to deal with them before so im kind of winging it off of all the info i read in the RA thread.

peace-T-

Tonatiuh

ICMag Donor
Veteran
also tomorrow ill hang a couple no pest strips,and some sticky glue boards.
and while im at the store ill pick up a product with some imid in it...i read that works too.
i been reading the RA thread but its so big and so many differences of opinion on how to treat that the info gets kind of muddied up.

so anyone with any of the new good info can link me to it id be much appreciative.

peace-T-

Mister_D

Veteran
Once upon a time I had to deal with those vicious little bastards. There's a few things you need to do to win the battle.

1. RA are very clever. They live most of their lives in the soil, but will migrate up the plant if you soak the media in pesticide. So whenever you soak the roots, spray the foliage also (especially the main stem).

2. Most pesticides are completely ineffective at killing RA. Here's a couple I have found effective (what I used to rid myself of them). One is Bayer complete insect killer (pictured below). This is a combination of Beta Cyfluthin (contact killer) & Imidacloprid (systematic). Highly recommended over just a straight imid product. I have yet to meet a bug that cyfluthin doesn't kill :biggrin:. The other is Spectracide brand Triazicide Insect Killer (also pictured below). Contains Gamma-cyhalothrin. These are the two that I used to completely eliminate my infestation. SM90 was also used at @5ml per gal. as it is very effective at reducing the population. Thing to remember with all of these is to drown the media of each plant, each time you apply any of them.

3. Last and perhaps most important thing to know/plan for is the slow reveg like growth that occurs for about a month after applying Imid to your plants.

Here is a picture of the bottles I used, ignore the malathonin (totally ineffective) and pond zymes.

picture.php

Tonatiuh

ICMag Donor
Veteran
cool D,i was gonna go grab some imid anyways so ill skip the malathonin all together.
peace-T-

Tonatiuh

ICMag Donor
Veteran
sup peoples i went to my "go to shop" for advice about everything gardeining.
these dudes that work there are the most knowledgable people i know.
its not a grow shop but a greenhouse.they also sell soil and other stuff though and are gradually having more and more indoor supplies.
but they have decades of knowledge between them,and they are much more in tune then the local grow shop dudes that just want to sell you whatever they think might work and get the money.

anyways i had a few things in the arsenal so i was mainly going to get the imid and tangle foot.

then he shows me some stuff he says will ABSOLUTELY kill anything thats living in the soil with one drench.he told me its only active for 10 days and is non systemic so it wont be in the plant.only ion the soil.he said its fine for flower,but he still recommend not using it last 2 weeks.

its called bayer grub killer its in this pic in the big bag.

picture.php

active ingredient

picture.php

(other bag is d.e and the tube is the tangle foot.)

anyways u just top dress with it and water.when it goes in to the soil it kills bugs dead!!

ill be using it the next time the ladies need attention.
ill start my veg treatment as soon as they are light as well.

peace-T-

Tonatiuh

ICMag Donor
Veteran
pretty positive i have evreything sorted out now....
i think all these last months struggles will be over really soon.
not much to show now but a nice veg room... and the same plants with the issues they had in flower....
i expect to see a turnaround here real soon though
i will be back to drop an update as soon as i have flower room filled with pretty buds.
might be a couple/few weeks but i should be back in stride by then...fingers crossed...

btw i didnt and dont have root aphids as far as i can see and tell...
i did the potato test and i didnt get anything coming to the top after 2 hours...
might do it one more time for 24 hours but i honestly think the 2 hours was plenty enough time for them to get there and start munchin.
so all i have is some fungus gnats at most and i can get rid of them w some gnatrol or similar product.
was pretty sure i was clean but i still started shooting from all angles just incase,hopefully that will also get the gnats down too.

peace-T-

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
:good: Stoked to hear your getting on top of your issues brother Tona :good:
Keep that chin up bruz you'll be back stronger than ever :friends:
:plant grow: