What's new

Great Inline Fans

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
what would you use

what would you use

i have a tent 2x4x5 was wondering what would be the best fan filter combo to get rid of smell i have 6in openings i plan on useing
my setup is 6bubblebuckets with drip and 2ufo lights i will be adding some supplementary light during flower and it will be cfls or these led spotlight bulbs i seen on htgsupply but theyre 5 for$200 so im not sure yet
my tent

G

gogoplata420

does anybody elses s&p fan smell alittle bit like paint/caulk when they leave it on for extended amounts of time. im thinking about putting mine on a timer cuz it smells like im remodeling

G

gogoplata420

hippo_bump.jpg

does anybody elses s&p fan smell alittle bit like paint/caulk when they leave it on for extended amounts of time. im thinking about putting mine on a timer cuz it smells like im remodeling

:yeahthats

imnotcrazy

There is ALWAYS meaning to my madness ®
Veteran
Mixed flow fans don't handle the volume changes in the ducting when cooling lamp hoods. Cooltubes and short runs of duct are ok but they drop of fairly quickly with any static pressure.

They also won't handle a carbon filter as well as the same sized centrifugal type inline fan.

LEDGro

I have seen these fans recommended on here a ton and will probably be buying one. I am planning a small rubbermaid grow and have a few questions.

The dimensions are 2x2x2.3 so its quite small. I was looking at the 100x fan which I know if overkill so I would like to use a fan controller.

Is it ok to use one with these fans? If using one should I wire to the high or low speed?

Using the calculator listed on this page it shows my total space as 9.3 cubic feet. I think I should have about 1 air exchange about 5 mins so I would only need a fan capable of 1.8 CFM.

I am planning on using a carbon filter so would running the fan at say 25 CFM be a problem with that? Would having multiple air exchanges a minute be bad for the plants?

Finally should I add small PC fans blowing on the plants or will the air being pulled through be enough?

Thanks sorry for so many questions in one post.

RugerBaby

Autos are for pussies!
Veteran
I have seen these fans recommended on here a ton and will probably be buying one. I am planning a small rubbermaid grow and have a few questions.

The dimensions are 2x2x2.3 so its quite small. I was looking at the 100x fan which I know if overkill so I would like to use a fan controller.

Is it ok to use one with these fans? If using one should I wire to the high or low speed?

Using the calculator listed on this page it shows my total space as 9.3 cubic feet. I think I should have about 1 air exchange about 5 mins so I would only need a fan capable of 1.8 CFM.

I am planning on using a carbon filter so would running the fan at say 25 CFM be a problem with that? Would having multiple air exchanges a minute be bad for the plants?

Finally should I add small PC fans blowing on the plants or will the air being pulled through be enough?

Thanks sorry for so many questions in one post.

I have read that you need 3-5 air exchanges per minute.

nuitari

Hi fellas.I started a topic about which s&p fan should I buy it?.I stuck at between two model

td 200 and td 150.Im gonna use it for cooling 400watt w/ cooltube in homebox small.td200

is metal td 150 is plastic,I think using it at half speed with dimmer(or I remember some

wiring makes it work at half speed but I didnt find the message about that)which one

does the job more quiet at half speed ?or td 150 can cool a 400w at half speed well?

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Love my S&P but, it simply does NOT suck like a Vortex. If you've considered a 200, don't go lower and consider going higher. Especially if you're going to limit the speed.

S

Sirus

Hello all :) I have money in hand and am very interested in the

S&P inline. I have posted in the Vent 101 thread as well trying

to get input on which is the best fan for my cab. The cab is

2x4x6 w/400w MH/HPS a/c hood reflector w/electronic

ballast. Replies on the Vent 101 thread suggest 2 seperate

systems for cooling the fan and scrubbing the air is optimal,

so the fan will only have to contend with sp from the filter and a

little bit of insulated ducting. If anyone has personal experience

on which fan/filter will work for this type of app I would greatly

appericate the input. :)

I thought I remembered reading s&ps can't handle 100+ exhaust temps or somthing like that, but now I cant find that. anyone know?
I'm thinking about using a td-100 pulling through a 250w air cooled hood unrestricted, so all that hot air will be going through the fan.

also is there any ''whoooshing'' noise on the intake side of these fans?

FreezerBoy

Veteran
I believe the magic number was 104ºF for the plastic models. There's whooshing on both sides of the fan. The only silent fan is the one that never gets turned on.

G

gogoplata420

freezerboy do you have anything to say to this? is it common or did i get a bad fan? cuz ive checked the wiring over and over again and its correct.

FreezerBoy

Veteran
I've never noticed such a smell. Mines unfiltered at the moment (all I have are brand new seedlings and I want to rebuild the scrubber) Just ran downstairs and took a big wiff. Clean as a whistle. I don't know what to say ...

FreezerBoy

Veteran
I built this one. While the stockings keep carbon from falling into the cab or the duct, they don't keep it entirely inside the hardware cloth's outer core. Think of it as scrubber cellulite. Carbon escaping the core HAS to mean there's an area of decreased density inside the core. It HAS to. Hasn't been a problem yet but, still ...

This doesn't really show the problem as it was only a few minutes old when I took the shot but, look closely and you can see the machine cloth under the stocking. Some places clearly, others not so much. The not so much areas are where carbon has escaped and now lives between cloth and stocking. The various bumps and hits occurring through the grow left me with a visible carbon bulge by harvest time.

My bulk carbon happened to come wrapped in a large sheet of fine mesh, plastic netting. I want to run a sheet of that on the inside of the outer core wall, trapping all carbon inside the core where it belongs.

stellarcollison

I need to vent a 1000w cool-tube that's in a reflector.
I read the vent 101 thread and I'm going to use a two-stage vent system. According to that info, I need a min. of 316 CFM for the hood. I'm not sure how to factor angles and duct resistance into the formula. Can someone suggest a fan?

Looking at a Vortex 8" or S&P TD-250...