What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Grandoggy Purps / XMas Special Grow

woolybear

Veteran
Hey Wooly B, when did your gdoggys show sex/preflowers? If so, at what week? Or did you sex them after going to flower period (12/12)? Thanks. Three from reg seed at 7 weeks veg (16/8) show no pf or sex yet... sure wish they would.

according to this post first doggy showed flowers at day 35 (week 5)....before flipping to 12/12.

Keep on looking :)

S

stratmandu

Dude, they've been scoped very closely using a nice digi-lite usb microscope. I know what to look for (just sexed 2 Strwb D that showed obviously at 6-7 weeks). No preflower can hide from this thing - there just isn't any sign of sex yet on the Gdogs.

Maybe the reason preflowers have not been seen is because these are under 6500k T5 only and there's not enough red...maybe... I did put in some red for a week when the StD showed... Also these need an up-pot badly, that may also be an issue being rootbound and slightly nute-locked...I'm changing a tube or two to red (3000k), re-pot, and give 'em another week or two.

Your plants look fantastic. Yours were way farther along than these at the same week. Better care and light for sure. Kudos.

In my oppinion with ppm's that hight in your run off and the chop not far off the finnished product might/could bennifit from a straight h2o. IMO the leaves are still holding there color, their is still plenty of nutes buildt up in stores of the plant, and the end tast would be that much better. Either way you still rocked this grow!!!

woolybear

Veteran
In my oppinion with ppm's that hight in your run off and the chop not far off the finnished product might/could bennifit from a straight h2o. IMO the leaves are still holding there color, their is still plenty of nutes buildt up in stores of the plant, and the end tast would be that much better. Either way you still rocked this grow!!!

hi drew, good advice!

however i'm thinking my ppm reading may have been affected by the fact that i bottom feed and i flushed top-wise... i checked the runoff of the plant i didn't flush yesterday after bottom feeding this morning and it was low, around 200ppms

edit: my plain tap water with 1ml of drip clean/gallon is 200-300 ppms :)

i am going to let the plants dry out for a day, bottom feed again, then check the runoff from bottom feeding only.

For the next week, I'm going to feed with plain h2o with drip clean until the runoff measures at least under 500ppm

I really think most of the excess nutes have been shuttled by the plant into the top layers of the medium, as evidenced by the cup of blue perlite i scooped off today.

So basically no harm no foul. Thanks all!

woolybear

Veteran
Dude, they've been scoped very closely using a nice digi-lite usb microscope. I know what to look for (just sexed 2 Strwb D that showed obviously at 6-7 weeks). No preflower can hide from this thing - there just isn't any sign of sex yet on the Gdogs.

You know dude, ever since i started growin diesel plants I've been way less stressed about preflowers.... because the diesel plants take FOREVER to show sex!

I have 5 super sour skunks that have been alive for 6+ weeks and only one is confirmed female with pistils... the other 4 are just chilling, taking their sweet time.

The worst part is the sour skunks are growing HUGE with no sex yet!

I do recall that after the first pistils on the doggys popped, the others showed up soon after.

My xmas specials showed sex a few days earlier than the doggies.... maybe the xmases pumped some pheromones into the tent that prompted the doggies to show?

thanks all!

edit: just noticed you got strawberry d's to flower at 6-7 weeks.... wierd... maybe they are influencing your doggies? Science has proved that plants talk to each other chemically... :)

S

stratmandu

LOL! Well, the male ain't talkin', thats for sure. He's taking the dirt nap on the compost heap.

woolybear

Veteran
Day 38 UPDATE

The doggies have rock-solid nugs :)
Bud squeezing now yields a nice pine scent as well as the other smells.... but...

I squeezed one bud in particular and it had a funky doo-doo poopy smell!

Lots of frost, packing on weight. Here's some pics:

picture.php

Here's a view of a stalk packing it on:

picture.php

woolybear

Veteran
Today is Day 44, week 6.2

The smell in the tents has intensified. After the filter turns off there's a pronounced funk in the room.

I am wondering if GDP-based plants might do better in a SOG configuration, the way the fan leaves choke out light.

That reminds me, need to take my clone of #3 and repot it. I have 3 amazing clones of #3, a couple of #2, and like 1 of #1. #3 is the most vigorous in clone by far.

Will add pics soon. Thanks

:thank you:

the gnome

Veteran
very very nice woolybear! :good:
how long are they suppose to go?
I hope mine are looking that good in 20 days

woolybear

Veteran
very very nice woolybear! :good:
how long are they suppose to go?
I hope mine are looking that good in 20 days

I think 10 weeks? 9-10?

Here's some notes about flushing with sugar water from this thread:

....for flushing at the end i like 1wk water + sugars (molaasses, sweet, hydrohoney, whatever carbs & sugars are what you wnat) and 1wk plain water.
ph to 6.0 and hit em hard.

I do something similar to Greyskull. It is not really a flush I just change what I feed. I feed Sucanat/Citric acid 2 wks out then switch to water 1 week out

You get 1 litre (1/4 of a gallon) of warm water then add 1 ounce (28gms) of Sucanat and 28 gms (1oz) of Citric Acid. mix it up till all the crystals disolve then store it in a opaque bottle. Add at the rate of 4 ml per gallon in the res

It will get the secondary metabolic pathways opened, the citric acid donates a protein to the raw sugar (Glucose) so the plant can absorb it, we get a symbiotic soup that does wonders for taste and smell.

Learned the from Ozgrower

It was just one of those things from someone you respect. So you try it. Best tasting weed I have grown...so far.

I use to be a feed right and don't worry...until I saw the difference for myself. Now I cut out all nitrate 4 weeks from the finish (still feed a little NH4) and then two weeks out start this. Different level entirely taste wise.

to buy citric acid:

Walmart you will also find it in the pharmacy in with the vitamins.

• Check your local supermarket. During the normal canning season, many supermarkets carry powdered citric acid in the canning section of the store.

• Check with your local pharmacy. Many full service drug stores and pharmacies carry powdered citric acid year round. You may have to ask at the prescription counter because it may be kept behind the counter and not on the open store shelves.

• Check your local health food store or natural vitamin shop. Both carry citric acid, in pill or bulk form.

woolybear

Veteran
Another update, Day 47.

Unfortunately I had to trim off a few inches of tops due to bud rot, user error. I had an exhaust pipe pointing at the buds for a few days which caused it I think. Going to dose the effected area with some ozone just in case that works.

I don't think it will spread as I had a similar amount of budrot last run in some buds that got burned.

There's a bit of a meaty aftertone in the tent. We are getting nice purpling.

picture.php

picture.php

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
looking very nice bro
shame about the bud rot,at least it wasnt to much
can see the purple wanting to explode on your girls

keep up the good work
peace

woolybear

Veteran
looking very nice bro
shame about the bud rot,at least it wasnt to much
can see the purple wanting to explode on your girls

keep up the good work
peace

thanks ojd! I caught it early, there was about 2" of buds I needed to chunk in the middle of the bud.... which means I have this nice top to taste test:

picture.php

observations:

- rediculous resin content. My fingers were covered in sticky icky after handing a couple of buds.
- extreme frostiness
- purple buds! these plants have nice purple calyxes, and its only just begun!
- solid nugs. the colas are rock-solid. I wonder if these plants can handle the colas being taken off, leaving the rest to ripen.
- I think 65 days is a good target. This means these plants have 18 more days, or almost 3 weeks.

It will be fun to see what happens in the next weeks! Don't forget I'll also be harvesting the xmas specials.

I just have to make sure i CURE THESE PROPERLY! Want some moistness in them.

Jaymer

Back-9-Guerrilla☠
Veteran
My fingers were covered in sticky icky after handing a couple of buds.
looks like more greasyness than the gdp which might be a good thing, mine are turning male, 4 more to go, i hope they flip as female gdp , merry Xmas

[/QUOTE]I am wondering if GDP-based plants might do better in a SOG configuration, the way the fan leaves choke out light.

I've noticed how GDP loves to throw out those huge indica leaves also from my Ken's cut and around day thirty after the stretch is done and the buds r putting on weight I try to eliminate as many fan leaves as possible so my bottom buds can soke up the light, and wether it's clone or seed you pretty much end up with the same result.

Haven't had a chance yet to try the doggie version yet, but your pics leave something to be desired.

woolybear

Veteran
Wow woolybear I am jealous of thems fine ass color in those GDoggy's

Thanks its wierd... cold temps I think may be a factor.

I really hope doggy #3 is the best, because its the most vigorous in clone by far.

edit: doggy #3's buds are substantially smaller than the others, by a factor of 1/3... but it DOES have the candy grape smell. Still chunky.

The funk levels are rising. I may have to run the air filter 24/7 now. The ladies are desparate for some hot pollen actions.

That reminds me, need to make a male isolation chamber :)

edit: the xmases re rocking as well. #2 is frosting up like a mofo.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts