What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Goverment is closing 43 coffeeshops in amsterdam in 2011

Puffin13

Lifetime Supporter
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Uncle FREEDOM said:
Anyone have a list of the shops affected???

Sure hope the government gets the boot over there before i take my travel $$$ some place else.

It appears most of the coffeeshops pictured are on the list. The Volkskrant, a dutch newspaper, will have the list and details later Friday. Some really sad news. I hope they see the error of their ways before 2011. Peace.

koffiebarretjesdicht020.jpg

Source

C

Chamba

the Bulldog was the first coffeeshop I went to on my first visit to Am'dam in '94....I still remember it well....a gram of Super Skunk that had us laughing in hysterics for hours...we laughed so much the hotel moved us to a rooftop self-contained apartment down the street which was 4 times the size of the little hotel room for the same rate for two weeks! (Apple Inn, in a very quiet residential neighborhood, close to Vondel Park)

SpacedCWBY

Veteran
Chamba said:
the Bulldog was the first coffeeshop I went to on my first visit to Am'dam in '94....I still remember it well....a gram of Super Skunk that had us laughing in hysterics for hours...we laughed so much the hotel moved us to a rooftop self-contained apartment down the street which was 4 times the size of the little hotel room for the same rate for two weeks! (Apple Inn, in a very quiet residential neighborhood, close to Vondel Park)

HA! That's some funny shit. Mine was a year and a couple days ago. Got off the train and headed straight for Central. Got a gram of shiva, talked with a local while she rolled up some ph89, got pretty blasted and then wandered around for a while. I was feeling pretty overwhelmed by the whole situation for the first day or two.

I can't believe that Barneys is on there. That's a trip. The bluebird was a pretty cool shop. I liked the short bar looking out the big plate windows upstairs. HSBlues was my last stop every night as it was right next to my hotel. Cheap soda but the pot sucked. Got some NL there one night that tasted like it had been washed in ferts before they served it up. yuck. I remember going to a couple of the other shops late one night, but that was after a long day of smoking and walking around from shop to shop so I can't remember them specifically. I had a really good time and hope to make it there again before this all goes down. I really hope that my wife gets to have the experience before they ALL go down.

Time to start saving pop cans again...

Core

Quality Control Controller
ICMag Donor
Veteran
this is't good!!.....and to mention it... they want to close the coffeshops by the belgian border..this is realy Fucked up!

Moppel

Grower for Life
Veteran
Its time that spain start to open coffeeshops. Than the dam will notice what the have been doing......but i guess thats not gonna happen.

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
Part of the whole experience is the rhythm of Amsterdam itself... It - for me - is not simply the shops... The Civil nature of the Village and the creative enviornment is unmatched by anywhere I have ever been.

I must say, many of the shops on the graphic are rather seedy ones... Who knows what goes on in some of these dark clubs...? There may be grounds to close some of them, although we may never know the 'Real' reasons...

Note that two of the pictured logos as to-be-closed are shops with 'Amsterdam' in the name.... 'They' may not like that..

Failing that, One can only hope that new regulations that occur in terms of 'years' will be followed by years of a more permissive group of 'Rulemakers.'

stasis

Veteran
Is this progress, however...? I would not presume to say so, but maybe.

Is this progress, however...? I would not presume to say so, but maybe.

The Dutch town of Eindhoven is going to allow a farm to grow cannabis.

22 November 2008

EINDHOVEN - Though the farm will be under municipal supervision, the growing of marijuana will remain illegal.

The pilot experiment was agreed at a meeting of more than 30 Dutch municipalities aimed at discussing the sale of soft-drugs such as marijuana and hashish.

A number of mayors is unhappy about the ongoing drugs tourism attracted by coffee shops and the nuisance they cause. Two towns near the Belgian border recently closed all coffee shops.

Just before the summit, Amsterdam announced it was shutting 43 coffee shops which under new government norms are too close to schools.

The summit discussed the possibility of legalising the growing of weed, which is currently illegal, and ways of discouraging drugs tourism.

SpacedCWBY

Veteran
Well, at least they're playing with some new ideas. They do things different over there, for sure. lol...

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
What if the coffeeshop was there before the school?

I see lawsuits coming. Hopefully, things can be stalled until the asshat conservative government is voted out.

Not to mention the recent ban of Psilocybin (magic mushrooms), because a confused 17 year old girl jumped off a bridge and drowned herself while trippin on schrooms.

What about all the thousands of people that drink themselves to death every year, traffic accidents and broken marriages due to alcohol?

Oops, no, can't ban alcohol. They wouldn't get re-elected if they did.

stasis

Veteran
Alcohol is the "Crack" that keeps the "Law-abiding citizens" dumbed down. Very effective I might say, as any life is OK when drunk, except when not drunk...

Amsterdam Mayor Job Cohen actually verbally acknowledged that the ratio of Problems with Drunken Tourists was massive compared to similar problems with Potsmokers. Like "_ - 0..."

daddy fingaz

The coffeeshops in that picture pretty much cover central Dam!! theres blatanty loads of other shops around those pictured that must be in the same area as schools, thats shocking really some good coffeshops gonna be lost!! :badday:

C

cbf

Insane, is the world really getting stricter about Cannabis when it should be getting more accepted, so backwards....

I think a NW state will be the first to legalize in the U.S. & soon. (next few years)
We'll be happy to have the tourist $$$'s, we got the dank!

Hell, we invented dank! :p

Dream on, I wish..

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
I wonder how they worked out which ones are within 250 metres of schools... did they use transprt routes and roads-or did they cheat and do it "as the crow flies2 as in they get a map-measure a how much makes the required distance-use a bit of string that length and draw a circle around the coffeshop- not taking into consideration the actual roads or streeets, or routes ppl travel, and the actual distance travelled because of this.... this is the way spanish package holiday hotels get away with saying ur hotel is a few yards from the beach when in reality you have to walk all through town to get to it. sneaky sneaky

M

manchild

I hate to say this but why not just relocate.I also would not want my kids going to school beside a coffee shop,liquor store or crack house.No one had anything to say when they were putting gun shops and liquor stores in poor communities but now its a problem.Plain and simple karma.Grow your own and build you a club behind your house for you and your friends.lol!

trichomefarmer

re-loading
Veteran
I'd love too know how many bars and stores that sell alcohol are within 250 meters of a school. They should also be forced to close and not be allowed to relocate. same with places selling cigarettes.
Im so sick and tired of "christian politicians" and the idiotic sheep that vote for em. biggest bunch of asshats to ever occupy europe and north america. If they like god so much they should off themselves and go join him.

Last edited:
C

cbf

I hate to say this but why not just relocate.I also would not want my kids going to school beside a coffee shop,liquor store or crack house.

Nothing wrong with Cannabis as long as 18 years is the age limit. Very lame of you to compare liquor and crack to cANNABIS...IMO

neuroherb

If HARM reduction was the implemented method to decrease hard drug usage using health services then their would be no profit in trying to run any kind of an addictive drug house.

The Netherlands has one of the lowest usage of hard drugs in Europe proving their policy of seperation of soft & drug usage works IMO alcohol being trated as if it is in the soft drug category even though UK scientists have listed it as more dangerous than herion or crack.

If the mayor of Amsterdam who has been involved with successful policies says not implementing the 250m isn't a problem in practice, then again IMO its just more politicians bashing the population to live with their chosen morals.