What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Goverment is closing 43 coffeeshops in amsterdam in 2011

Moppel

Grower for Life
Veteran
Even the Bulldog on the leidseplein has to close....is this the beginning of the end????

Last edited:

mr.haze420

Veteran
very sad news, the facts are that you cannot go into a coffeshop at 16 but you can go into a bar and get hammered on beer. how stupid is this government. they should close the bars that are close to schools, instead of the coffeeshops.

mitsu1

Lifetime Member
ICMag Donor
Hope not! Who chooses who stays open and who closes? And how? Short straws? Tax revenue? Is there a list?...mitsu

metamorf

Obviously right-wing religous asshats at work here with some added pressure from Big Brother USA.

How about doing something about the crackheads, heroin addicts, robbers and thieves that roam the streets of A-dam instead? Or the homeless?

mr.haze420

Veteran
metamorf said:
Obviously right-wing religous asshats at work here with some added pressure from Big Brother USA.

How about doing something about the crackheads, heroin addicts, robbers and thieves that roam the streets of A-dam instead? Or the homeless?

my sentiments exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C

Chamba

yes, a sad day....and could be the beginning of the end for the most sensible and practical "system" for cannabis retailing

let's hope those right wing controllers are voted out before that happens

anyway, let's face it, 99% of Am'dam's problems are non-pot related crime, alcohol and hard drug related....

Moppel

Grower for Life
Veteran
Chamba said:
anyway, let's face it, 99% of Am'dam's problems are non-pot related crime, alcohol and hard drug related....

yes, even the mayor from amsterdam is against the closings, like he was against the alcohol ban.

Anyone have a list of the shops affected???

Sure hope the government gets the boot over there before i take my travel $$$ some place else.

Moppel

Grower for Life
Veteran
probaly the goverment has one, but the list wasnt in the paper. It only said Bulldog on leidseplein.

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
A Drunken Clown. Out on the Town. Everyone Get Down.

A Drunken Clown. Out on the Town. Everyone Get Down.

Hey Moppel, et al.

I am on my way in a week to come visit...

Bulldog, eh...? Not a huge loss, but the governmental sentiment Sux, regardless.....

Hmmmm, sounds like the object is to make it "Appear" less "OK" or "accepted/tolerated" to tourists.. Or other EU nations. Maybe the authorities will act only on the shops that are "In the Tourists' Face," (WHICH would SUCK, for sure - plz do not misunderstand me).

Then, perhaps we could expect the larger scene, the "Whole C'shop" market stay in bizness.

The Authorities cannot want to see a huge black market - surrounding tourists as they depart Centraal Station.. Or the kingpin Coca dealers are Stoked, because now they can sell pot. Not have all those tweaking fools loose on the street...

The Authorities cannot want to lose all that tax revenue on C shop sales.

Or the Cash spent on all the other things that (Pot or not) tourists need, in order to have a vacation - such as accommodations, food (and we do like to eat), etc...

No need to call out in these pages for a Boycott. Because for most, there would be no more AMS vacations.

Some people care not at all for the cultural aspects of a trip to AMS, or even the Art.. I am not one of them, but many are... Admittedly, Art can be seen elsewhere.

Of course, most of us would still be able to enjoy a great thriving Night scene in AMS, and still get high with no worries.

But, I would go elsewhere, for the principle of it...

Let Us Collectively Mouth-Off regarding a lack of crackdowns on groups of drunken tourists....

Those "gangs - on - holiday" walking horizontally down narrow lanes, seemingly threatening skinheads, from Britain. Or, the Doofus Party-Rookies from other countries. Instant A-h*les, just add Alcohol......

it is a Bad vibe, which I did not see when I started touring Holland/AMS years ago... Someone should call their Mothers so they can apply a Smack Upside the Head...

Show me a pothead gang, all hopped-up on good hash, causing anyone any pain or consternation of any sort.. And I will be a Monkey's Great Uncle... lol

Last edited:

Moppel

Grower for Life
Veteran
Bulldog Leidseplein is one of the best places to hang out in amsterdam.....sure i dont mean to buy weed....although the have a pretty nice nepal.

Last edited:

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
Agreed. Good point. Moppel. Fun to get an herb Tea, puff on what 'cha got, sit under the glass, and peep watch.

chef

Gene Mangler
Veteran
meh, good riddance...

I think a NW state will be the first to legalize in the U.S. & soon. (next few years)
We'll be happy to have the tourist $$$'s, we got the dank!

Hell, we invented dank! :p

Latest posts

Latest posts