What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Got some problems.

KushaNator

Ok so heres my deal. This showed up roughly about 4 days ago. Theres is some reddish/brownish spotting on my older fan leaves accompanied with yellowing of the tips of the leaves, with the tell tale showings of the browned tips of nute burn. The new growth seems to be unaffected I am going on week 2 1/2 of flowering. Currently my babe is sitting in a gallon and a half pot and I have started flushing. I am pretty sure it is not a calcium def. Is it possible that nute burn would cause the spotting and yellowing. I am unable to post pics due to camera issues. Some other tid bits of information include day temps of 77 night 65, humidity currently at 55%...ph of 6.8. Any information or suggestions would be helpful. :redface:

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
can you give more detail as to your setup?
How big are the plants?

ARE YOU USING?

SOIL:
What STRAIN are you growing?
What was the establishing technique? (seed or clone?)
What is the age of your plants?
What PHASE (seedling, vegetative or flower) are the plants in?
What Technique are you using? (SOG, SCROG etc)
What size pots are you using? (Include how many subjects to pot)
What substrate/medium are you using? (percentage of perlite, vermiculite...etc?)
What Nutrient's are you using? *Knowing the brand is very helpful*
What is the TDS/EC/PPM of your nutrients used?
What is the pH of the "RUN-OFF"?
What method of pH test was administered?
When was your last water?
When was your last feeding?
What size bulb are you using?
What is the distance to the canopy?
What is your RH Factor? (Relative Humidity)
What is the canopy temperature?
What is the Day/Night Temp? (Include fluctuation range)
What is the current Air Flow? (cfm etc.)
Is the fan blowing directly at plants?
Is the grow substrate constantly wet or moist?
Is your water HARD or SOFT?
Has plant been recently pruned, cloned or pinched?
Have any pest chemicals been used? If so what and when?
Are plant's infected with pest's?

HYDROPONICS:

What STRAIN are you growing?
What was the establishing technique? (Were the seed or clone?)
What is the age of your plants?
What PHASE are the plants in? (seedling, vegetative or flower) are the plants in?
What Technique are you using?
What substrate/medium are you using?(Hydroton, RockWool etc.)
What is the Nutrient temperature?
What Nutrient's are you using?
What is the TDS/EC/PPM you are using?
What is the pH of the "Tank"?
Are you sure your calibration is correct on your equiptment?
When was your last watering?
When was your last feeding change? (ie. grow-bloom-micro-additional)
What size bulb are you using?
What is the distance to the canopy?
What is your RH Factor?
What is the canopy temperature?
What is the Day/Night Temp? (Include flucutaion range)
What is the current Air Flow? (cfm etc.)
Is the fan blowing directly at plants?
Is your water HARD or SOFT?
Has plant been recently pruned, cloned off of or pinched
Have any pest chemicals been used? If so, What and When?
Are plant's infected with pest's

KushaNator

My plant is about 14 inches tall as of now. It was LST so thats the reason why it is so small. The bud sites that it has presently are continuing to form new flowers so nothing is being stunted. As I said before the PH of my soil is 6.7 as of today with the reading I took after yesterdays hardcore flush. Some more info would be the 250 watter I am using in a cool tube that is about 6-8 inches away. Burn is not an issue the cab temps today were 74.5 degrees. As far as the strain I am growing its NL from female seeds. But the spots have not stopped appearing. I have never seen this before, they now appear since I took the plant out of my box rust colored/maroon with less yellowing of the affected leaves. Note as of today I did not remove any of the affected leaves. Besides this problem the plant appears to be healthy leaves shooting straight up, normal bud production. Could this possibly be a toxic salt build up level? I am using pure blend pro flower with LK and cal mag. Was watering twice a week, upped the level of nutes and this problem appeared, little more than 1/4 of what is recommended.

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
Well I would have to see pictures to see; and I am sure that would go for everyone who is going to help.

Pics say 1,000 words

Well I need the dosage... you did not list how often you fed either......

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
You still did not list how often you are feeding and how much in exact dosage.

You did not answer all the questions I posted. you left out some of the most important things...

WHat soil are you using the brand name?

How are you testing your ph? Strips? Meter?

Collecting the run off from the bottom of the pots?

Where did that leaf come from? lower middle upper part of the plant?

Looks like it may be phosphorus, P makes big spots like that random of the leaves but mostly closer to the veins or in between them... can't say 100% though I need more information about your grow.

You using RO water? Tap?

Last edited:

KushaNator

Feeding twice a week. But one is at 1/4 dosage 1/4 ounce pbp flower, 1 tsp LK, just added 1 tsp calmag first and second weeks. Going into the 3rd week so I bumped her up to at least half ounce pbp flower with 2 tsp LK no calmag this go round. The other feeding is an extremely watered down version of a normal feed that I give her. The soil is fox farms ocean forest with light warrior mix 1/2 perilite. PH testing is done with a pen not the cheap ones its nice...direct in soil type. The leaf is a lower fan. As far as water goes it tap...dechlorinated and ph buffered to about 6.9 to 7 the pbp brings it down to 6.8-6.6.

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
direct in soil type

There is no meter that checks proper in soil ph, you are not talking about the soil probe are you?

You need to test the run off of the mixture; after watering your plants you collect the run off and wait a min and then test to get the ph.

How long have they been in the mixture?

You are feeding 2 times a week? WHat size pots are these plants in and how big are they?

You feed to much man..... you should not need to feed more than once a week.... not to mention that resembles a P deficiency but you should not be having it..... I would be checking your ph properly considering you are testing it the wrong way.

KushaNator

I've stated that pot size already...gallon and a half pots. The runoff of the mix is 6.4-6.6 hard to tell the colors on the strips but its in that range. I also have said the size of the plants as well 14 inches due to low stress training with about 7-8 main colas. The spots have seemed to stop spreading so rapidly but they are still appearing. I do not think it is a P deficiency. I can tell a drastic difference in flower production day by day. Leaves are not stunting in growth either. The stem and petioles are purplish but all the NL's I have grown out have shown this trait.

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
I said it looked like one but did not say it was it..... you had your information so mixed up from post to post I could not find it, so excuse me.

SOme one else will help ya out, cause even though you answered my questions you scattered them even though I asked you several times.... still you are not answering all of them, you answered most of them but not all....

so good luck with your grows, may your grows be plentiful

KushaNator

I was not trying to be difficult believe me this is my first experience with something like this. I do appreciate your help though so do not take it personally it is my fault for not being direct with things. I think I answered all the major things that were needed to make an assumption with my sick plant. As of today I got a soil ph test kit it read at about 6.5- 6.6ish. I can now see the affected region of the plant which is located in the middle section. The lower branches/budsites and top budsites are unaffected by these spots. I am going to let the soil dry out over the next couple of days and see how she responds.

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
Naa, of course not man; Defiantly do not take it personally :)

Seriously I meant it that I hope you have plentiful grows down your road :tup:

I asked which your soil was, you did not answer... different kinds of soil has different kinds of ph.....

soiless mixtures need ph range of hydro..... where reguler soil mixture you are ijust n the range. So I was trying to find out if you were having ph related issues... because P gets locked out mainly in ph issues; it's rare to see someone starve there plant of P, most of the time it's from bad ph or not being stable.

Again not saying it's a p issue, but was just stating why I was asking the questions I did.
I asked also what water you are using, because if you are using RO water you have less calcium and magnesium in your plants..... it's not showing calcium and mag issues... but I always try to get any error a grower is doing to prevent them from making another mistake......

KushaNator

My soil is a mix of fox farms ocean forest and light warrior with 50/50 perilite ::chunky::. As far as water goes its basic tap water...more than likely its hard and I have sensitive skin so it dries me out :(. Out of the tap it read about 6.9 with the PH test strips, so I am going to just use plain water in 3 days to raise the ph a little. I am just as stumped as you are I have never EVER seen this its almost like the plant is responding and is healthy, something minor is wrong with it. One question stitch I have for you...does fish tank dechlorinator remove the hard minerals in the water too. If so can it cause the problems my plant is showing. The label says it removes hard minerals like calcium...yada yada. Would a whole plant shot also be helpful to help you get an idea of what shes doing as far as production its about week 3 and she is far surpassing any other plants I have had in the past as far as bud sites and weight as of now. Let me know if you need any more info!

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
I would not use fish dechlorinator, I have heard people use this and cause some problems; the only way do get it out is to let the water sit out for 24 to 48 hours.

The only way you are going to remove hard minerals or remove some is getting a filter system or put in a REverse osmosis system (RO).

Nope that is all the info I need, if it does not say safe for plants on the back of the bottle, I would not use it, cause if it takes minerals out of the water, I am sure it will affect other minerals as well.... so I would stop using it and see what happens. cause everything else is checking just fine with your grow.

Is that the first time you used this?

HeadyPete

Take Five...
Veteran
Intersting so far...

I don't see any tip burn on that leaf so I don't think you were overfeeding.

I question those ph testers and you may want to drop your fert ph a little more to bring the soil ph down a little more. I had some ph issues and dropped down to a 6.1 solution which brought my soil to 6.5 and all is well.

If you are serious about growing then invest in a digi pen (i use the milwaukee ph40 - $70) and use it.

I will be following along.

KushaNator

Yes it is. Could the amount of P I was giving it be leading into a slight magnesium problem? If so how would I go about correcting the problem if it is that. By the way here is a full body show circled in the red are the troubled areas.

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
That mineral reducer you are using to take out hard minerals are removing levels of calcium and magnesium; so I would add some magnesium to them if I were you.....

the levels of P you are using would not cause issues with magnesium; you would be having to hit them hard with bloom ferts to cause any issues..... and you are not; those plants are to healthy green.

KushaNator

Ok so I made a new mix of nutes... 1/2 oz of pbp flower, 2 tsp LK, and an advanced feeding of calmag which was recommended at 2 tsp. The PH of the mixture this time was at 6.7.It has been 3 days since I flushed with a gallon of water. The pot felt relatively light, and the roots are more than established. I fed with 2 and a half solo cups full of the mixture. Enough so just a little was in the drip pan. So now I will wait and give it 4 days of no watering to see what she does.

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
ya, I would like to know; never seen someone use mineral reducer for there water...... normally they just use RO or filtered water..... cause since it removes those minerals I am sure it would cause some issues for your plants; considering it does not state if it's safe for plants; but I bet it's not anyways.

KushaNator

Yea it probably was a stupid stupid decision. But hey you live and learn right. After checking on her today I noticed that she still is showing the spots and it seems as if its getting worse :badday: . If I was giving her to much P would she be burning on the leaves from nute burn.:rant: I am just so damn stumped...I mean honestly its aggravating. I had no issues with her during veg and early flowering. I know it could be the stuff I used to cleanse my water, but could she just be a mg and ca hog. If so would this be her signs of saying give me more. Just wish she would straighten herself out. Shes one of my nicest plants I have ever had I would hate to see her wither away and not give me shit for a harvest. Excuse my frustration.