What's new

Good places to eat in the Dam

Where are (in your opinion) the best places to eat in Amsterdam? Fresh food, good service, no B.S.!

Also, whats your favorite coffee shop for hash / weed?

-heads

mr.haze420

Veteran
melkweg restaurant eat at jo's, stoop and stoop, new king chinese, fellini's italian, burger bar, molly malones's, cafe de klos, caprese, sette bello, doner palace, ristorante gusto, plein 26, thai bird snackbar, prins heerlijk, haven van texel, upstairs pancake house, t' pakhuis,

G

There's no shortage of good places to eat in Amsterdam, the restaurants in the leidseplein area are by and large the best ones and there are dozens of them on the streets leading of the leidseplein.

mr.haze420

Veteran
stay away from any italian restaurant that has shaorma pizza on the menu, they are not italian

oakwood

cafe kopel best burger in town mmmmm i loved going there better then the hard rock.

for a good cheap sandwich witch we all need since the dollar sucks :fsu:
is Brodje Burt on the singel :violin:

mr.haze420

Veteran
yeah, that cafe has great hamburgers, but at 14.50 euros a rip off, broodje bert is really good. if you want a big sandwich, go to the butcher and order your cold cuts by the gram and tell them to put it on the bread. normal american sandwich is 5 1/3 oz. which is 150 grams or so. i do it even though they look at me funny when i say i want it all on 1 roll hahahahahaha

C

Chamba

good service,

lol

it would be more common to find an intact hymen in a window of the Red light district than professional, efficient, friendly, fast service in many, but not all, Amsterdam restaurants when compared to the US or Australia.......

....maybe all the Dutch waitroids go to Paris for their training?

ask locals where they eat and recommmend, that's always the best!

G

Chamba said:
good service,

lol

it would be more common to find an intact hymen in a window of the Red light district than professional, efficient, friendly, fast service in many, but not all, Amsterdam restaurants when compared to the US or Australia.......

....maybe all the Dutch waitroids go to Paris for their training?

ask locals where they eat and recommmend, that's always the best!

Having spent a week in AD - I can say your post was spot on ...& made me :laughing: / My best food & service came from off the beaten path del-shops - a few friendly people, great sanwiches & deserts @ decent prices are to be found!

IMO; NOLS in Har. - great shop/goods/service/friendly people

Keep it frosty

(act like a fool in AD & you will be treated like one)

theherbalizor

Veteran
Cafe Kulper i think is a really good one. Great burgers, I saw the owner of Man U in there on my last visit, eating with the president of boeing and some large german officials. Obvious the place to have dinner.

What was that great fish restaurant we went to mr haze, on spuisstratte (sorry sp).

I love Joselitos, its great value spanish tapas, although i reckon mr haze will have somthing to say on that one!

booforever

iguazu is good for steak and chorizo:tbh it's been a few years, hope it's still there
this site is quite good too : http://www.amsterdamhotspots.nl/eat.html
but man, even on a budget there are soo many cheap options....last may there was this cheap and cheerful chinese chain, can't remember the name but there were a few round the warmoesstraat area, they have orange shop fronts decked out more like a fast food joint than a restaurant and you could have noodle or rice, with beef,chicken, pork or shrimp, and a selection of sauces...cheap and cheerful like i said...wilma and alberts in haarlem also sounds pretty spesh too...but if yer skint, bread, cheese, and cold meat from the supermarkets will keep ye goin

G

I reckon we should find a nice big, smoker friendly restaurant on Saturday and have a good meal, I never get to eat out cos I live in the middle of nowhere!

booforever

aw Mr. you bringer of bad tidings lol, that's a shame about iguazu closin down...it had been a coupla years since i'd last been tbh-didn't make it last may when i was over so wasn't sure if it was still goin...it's a shame cos i remember havin one of the nicest meals i've had in the dam and it was a nice wee place to sit aswell....oh well...i don't think my budget will stretch to wilma and alberts this year so cheap chinese and baguettes it is hehe

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Febo my friend, 1Euro and a whole bank of shiny cubbyholes are yours to explore and forage amongst. Fast it surely is, and when you get the hang of what is what, tasty too.....

Otherwise, I love the Indonesian almost at the top [station end, 2 shop units] of Warmoestraat, called Kam Ling or something similar... very good fast, tasty, cheap stir frys

G

Kam Ling is good, eaten there many times, all the Chinese places at that end of Warmoesstraat are good and cheap from what I remember.

accessndx

♫All I want to do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom..
Veteran
I just came back from A'dam. I had the same questions about good food/eateries...

Here's a few places that were not only edible but GOOD:

Wagamama: like Asian fusion quisine that was really healthy and good.....great noodle dishes with filet mignon, chicken, etc. It reminded me of a Hibachi Steak house, but without all the pomp and circumstance. There are a few throughout the Netherlands, I went to the one around the corner from the downtown Amsterdam Mariott. For your convenience I've included a link to all the locations:

http://www.wagamama.nl/locations_all.php?PHPSESSID=c3rgslte23k38v381a3vguueu2

Hard Rock Cafe Amsterdam: Max Euweplein 57- 61
1017 MA Amsterdam, Netherlands
+31 20 5237625

It's what you'd usually expect for a Hard Rock Cafe. The good part is the food is rather standard disregardless of where you are in the world. I got some insane Mojitos as well as some crazy ass macaroni and cheese dish with grilled chicken.
Good food, good times. A bit trendy, but any port in a storm is good.

Barney's Breakfast Bar: Haarlemmerstraat 102
Another great place with drinks, food and friendly environment for toking. Right across the street is their coffeeshop that has some dank nugs: laughing buddha, crimea blue, red cherry berry...to name a few. My suggestion is to get your buds at the shop and stroll over to the "breakfast bar". The coffeeshop was a bit on the dirty side and the table service was a bit lax (no offense...but it was). On the upside the budtender was a nice chap that had a plethora of good information and suggestions. They also have seeds that aren't available elsewhere.
The "other" Barney's where they primarily serve food was pristinely clean, and service was fast and efficient. I had a veggie burger, Mojitos and some kind of crazy chocolate cake with ice cream. I'm sorry to say I didn't have the breakfast which they are so renowned for....(it was the afternoon by the time I got there)...but breakfast is available all day.

That should keep you fed for at least a day or so...(LOL).

Oooh...one other thing: Check out the bakery (not sure what the name was, but it's literally two doors or so down on the corner of the same street) right next to the Tweed Kamer (spelling?) coffesshop. It's owned by the same people that own Dampkring (spelling?). That bakery has great stuff to grab and go including sandwiches filled with goodness, chocolates of all descriptions, things filled and covered with whipped cream....mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. And they make the spacecakes for Tweed Kamer (which I wasn't impressed with for strength...but the taste was fantastic). I'd eat those spacecakes even if they weren't supposed to get you high!

Hope that helps. Enjoy the 'dam. I know I did....my wife can't wait to go back.

booforever

Yeah warmoestraat is a pretty safe bet, lol i think "met kip" was the first dutch phrase i ever used...we went to find katsu last time i was over and we walked through the market on the way there and there was this little stall with fresh anchovies for sale, and boy did i wish we'd gone self-catering!! I lived in the Basque country for a while and ye hardly ever see fresh antxoas in Scotland, boy do i miss my healthy eating days. Never been stoned anough to try the febo drawers tbh, but there's a little spanish deli/vinoteca over by haarlemerstraat area where they make tortilla de patata and croquetas and the last time we went they even had membrillo, man i was in munch heaven.
On another note, i dunno if peeps will be heading to haarlem over the 420 period but there's a bar/cafe on the right hand side as you come outta the train station from the 'dam, i seem to remember it's got a green shop front? They do a wicked club sandwich which was pretty reasonable too.

Last edited:
Golden Chopsticks tollstraat, also their was this awsome place called HotPotato in the leidsplein i think,they server baked potatoes with any topping you could think of and i mean any topping.Any of you been their?Bubbleman turned me on to the place in 03.Allways good food can be found if you look.What about the Irish pub on wormoerstraat,I've had some good eats their too.

allwhazefaded and Fam.