What's new

Good Night Irene!

Space Toker

Veteran
I am surprised there is no thread on this yet. The track now has me staring down the barrel of a loaded shotgun, and now the reality is setting in and I am worried. So I think we should discuss what preparations should be taken.

Both in general and to protect grow rooms for those who have them. What do you do then? Running a generator for a week or more could be very expensive. What about if they are in veg and then either have to be in darkness or put outside where they would start to flower prematurely? And other angles I can't think about. Anytihng to help should be discussed here and now. Thanks!

H

h^2 O

Supposed to hit here Sunday. Cant wait. I think it will be windy and rainy, nothing more. Don't get too freaked out, its going to be a category 1 or 2 at most by the time it gets here. Unless you're in NC? I'm in beantown.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Water, batteries, flashlights, food, a small generator, fans, portable tanks of gas. Hurricane Ike knocked power in Houston out for three weeks in some places. Two at mine. I live in the country now and have a 17k propane tank run generator connected to my house.

Another thing I like to have on the list is some drank for the hurricane party. Louisiana traditio. Ass, brass, and grass too. :joint:

Best wishes bro. Hurricanes are a trip.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ike was a strong 3 near direct hit on Houston. Cat 1 or 2 aren't anything. Reasons to drink smoke a d not go to school/work the next day. I think the west side of the storm is the worst.

Strainhunter

Tropical Outcast
Veteran
If your plants are in veg put in Fluoros and get one of the below.

These run extremely quiet and on next to nothing and will keep your plants from getting stressed or worse die.

The smaller one costs a little over a grand, the bigger one double that.

companioneu2lg.gif
hoeu3000.jpg

Space Toker

Veteran
excellent suggestion Strainhunter! Yeah it could be anything from a strong 1 to a strong 2 here, like 85-105 mph I'm hearing. That can do some damage, maybe not close to what a cat 3 or 4 would do let alone 5, but the strongest we ever had here was Gloria 25 years or so ago, and that was about 75 mph, and even that made a mess. Then that ice storm a couple years back knocked out power for several days and that sucked too. It will suck at the very least, hopefully it won't suck too bad. The strange thing is, I usually love storms, big snowstorms and such. And for the longest time I wanted something to surpass Gloria, to experience it would be exciting I thought. I guess I will find out but now more worried than excited. But again the generator suggestion was good, I heard diesel is the best and most efficient but who can afford them? Those above would be enough for most peoples needs

Space Toker

Veteran
Water, batteries, flashlights, food, a small generator, fans, portable tanks of gas. Hurricane Ike knocked power in Houston out for three weeks in some places. Two at mine. I live in the country now and have a 17k propane tank run generator connected to my house.

Another thing I like to have on the list is some drank for the hurricane party. Louisiana traditio. Ass, brass, and grass too. :joint:

Best wishes bro. Hurricanes are a trip.

thanks man, and yeah I wish I had all that. I think I will get a generator for the piece of mind anyway. I can't stop it, so I might as well embrace it and experience the power of mother nature. get back to being excited again. It sure beats being worried, I do that and get mad pains in my side so can't afford to with my health. Happy thoughts.

Space Toker

Veteran
well now they say it's not going to intensify as much, go well west of us, and go over some land first. So maybe 65 mph winds, way less than before. In a way it is slightly dissappointing but no power outages would be good. But, there could still be outages even with a tropical storm. And of course the track can always change again and I have a feeling it will, to the east a bit. We will see.

Space Toker

Veteran
It now seems North Carolina may bear the brunt of the storm at its worst, I wish anyone there well and stay safe. peace

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
I remember Hugo in 89. Charlotte was a cat 1 hurricane with 80 mph sustained. A couple of skyscrapers had glass panels blown from the frame. Power was out for two weeks and more in some places. I remember this one little gas joint that had power in a sea of blackout. Three hundred people lined up to buy anything that fucker had to sell. He probably retired the next morning.

U4ic

I got hammered by Isabel a few years ago and now here comes Irene... Isabel was a strong 2 when it here in south East coast of VA. I had oak trees in my yard snap 8ft up.. House was fine but had no power for 2 weeks.. I got 10 Sour bubbles outside that I got to deal with ....

I

In~Plain~Site

I bought this place (middle of nowhere) 15 years ago.Didn't take all that long to figure out I was going to need a generator(among other items) around here...I was a city boy.
I had two(2) sub-panels installed that have the ability to power the entire house with a 25KW genset.

Fresh water source
PDW's
Stocked Pantry

And plenty of smoke :joint:

If I didn't know any better, I'd swear I was preparing for something much worse :D

H

h^2 O

from what I hear it's going to cut right up through Massachusetts, the east side of the storm will be hitting Boston. Saying 115mph winds.

Space Toker

Veteran
from what I hear it's going to cut right up through Massachusetts, the east side of the storm will be hitting Boston. Saying 115mph winds.

No offense but where did you get your info? The maps I saw showed it tracking right over the Berkshires, well west of me but doubly so for you.

G

Guest 88950

good luck...........nothing special here in fl but SpasticGramps has solid advice.

fill you tub with h2o.......to flush toilets.

pack your fridge and freezer full and set on coldest setting.

full tank of gas.....to go to a place giving away h2o / ice.

if your near the coast then the NW part of the storm has the highest storm surge.

glad it missed fl but sorry it didnt curve out into the atlantic.

any thought on irene further damaging the washington monument and other areas affected by the quake. definitly not good.

H

h^2 O

No offense but where did you get your info? The maps I saw showed it tracking right over the Berkshires, well west of me but doubly so for you.

errr...the berkshires are west of me...i think
hurricane is supposed to go right through massachusetts, west getting the rain, boston getting the wind

G

Guest 88950

if your needing work, have a chainsaw, truck & trailer then irene is about to provide you some good ol stimulus.

roofers are in high demand in the following weeks and months.

Latest posts

Latest posts