What's new

Golden Tigerx Panama Fem

Texicwaste666

These are my 7 1/2 week Golden Tiger/Panama. Premium coco, nutes. Temp at 78, humidity at 50%, and no bad stuff like diseases or bugs. My concern is the aroma. I grew out some Panama/Malawi and got a great yield, but did not like the aroma after drying, too much lemon. The buzz was good, but the lemon dominance was a not what I thought it would be. Now, it seems the same thing is going to happen with this grow. I have everything in control, very green and lush and growing well, already real sticky and there is at least another 4 weeks left. I am wondering if the Panama is ruining it with the lemon smell, or something else. Ace does not ship to the USA so I had to buy from England as it is hard to import good seeds from Euro as well now. The current plants I am growing are supposed to smell like "Organic/rotten, with citric and incensey Panama's touches" yet these are real sweet and citrusy, very lemony. No insult to the plants, they are beautiful except the front two that are a bit larfy. I'm hoping someone here that has experience with this plant can give some advice on how to influence the scent and drying techniques for this strain to get all it can be. "Organic/rotten, with citric and incensey Panama's touches" sounds wonderful, but I don't smell anything but the citrus ( lemon). Is it me or the plants? I am on 11/13 cycle. I just got my hands on some A5 Haze seeds and am looking forward to growing them, but I don't want that lemon smell. Help.

Attachments

• 20230622_113944.jpg
    20230622_113944.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 77
  • 20230622_113948.jpg
    20230622_113948.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 81
  • 20230622_113953.jpg
    20230622_113953.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 83
  • 20230622_114014.jpg
    20230622_114014.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 71
  • 20230622_114030.jpg
    20230622_114030.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 83
Last edited:

goingrey

I recall someone here making an observation that LEDs are good at bringing out lemony scents.

And certainly I have grown a couple of super lemony plants with LEDs.

But the Panama I grew with HPS could also turn out super lemony. So...

You've got two things going against you if you don't like lemony. :D

Not sure what you can do. Water cure it? But then you lose all smell not the component you want to get rid of.

Some Hazes can definitely be lemony too but A5 shouldn't be one of those. Not sure which seeds you mean, ACE only offers it in crosses with other strains, and there are couple of those. Some you might have good luck with but for example the Panama A5 Haze you might not want to go for.

Taima-da

My GTXP leaned toward rotten organic but a couple of the Panama I have grown in the past were supercharged lemon.

The aroma may shift as you head into maturity, certainly they have a way to go, and a lot of change can happen in the last weeks.

You could cob cure at least a proportion, you may really enjoy the result.

Ras Kali Rasta

Too lemony is a problem that I like to have! That being said, if it is not your thing, Panama and it's crosses are probably not the way to go for you. It's possible that you got the new version of GTP, rather than the old. The old one was a unique, organic/rotten GT mother crossed to Panama Goddess. The new version contains Koh Chaing dominant GT × PG and Meo dominant GT × PG. There was a delay in updating the strain description, so you might have the version that doesn't fit the description you read when ordering. See the GTP thread for details.

If the A5 seeds you have are Killer A5, you will be in luck. It's not lemony at all. If they are Panama A5, they are probably fine too, as the A5 dominates that cross (though I can't vouch for that personally, as I haven't grown it).

Drying too fast kills the lemon smells for me. Some terps are more volatile than others. A long cure usually does the trick too. I would like to know how to preserve the lemon scents better.

goingrey

I would like to know how to preserve the lemon scents better.
I have a maybe two year old jar of OG that is still super lemony.

What I can tell you is:
  • the jar is still full - hasn't been opened much since the initial burping period, everything sealed in
  • despite that, the weed is bone dry, must have been overdried before curing
  • stored in a cellar (stable cool temps)

Texicwaste666

Thanks, I appreciate the replies. The smell is changing a bit as it matures. Im in week 9 now, so I am having good thoughts. The A5 I got is the Killler, yay. The buds are starting to get more filled in. Ill post more pics in a week or so. These things really took off and are about 1 and 3/4 meters tall and I put them into photo period at 38 cm.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi @Texicwaste666 :) Thanks a lot for choosing our sativas!

As others correctly pointed, our Panama Goddess hybrids (such as Panama x Malawi too) are most of the times very lemony dominant.

First Golden Tiger x Panama version released a few years ago had much more organic-rotten aromas from a specific GT mother. Second current version involves more Thai leaning mother of more classic Thai lemony terpenes, so the lemon terpene profile of this hybrid comes from both parent plants involved. I'm very sorry current strain description on our website regarding bouquet was not properly updated or accurate enough to make you choose closer for your taste. I take note to correct it.

Please keep us updated how scents are evolving on your GT x Panama and other ACE plants in your garden.
Thanks for sharing your feedback and pics with us!

Texicwaste666

these are my 10+ week plants now. They are still hairy and I put them on 14/10. I don't know if I should start flushing at week 11 or wait as there are so many hairs still and they have not popped yet ( if they in fact do 'pop'). I had to do a lot of tying as they are so heavy and are sagging the limbs. One plant sadly did not develop the big buds like the others did, but I am hoping it does something. Does anyone know when I should start the flush? the leaves are drooping a little because I turned the lights on to take the photos, they were sleeping. should I just keep feeding and waiting or is there a way to induce a finish, do they finish ?

Attachments

• 20230706_121546.jpg
    20230706_121546.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 69
  • 20230706_121539.jpg
    20230706_121539.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 73
  • 20230706_121532.jpg
    20230706_121532.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 63
  • 20230706_121520.jpg
    20230706_121520.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 70
  • 20230706_121513.jpg
    20230706_121513.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 70
  • 20230706_121513 (1).jpg
    20230706_121513 (1).jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 65
  • 20230706_121317.jpg
    20230706_121317.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 63
  • 20230706_121259.jpg
    20230706_121259.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 67
  • 20230706_121253.jpg
    20230706_121253.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 68

Taima-da

They still have a ways to go yet looking at colour, vigour, pistils, and over all development.
Hopefully @dubi can chime in, but I'd say at least two or three weeks before starting to think about flushing.

I would hope for expansion of the majority of calyxes and a large proportion of pistils to turn before you think about the chop.
You'll hopefully gain a lot in weight by then

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi @Texicwaste666 they are having a good progress. Looks like they are still making volume and weight so i won't cut the feeding and start flushing yet, get back to us in 10 days or so so we can check it out again.

If flowering is taking too long, beside lowering photoperiod to 11/13 or 10/14, I would cut a bit the nitrogen while keeping up the rest of the nutrients.

Texicwaste666

Thanks Dubi, I am going to cut the nitro and see if that gets them rocking. I have two solutions, one is 0-5-6, or the other 1-5-5. which way do you think is best to go? also, should I cut back on the nutes by about half?

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi @Texicwaste666 keep the ec still high, mainly with PK, decrease a lot the nitrogen, but not fully eliminated, just a bit. These hungry beasts need time and still have a few things to say before thinking on fully eliminate N from the feeding.

Texicwaste666

these girls are entering week 12, they seem to be not finishing. Is there a way to get them to finish I don't know? They are on 14/10, reduced nitrogen, but the pistols are not changing. I hope I don't end up at week 15 and still have white hairs and no calyxes. I'll throw some pics up tomorrow, hopefully I can get some advice

Taima-da

More time.
Just don't pick them under ripe, you can gain a lot in weight, resin coverage and terps in the last weeks.

Then you just got to give them a good long cure to get the best out of them!

Tangwena

Veteran
Is that week 12 from the flip? If so its not exact you should count from the start of flowering looking at them they have 2 or 3 weeks still to go.
I only ever count from first flowers showing.
If you cut them at 12 weeks from flip they will be way too immature the calyx still have to swell up yet.
Drop the lights on to 9 or even 8 hrs on they will panic and hurry up big time.
I do it all the time you will be amazed what happens.

Texicwaste666

Is that week 12 from the flip? If so its not exact you should count from the start of flowering looking at them they have 2 or 3 weeks still to go.
I only ever count from first flowers showing.
If you cut them at 12 weeks from flip they will be way too immature the calyx still have to swell up yet.
Drop the lights on to 9 or even 8 hrs on they will panic and hurry up big time.
I do it all the time you will be amazed what happens.
thanks, I was thinking about 9/15. gonna give it a try.

Texicwaste666

Going into week 13 from flip. These are some big mamas. giant colas. They are just starting to come in now. Smell is getting more floral than lemon now, but I won't know till after I cure. Looks like they still need a couple more weeks I think. They are so heavy, lots of tying. Maybe Dubi can tell when I should start flushing, I don't know how much longer they will take till ready.

Attachments

• 20230724_221814.jpg
    20230724_221814.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 73
  • 20230724_221821.jpg
    20230724_221821.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 77
  • 20230724_221837.jpg
    20230724_221837.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 75
  • 20230724_221848.jpg
    20230724_221848.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 77
  • 20230724_221903.jpg
    20230724_221903.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 72

Texicwaste666

Hi everybody, I have a question about GT/P. Should I put them in the dark for a day or so to get them to finish. There are calyxes on parts of the plants, but pistols on most parts. I have them on 15 hrs of dark, and there is no sign most of the buds swelling into calyxes. It is week 13 (mid) from flip. The buds are huge but I am worried they will be larfy because maybe they will not get dense enough. Some, like the orange one in the last photos I posted are great but for the most part they are still white pistols. Also, Dubi suggested I not eliminate the nitrogen completely, so I am thinking if someone here has grown this strain, or Dubi, maybe I can get some advise on how to go forward and make this a successful crop. These are supposed to be 11/12 week plants given the breaks but I am already into week 13 with no end in sight. Help.

Taima-da

The calyxes will swell.

Plenty of white pistils is good as it means many more calyxes to fill out, bringing weight and resin. That can happen quite quickly at the end.

They may take a bit longer flowering depending on when they were flipped, or you might have a couple of later finishing g.t. phenos.
Either way you're nearly there, this is the good bit, most of the work is done and you're just waiting for a peak in maturity.

You might flush the most developed one in readiness to pick, spread the load for trimming etc.

One member here has the byline-"patience is the mark of an experienced grower".
You'll be glad you were patient.

Latest posts

Latest posts