What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Golden Tiger

SonicNurse92

2 clones GT regulares (puse 4 regulares y las 4 salieron hembras :biggrin:) los pondré a florecer en una semana y controlaré el estirón en las macetas de 3 litros hasta casi los 15 días de floración y luego haré un trasplante a 6 litros. Intentaré alimentarlas bien y no pasarme con los riegos. Me interesa ver su fenotipo ya que son muy parecidas. Cuando las cultivé la primera vez no les hice justicia pero parecían equilibradas mitad y mitad Thai/Malawi.

Saludos :tiphat:

SN92

Attachments

• 20191126_140459.jpg
    20191126_140459.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 20191126_140819.jpg
    20191126_140819.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 17

musigny23

Has anyone finished GT (or Malawi) outside in freezing temperatures? I am curious how tolerant they are to frost/freeze. The fall weather has been perfect for the long flowering sativas, but a storm is coming with both snow and freezing temperatures. Last night dropped to 30F, and the plants are fine this morning, but it is going to drop to 25F in a couple of days. I have a little greenhouse I can setup for them, or can chop them (about a week early I reckon), but also wondering if they'll survive on their own.

Any input would be appreciated! Thanks all!

I'm in NorCal too but my GT (regular) finished about 10 days ago. My fem GT finished in mid October. I'm surprised you're still going.
I would say think of it this way. if you can protect them, do it. If not then take a real good look at them and think about, how much upside is there to continuing vs how much downside if leaving them out means they take a beating.

If you're within a week, I don't see how the risk is worth it. There isn't any way a wee bit more maturity is worth what stormy harsh weather could damage or even ruin.

SolarLogos

Has anyone finished GT (or Malawi) outside in freezing temperatures? I am curious how tolerant they are to frost/freeze. The fall weather has been perfect for the long flowering sativas, but a storm is coming with both snow and freezing temperatures. Last night dropped to 30F, and the plants are fine this morning, but it is going to drop to 25F in a couple of days. I have a little greenhouse I can setup for them, or can chop them (about a week early I reckon), but also wondering if they'll survive on their own.

Any input would be appreciated! Thanks all!
Greetings friend,
I live in N. Cali and flower in my greenhouse all winter. Last year I did not use a heater, but temps inside my greenhouse only got down to about 33-34F and my GT and Malawi did great. Here is a pic of GT and Malawi just before harvest in January
GT and Malawi on right.

They will flower slower and are slow to amber, but the trichomes are full and the terpenes really smell fresh and strong.

With temps going as low as 25, you may need a heater in a greenhouse though. They are pretty hardy and can take the low temps, but when it gets 33-34 in my greenhouse, it's only for an hour or two in the early morning, but then the sun is up and warming right back into the upper 70's to low 80's. I'm afraid that at 25F, they will be at and below freezing for too long.

If you decide the later and chop, the high will be a lot more up, clear. I've let the Malawi and Malawi GT go long and I've picked them early. It's my experience that Malawi and Malawi dom GT when they go long/ambers, become like a sedative for the mind. It is complete zombie weed to me. Turns my mind to mush and I can't think. Great when I need to shut my mind down to sleep after smoking introverted sativa, but otherwise, it's not my thing. I prefer the creativity, endless flow of thoughts, contemplation, other worldly dimensional, etc.
Good luck my friend, let us know how it turns out.
Peace, God bless

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi Solar did you ever think that finishing them so cold might have effected the high?
Mine finished at 32c temps had me sponge mopping the dust off of the walls of my bedrooms with loud music I have never mopped the walls of my house before or had the energy for that matter ha ha.

SolarLogos

Hi Solar did you ever think that finishing them so cold might have effected the high?
Mine finished at 32c temps had me sponge mopping the dust off of the walls of my bedrooms with loud music I have never mopped the walls of my house before or had the energy for that matter ha ha.
Greetings Brother, thanks for stopping by. You always bring up excellent thoughts.

Temperature: Those girls in the greenhouse were the clones to the mothers that flowered using light dep during the summer. I think with more equatorial, tropical or wild sativa, temperature makes a big difference. I much preferred my winter GT and Malawi over the summer run. I discussed this on my NevHazexPan, Honduran/pan, thread, regarding temperature for equatorial sativa. Here is what I wrote:
You are right, temperature can make a difference, in fact, I was researching the weather in Santa Marta Colombia. Winter solstice is 11.5 daylight hours and summer solstice is 12 hours 47 minutes. Winter and summer temperatures only vary by 4 degrees. So the plant relies on more subtle changes in daylight hours and temperature to flower. Interestingly, there is a lot of overcast weather year round, ranging from 5% clear to 51% clear. I assume that means the plants are used to more red light, 680 nm perhaps. I plan on playing around with this light schedule and temperature schedule in my grow room. I think adding far red in small amounts during about 8 hours of an 11 hour daylight, increasing it the last 40 minutes or so before the lights go off.

I will try increasing red at the last 30-40 minutes or so to signal night to the equatorial long flowering sativa, rather than reduce light further, along with a drop in temperatures, only about 5-7F at the beginning of flower time. This time, I won't be going below 11.5 hours/day and see what happens.

Now I also mentioned a little red during the daylight hours indoors. To mimic the overcast weather, I also plan to start reducing the blue and increase red about half way through flower and see if changes in temps and color can help them finish. Just some experiments I want to try.

Peace, God bless

covert

I'm enjoying my experience with GT 2018 reg quartet. It's only a month and it feels like I've had her for years. Early sampling is very rewarding.

covert

Would -

25% Natural Malawi Killer short phenotype
25% Malawi leaning medium phenotype
25% Thai leaning medium phenotype
25% Thai leaning tall phenotype

be the most likely outcome for chances of getting phenotypes?

Are there other well known phenotypes?

squatty

I wasn't sure if you folks had discussed the limited edition Thai Chiang Mai Golden Tiger newly available at Ace.

musigny23

I wasn't sure if you folks had discussed the limited edition Thai Chiang Mai Golden Tiger newly available at Ace.

It's pretty new I think. And interesting. I wonder how much different it is from the most recent version of standard Golden Tiger? This past season I grew both the feminized and standard GTs and they were quite different. The fem was Malawi dominant and the standard was quite Thai dominant. Very clear difference that if you didn't know you would never think they have the same name. I think this particular regular version has been available for about a year or so and I'm not sure how many GT growers were aware of it being much more Thai than before.

The new one looks from the description to be bred entirely without the previous Thai strains (Koh Chang Thai and Hmong Thai)that were used for GT. Just the Chiang Mai is used in this one. Going to have to check it out. GT is one of my favorite Ace strains.

covert

My samples were from a redustributor from the last quarter of last year and not in a vendors pack but repacked.

Would they be more likely to be the previous version?

The Thai leaner has lime green narrower leaflets and darker (almost blue green) veining (as opposed to lighter veins).

musigny23

My samples were from a redustributor from the last quarter of last year and not in a vendors pack but repacked.

Would they be more likely to be the previous version?

On September 5 2018 Ace send out an email about GT fem and reg seeds being back in stock. It mentions they "made a great improvement" in 2014. So it seems this version has been around a while but my experience is that the restock version showed even more consistent Thai dominance. Just one anecdotal report from my very limited sample.

Hard to say for sure what you have from the reseller. I would expect it's certainly post 2014 and may well also be from the 9/2018 restock if the reseller got restocked in Fall 2018 too. Maybe ask them?

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Interesting. I just might have to order a pack of these this time instead of going with standard GT.

Zomboy

Veteran
The standard version of the new GT is sold out already. Says the standard version was a limited release.

Oddvar

Hello everyone! Here a golden tiger fem, which phenotype will it be? What effect can I expect?

Thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_20191226_135520286.jpg
    IMG_20191226_135520286.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20191226_135350378.jpg
    IMG_20191226_135350378.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20191226_134356325.jpg
    IMG_20191226_134356325.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 27

musigny23

Hello everyone! Here a golden tiger fem, which phenotype will it be? What effect can I expect?

Thanks!!

It's a bit too early to say. My limited experience of the recent fem release was that the Malawi is dominant and there are at least two phenos that appear along that line.

Expect strong effects.

covert

In a 4 plant grow (roughly 6-7 weeks from seed 12:12 for 3 weeks and 11:13 for 3 weeks)

2 females have shown pistils for 6 days now.

Two others, one that had a spade shaped preflower 3 weeks ago and another that seemed female have not shown sacs or pistils. Suspecting them of both being male now.

Are GT males known to show sex later than the females typically?

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Are GT males known to show sex later than the females typically?

There is one pheno that can show male flowers late. This happened in my recent GT grow. I'd have to go back into my journal, but I think I had initially confirmed that 2 out of 4 plants were definite males... Then 1 female was confirmed with the 4th plant being still undetermined, and I assumed it was a late-flowering female... Then that 4th plant ended up being a male.

covert

Thanks for that. The unknown showed pistils the next day so its 3 girls and one boy.

So here's a mini vape report for the male growing tips from the start of flowering period. Material was quick sweat cured followed by shredding and then tin dried. Around 6-7 tips were used and a half bowl in a Pax3 vaped.

A glow was felt after 5 minutes in a creeping way. It built to a soaring electric high that continues to build to a crescendo at 15 -25 mins.

Intense disorientation at times with swaying sensations and time warping. All accompanied by body vibrations and quicker heart rate. Head is clear and thinking is unaffected.

The oddness is still present 3 hours later and the disorientation hits in waves. Sometimes quite scary and leading to some paranoia about sounds heard and sensations experienced.

Intense and feels like it will never end. Took 3-4 hours and definitely not a night smoke. Felt like amphetamine rather than weed and one thought was whether the Pax machine had had some malfunction and leaked electronic smoke into the vape path.

Constant feeling of intense isolation and loneliness. As if one was cut off from existence and in an isolated world. Surreal.

Only somatic effect was the high frequency vibrational feeling and with eyes closed as if one were melted into the surface one was upon.

One word report would be.... scary.

The male had 3 colas, one main being left for pollenating the females. The intent had been to continue harvesting growing tips from the spare 2 colas on the male as interim smoke material but the brutal intensity and starkness of the experience was obviously too much.

The spare 2 colas were pruned and shredded the next day leaving the one only for pollenation. Won't sample the male again as it was way too intense.

Last edited: