What's new

Going Vert to pay the bills

JayRyan

5 days in, a few minor water leaks, an air pump went bad, but the plants look great. I've also built two of the PVC framed nets I'm going to use once the plants get a bit taller. I am also playing with adding two more plants. I'm just afraid of what will happen when I throw the 12x12 switch and then wind up with an over crowding problem.

Pics:

JayRyan

I slipped in a 5th plant this am. She's a ChemDawg clone. I've been growing her for the last couple of years. I also added a few moveable squares of the insulation board to tighten up behind the plants:

Sleeper7784

Looking good. Lift that light up higher. You want them to grow vertical and stretch out. Usually have the end of the bulb an inch or 2 above the hight of the plants then once they've grown vertical enough to be even with the base of the bulb you can start lifting as needed. In the size space your in that should be about when you want to start planing your flip, once you need to start moving the light.

JayRyan

Looking good. Lift that light up higher. You want them to grow vertical and stretch out. Usually have the end of the bulb an inch or 2 above the hight of the plants then once they've grown vertical enough to be even with the base of the bulb you can start lifting as needed. In the size space your in that should be about when you want to start planing your flip, once you need to start moving the light.

Brilliant suggestion, thank you!

ydijadoit

Looking good Jay. I love the first run in a new room. As long as nothing major goes wrong, the little things keep it from ever getting boring!
Keep up the good work!

JayRyan

Took some pictures this am. The ladies are doing nicely. The ChemDawg I put in last week is looking like she will really stretch. So, my plan now is to flip to 12x12, and swap bulbs to HPS this week. I will also be finishing up the screens I have been building. 2 more to go...

Thanks ydijadoit, and Yakov!

Here they are, looking very healthy:

Sleeper7784

Yes they do look pretty. Do you plan on defoilating? The 2 front right look pretty bushy. Stalky plants can be challenging in the vert room, its easy to end up with a lot of larfy end product. Especially when you got stretchy plants mix in.

JayRyan

Update: November 4, 5 days into 12x12. Just switched to the HPS bulb and dropped the bulb into the circle, pictures taken with MH bulb still raised.

Screens are in place, and I will do some defoliation over the next few days:

ydijadoit

I like the trellis work. Pure MacGyverism at it's best. I'm gonna have to try vertical, one of these days. I don't have the balls to bare-bulb it, but a cooltube would do nicely! I'm the kind of guy that can look at an open drawer, while working on the floor, and tell myself "Don't stand up into that, you idiot." 30 seconds later, a teeth-jarring "Wham", as I slam my head into the drawer.
A 1000W bare HPS would be my undoing.
Looking good, Jay. Keep it up!
Regards

JayRyan

Sleeper7784, things are looking good. Lots of bud sites, the ChemDawg is still stretching, and covered with bud site.

ydijadoit, thanks, the trellis is working out great, I've taken to nearly crawling. My head can't take many more bangs ;)

JayRyan

I was lucky enough to meet a wonderful artist recently. She has agreed to do the photos for the rest of this grow. So, without further ado, the work of Kush Allie:

All of these were taken 21 November, 3 weeks into 12x12. Bud creation is outstanding, I definitely should have gone all Chem Dawg, but, live and learn, they all look great to me. What do you think?

Cheese:

Dawg:

OJ: