What's new

gnat problem, help appreciated

cover the top of the soil with a couple of inches of sand. This method does work

:jerkit:

i dont think they will really damage ur plants, more annoying then anything!!

:confused: :YaRight:

Nuclear weapons work.. temporarily... I hear Hiroshima was gnat free for a while.

Failing that, just find the one true god and pray.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Diatomaceous earth - you can get it for killing mites on chickens. its fossilizes diatoms and inert (but you wouldnt want to breath it in).
it gets stuck in small insects' scales etc and tears them apart

a dusting of this on the soil surface will control them nicely.it still works when it is wet. i apply iy by dipping a paintbrush in and tapping it on the lip of the pot.

one product is called ecomite and i'm sure there are many more.

V.

EddieShoestring

Florist
Veteran
i've used Gnat Off (Bti) at double the dose stated on the bottle every few waterings-and continued with it until the whole bottle was used up even after the gnats had apparently gone-

alongside this i've added neem oil to the nutes (at 5-10ml/L) a couple of times a week-

it works
cheers
eddieS

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
if you keep the top of the soil dry most of the time you will find they all but disappear.

when you buy soil make sure the soil in the bag isnt too wet as this will encourage gnats

V.

B

Buffoonman

i've used Gnat Off (Bti) at double the dose stated on the bottle every few waterings-and continued with it until the whole bottle was used up even after the gnats had apparently gone-

alongside this i've added neem oil to the nutes (at 5-10ml/L) a couple of times a week-

it works
cheers
eddieS
I agree. At first i thought Gnatoff (Gnatrol) didnt work but after upping the dose a little the plants recovered after about 4 days. Continue using it to prevent the little buggers returning.
In sufficient numbers they are more than a nuisance they can kill plants. First signs are an apparent nutrient deficiency or lockout. The new growth starts yellowing as the larvae attack the roots and stop them uptaking nutes. The plant may also wilt as if not watered.
I saved mine by taking three steps. Covered top of soil with sand added yellow sticky traps and most important watered with Gnatoff (gnatrol). This multi pronged attack will stop the worst infestation.
As somebody else mentioned beware cheap soil (such as Arthur Bowers) it can be infested with fungus gnat larvae before you even start.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i used the gnat off stuff, based on bacillus thuringiensis.

had a lot of gnats, watered with this a week or so ago and have hardly seen a gnat since.
expensive but will last a year or two and works great.

VG

p.s. a bit of orange squash in a plant saucer catches sh1t loads too.

E

e4ian

starve 'em out

starve 'em out

yeah bud ,you need to get to the 'root' of the problem.get the 'gnat off'.it stops them from feeding of the roots and so they eventually die out.

E

e4ian

ha ha orange juice!(ive just read the above post) - also whiskey/alcohol they go nuts for, put up a sticky fly trap after y'used gnat off, y'get loads then.
oh watch yourself though cus it'll get hold of u when it can. LIKE A TRIFFID :jump:

stj2006

Gnats are Baaad Man
Put another one down for Gnat Off, worked on many occasions although I have found it has to be used at a way higher dose than stated on the bottle. They say 1ml per Litre, I say 10ml per Litre.
Good Luck

Also a sticky yellow flytrap is a good preventative measure!

B

Buffoonman

Ultimately starting afresh is the best bet. Sterilise everthing including your room. Gnat Off will keep them at bay but they will keep coming back. I'd use it untill the end of the current crop and then go for a super clean out. Also soil stored outside for long periods over the warmer months is more likely to have been infested with the little blighters.

Gnats are bastards.:mad: I moved house and went hydro before I managed to get rid of them, really.

If you go with th sand option, don't use builders sand, use play/kid sand. Also, but stockings or tights over the holes at the bottom of your pot cos they get in there too. Just some stuff I learnt. :)

E

e4ian

problem for me is,my main growing field is nft- so with daily water evaporation you end up going through loads of the bloody stuff.

oh,even though my plants are treated with that trichoderma im still using gnat off-2b sure.(i dont believe it does what it says on the tin.kinda thing) ..?
ii

Scrogerman

Veteran
Microwave your soil, i know its a pain but 5 mins on full power kills bugs/cooks em anyway.(i always do it with soil coming indoor)
What about mosquito dunks? thought they were good for the larvae? Sticky traps for the flyers, but you gotta hit the larvae too. aint seen anybody mention the MosiDunks?

Last edited:
E

e4ian

on the contrary to what some are saying -i found 1ml per ltr did the trick,eeeik hope i hav'nt tempted fate..

(1ml per ltr did the trick for 3 plants grown in coir,but im sure i went over that dose with the nft-when they became infected, 2bsure..)

Last edited: