What's new

GMO Marijuana

purple_man

Veteran
high fambz!

that article (Hybrid Marijuana Plant Found in Mexico) sounds like a bunch of made up crap, similar to the "genetically modified" skunk weed rumors printed again and again, sounds like the writer has no clue about botany a hybrid has nothing to do with transgenics...

GMO weed might exist in many labs, but not on the fields or grow rooms, no necessity for it up to now, the future might look different (legalization and patents, lobbying, medical research, etc...)

blessss

TerpeneDream

Some lady at the grow store was buying all new nutes…she said that Monsanto now owns General Hydroponics (general organics)…

Just some over talk at the grow store...

Can anyone specify why GMO Cannabis would be a bad thing? I understand anything related to Modern science scares most, but even breeding guided by genetic markers would be on a whole different level then the haphazard techniques used by much of the breeding community.

Also, not asking about Monsanto. Also, not saying I agree with the practice, just generally interested to hear the other side. Using it for benign chances to help resistances and stabilize yield and quality wouldn't doesn't seem so wrong. The more publicly known uses of GMO I think have given it a bad name.

Last edited:

FireIn.TheSky

Can anyone specify why GMO Cannabis would be a bad thing? I understand anything related to Modern science scares most, but even breeding guided by genetic markers would be on a whole different level then the haphazard techniques used by much of the breeding community.

Also, not asking about Monsanto. Also, not saying I agree with the practice, just generally interested to hear the other side. Using it for benign chances to help resistances and stabilize yield and quality wouldn't doesn't seem so wrong. The more publicly known uses of GMO I think have given it a bad name.

The worst part of any kind of GMO is they slice in the DNA of chemical resistant soil bacteria to make plants completely resistant to pesticide and herbicide. Basically they can hose down fields of food crops with high doses of roundup weed killer and everything dies except for the GMO plants. So you eat, or smoke these GMO plants and intern you ingest extreme levels of toxic chemicals. As weeds and bugs become more resistant to these chemical high and higher amounts of these toxins are needed to get the desired result.

So the GMO plants are not the worst part of it, it is the chemicals they are sprayed with, birth defects, cancer etc.. most likley comes from these chemicals, because they dont wash off. Almost all conventions produce contains chemicals of all varieties.

Plain and simple, organic is the only answer.

Last edited:
But that's my question is genetic modification can be used for other purposes then pesticide resistance. Like I said, wasn't trying to refer to Monsantos round up ready gmo corn and soy. We all agree it's just a bad idea to douse plants in so much roundup then ingest them. Just because that one specific application is bad, doesn't mean every use is bad.

There are numerous other applications. If we use it for things like taking strains that will not clone and allow them to be cloned easier, Changing a slow vegging variety into a faster variety without effecting it's cannabinoid and terpene profile or other characteristics, etc, etc.

I'll ask again, If genetic modification was utilized for other outcomes other then pesticide resistance, would it really be that bad?

FireIn.TheSky

But that's my question is genetic modification can be used for other purposes then pesticide resistance. Like I said, wasn't trying to refer to Monsantos round up ready gmo corn and soy. There are numerous other application. If we use it for things like taking strains that will not clone and allow them to be cloned easier. Changing a slow vegging variety into a faster flower variety without effecting it's cannabinoid and terpene profile or other characteristics, etc, etc.

It really all depends on what they are doing to that specific plant variety. What are they modifying and for what reason and how are they going about doing it.

With corn and soy beans its for chemical resistance and built in pesticide.

With GMO salmon they have modified the fish to be more lazy and grow much fatter quicker. If you are what you eat, do you want to eat a fat lazy fish? As it is aside form GMO salmon, farm raised salmon in and of itself are listed in the top 10 cancer foods. Do you genetically modifying them to be fatter and lazier will improve that for the consumer.

The main threat is this, plants reproduce by the wind, birds, bugs, bees, etc.. if we introduce unnatural man made frankenspecies and they cross breed into our naturally bred species we can lose what has taken evolution thousands of years to create in an instant. Gone, goodbye, never to return again.

Now there is whole other dynamic to this, monsanto for instance uses genetic markers within the plants to copyright their varieties. They do inspect farms to see if their markers are present and they do sue farmers for infringement even if the plants were produced thru accidental cross pollination. Is this what we'd like to see happen to cannabis?

GMO means total control, they control the seed, they control the feed, they control the genetics, and they own government officials, once you give them control you can never get it back. We are on at the tipping point right now, there is a battle being waged on the farms and in the grocery stores. We are slaying the beast, if we ease up we are done. We today are basically deciding the future of our food.

Our usable plants are a gift from the gods, these belong to everyone, lets not give control of them to a few so they can sell these gifts back to us and let them decide their fate.

Last edited:
Thank you FireintheSky those are some very good points. I do feel that until there is an absolute need,(some kind of cannabis virus pandemic) it's probably not even necessary for anything that good breeding can't produce. However, it's hard to know the benefits without giving it chance and allowing it to be studied.

FireIn.TheSky

Everything in life boils down to risk vs reward. Is the risk worth the reward? This is the question to ask before anything.

Latest posts

Latest posts