What's new

GMO Marijuana

Herborizer

Veteran
CALI, Colombia — Greenhouses lined with genetically modified marijuana sit on a mountainside just an hour ride from Cali, Colombia, where farmers say the enhanced plants are more powerful and profitable.
One greenhouse owner said she can sell the modified marijuana for 100,000 pesos ($54) per kilo (2.2 pounds), which is nearly 10 times more than the price she can get for ordinary marijuana.
Local authorities said the arrival of genetically modified seeds, which are imported from Europe and the United States have allowed "a bigger production and better quality at the same time".
A police commander in the Cauca region where Cali is located, Carlos Rodriguez, said one of the modified varieties goes by the name, "Creepy".
Another seed modified in The Netherlands is fetching a good price in the area, said a foreign researcher, who asked to remain anonymous. That version, well-known in Europe as "La Cominera", is named for the Colombian village where it grows.
"La Cominera's" higher value is due to its increased concentration of THC, the plant's principal active ingredient, and the modified plant verges on an 18 percent concentration level, compared to a normal marijuana plant's two to seven percent, said the researcher.
Despite the fact that marijuana production is illegal in Colombia, farmers say they continue to sell both traditional and modified marijuana because of economic advantages. One resident who spoke on the condition of anonymity said he can sell 11 kilograms of marijuana for 160,000 Colombian pesos ($87).
In the greenhouses outside of Cali, in a secret location accessible only by foot, it is easy to recognize the famous plant with star-shaped leaves, where it grows amid other legal crops.
"I don't like growing marijuana, but it ended up that way," one farmer said. "I received a loan to grow coffee, but I was drowning and I had to sell my harvest very cheap. My sister told me it would be better to plant marijuana."
Marijuana was first introduced to the country in the 1930s and residents of Cali said that for economic reasons, they have never stopped cultivating the plant since.
They added they cannot sustain themselves on coffee and banana crops alone, because prices fluctuate widely and it is difficult to reach markets in time to sell the perishable items before they spoil, due to a poor road network.
The hemp plant was originally legally used in the production of textiles and soccer balls until 1962, when authorities banned the use of marijauana in those products in order to comply with international standards.
According to botanist Luis Miguel Alvarez, a teacher at the University of Caldas in Manizales and the author of several marijuana studies, after marijuana is grown and dried, it can endure long periods without spoiling, which is a strong economic advantage.
Police commander Rodriguez said the crop's growth poses a problem for local law enforcement, because profits are often used to finance other criminal activity.
"We believe that the sixth front of the FARC guerrilla forces are 90 percent financed by marijuana," he said. The Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia is Latin America's largest and longest-fighting insurgency with 47 years of armed struggle and 8,000 fighters.
Marijuana production and sales are growing in Colombia, which was also the world's biggest producer of cocaine in 2009, according to available statistics, he said.
"This year we have already seized 27 tons (of marijuana by June), compared to 23 tons last year. It is troubling that the resources of armed groups are growing and because of this they can acquire arms and explosives," Rodriguez said.
Nationwide, authorities say they have seized 41.8 tons of marijuana to date in 2011, compared to a total of 228 tons in 2010.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/af...ocId=CNG.d42e890cd053a294227456aeaecba71e.6b1

G

guest86120975

Are you sure these Columbians aren't just delusional when they're calling the plants GMO? Seems like a convenient scare tactic to slap on to strains which were bred by crossing land race strains until you have something real nice

M

Milhouse

I am thinking bogus as well, I googled the "La Cominera" and a few pics of buds popped up. If that is truly it, then it doesnt look like anything special. I would think if someone was producing GMO seeds for sale, forums like this would be prime places to advertise or post pics.

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm very skeptical about this article/author's use of the term GMO, along with the rest of you. Zero specifics offered to justify the use of the term, and it sounds like they are just importing seed from the Netherlands.

That said, it is definitely possible. These Colombian narco-gangs or whatever already have experience with genetically modified crops, as they have been doing it to coca plants for some time now to give them resistance to the herbicides sprayed by the government.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.11/columbia.html

There's an article about it from 2004... Seems plausible that the scientists they paid to modify the coca plant could have next been put to work on cannabis.

master shake

who is selling these seeds? i want some genetically modified cannabis seeds

www.seedboutique.com

GMO is all bad in my opinion.

Technically most modern cannabis is genetically modified. Any cross or IBL or anything other than a landrace has been modified from it's original form.

Selective breeding is a form of genetic modification, very simple and primitive. It is clear this article is a propaganda tool to scare people of "super" weed. All fruit and veggies we eat are bigger and more stable than crops of 1000 years ago.

Dr_Tre

Technically most modern cannabis is genetically modified. Any cross or IBL or anything other than a landrace has been modified from it's original form.

Selective breeding is a form of genetic modification, very simple and primitive. It is clear this article is a propaganda tool to scare people of "super" weed. All fruit and veggies we eat are bigger and more stable than crops of 1000 years ago.

Totally wrong.You can selectively breed as long as you want, but you will never get a fish gene in a plant.

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
if GMO is only producing 18% whats the point?

not that i believe this is actual GMO anything.

but if one were to make GMO wouldn't you do something ASTOUNDING like 33%?

I

Iron_Lion

I think this is a case where a term "GMO" might be used out of context.

GMO could me like "specially bred" as opposed to landrace cultivar. Like it is a strain that was selectively bred in the Dam for high yields and outdoor growth.

Not necessarily "GMO" as we know it in the US like Monsanto Round Up Ready Soy beans which have been spliced with the DNA of soil bacteria resistant to pesticides.

I dunno I just get the vibe something is lost in translation here or this article is cunningly written to scare people.

whodare

Veteran
Any cross or IBL or anything other than a landrace has been modified from it's original form.Technically most modern cannabis is genetically modified.

selective breeding is selective breeding

genetically modified, means they alter the dna of a the host with alien dna.

for example BT crop have dna from a bacteria, spliced into their dna, that causes them to produce the BT toxin...

C

CascadeFarmer

I'm very skeptical about this article/author's use of the term GMO, along with the rest of you. Zero specifics offered to justify the use of the term, and it sounds like they are just importing seed from the Netherlands.
Yeah basically that. They're just using the term GMO, IMO, for more pop to the news story. Makes the weed sound 'super'. This keeps up though in places like Columbia and Mexico and you can forget about finding landrace strains in their native areas.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
if GMO is only producing 18% whats the point?

not that i believe this is actual GMO anything.

but if one were to make GMO wouldn't you do something ASTOUNDING like 33%?
^^^Hell Yeah!

...genetically modified to yeild the same THC content as unmodified hybrids? just don't gel.

not that i don't think they have some gm seed prepped and ready since they have the money it takes to invest in genetic modification, but why just match naturally occurring levels of cannabinoids?

snopes?