What's new

Getting ready for 1st Vertical grow

O

OG Tree Grower

You only need to veg vertical if your growing 2 pound trees 6 feet tall, or filling those doughnut screens. If you chose to veg horizontal just make sure your plants are spaced out and getting enough light to branch out and grow naturally

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I start my plants horizontal but move to vert vegging. I do this to fill in the lower part of my plants. I grow 6 to 7 foot plants and the bottoms just dont get enough light and die back when vegged horizontally.

Gr8 show Gr866. I am learning a helluvalot. Gr8 questions, and even Gr8er responses.

I'm all in with what Fred said some posts back about stayin off the additives. I'm on my first serious run in years. After lurking around, I'm going with Jack's & CalNit. Will add the SM-90 since Fred says he does (thanks DHF!). Wondering about Protekt and if I should add it also. S'posed to be a source of silica and most folks run it. Last thing is Drip Clean since I'm running either drippers or blumats (have both but haven't decided).

Long ago I was running Supernatural powdered salts. I liked the stuff but never had a decent enough setup to get a good pull. Back then I remember Rhizotonic was all the rage. I think I used it as ph Up. I recall really liking how it helped the roots grow strong, but it honestly could have been anything I was doing. I was waaayyyy too busy to be growing weed back then.

I'll be watching very closely and keeping notes. I soaked 88 beans yesterday and they are going in Root Riots in about 4 hours. A few of those lines are going to be run vertically, so the question/comment about "vegging for vertical" is timely.

Y'all have some awesome trellises going on too. I'm glad I'm comfy working with pvc.

Enough rambling. Time to update my own journal.

Keep this thread up Gr8. I'm sub'd.

LH

Last edited:

gr866

Veteran
Gr8 show Gr866. I am learning a helluvalot. Gr8 questions, and even Gr8er responses.

I'm all in with what Fred said some posts back about stayin off the additives. I'm on my first serious run in years. After lurking around, I'm going with Jack's & CalNit. Will add the SM-90 since Fred says he does (thanks DHF!). Wondering about Protekt and if I should add it also. S'posed to be a source of silica and most folks run it. Last thing is Drip Clean since I'm running either drippers or blumats (have both but haven't decided).

Long ago I was running Supernatural powdered salts. I liked the stuff but never had a decent enough setup to get a good pull. Back then I remember Rhizotonic was all the rage. I think I used it as ph Up. I recall really liking how it helped the roots grow strong, but it honestly could have been anything I was doing. I was waaayyyy too busy to be growing weed back then.

I'll be watching very closely and keeping notes. I soaked 88 beans yesterday and they are going in Root Riots in about 4 hours. A few of those lines are going to be run vertically, so the question/comment about "vegging for vertical" is timely.

Y'all have some awesome trellises going on too. I'm glad I'm comfy working with pvc.

Enough rambling. Time to update my own journal.

Keep this thread up Gr8. I'm sub'd.

LH

LH, Thanks for stopping by and look forward to what ever advice you may lend.
I have redone all screens and added one trellis, the pvc coating on the wire I had on the trellis's after painting would not dry, even after a month, so when I was picking up a wire order the other day I found some scrap wire they had discarded so I ask and they let me have a sheet of it. It was plenty to redo my trellis. 2x2" stainless 16 guage, going to work out fine.
With this setup of four screens I have appox. 24" between the screens, hope this is enough.

I do have a concern with the front and back screens, there is no room for movement it needed during the grow, the two on each side have plenty of room to move. Any thoughts or suggestions.

Don't mind the dirty floor, my cabinet is number 1 priority this week, fresh coat of paint inside and out, plus going to coat the lower portion of the cabinet with a rubberized paint. Will also be cleaning all the Mylar in the cabinet also.

IC
"I start my plants horizontal but move to vert vegging. I do this to fill in the lower part of my plants. I grow 6 to 7 foot plants and the bottoms just don't get enough light and die back when vegged horizontally."
Thanks for the info, my plan, if I carry it through, is to veg with my LED, it is a good one and veg very nicely. I will use this till they are about 1 to 1.5 feet tall then switch to vert. Since I will not be attaching them to the screen right away I will be able to turn the plants daily to get light to all parts of the plants. Or, should I eave them in one spot to get the branches growing toward the light for tying to the screens?
I do not plan on growing trees so I am hoping this will suffice.

Thanks to all for the helpful info.

GR

Last edited:

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
If you cant move the back screen but can move the front screens then move the light. After you move the light move the front screens as well.

LH, Thanks for stopping by and look forward to what ever advice you may lend.
I have redone all screens and added one trellis, the pvc coating on the wire I had on the trellis's after painting would not dry, even after a month, so when I was picking up a wire order the other day I found some scrap wire they had discarded so I ask and they let me have a sheet of it.

Helluva score man. Stainless? For reals? Nice!

So I was gonna circle 6 or 7 plants around a 600, 1000, or stacked 600/400. Inside dimensions of the tray... 48" x 48". How much space should I allow between edge of bulb and canopy for each? I want to plan this out right. Better yet...

I know plemty of folks must be using 4x4's... how many plants y'alls runnin? I'm starting mine from seed and have to veg for at least 30 days. A "good thang" if trying to fill the screen... yeah? :thank you:

LH

gr866

Veteran
If you cant move the back screen but can move the front screens then move the light. After you move the light move the front screens as well.

The only screens that allow any movement away from the light are the two side screens.
The front and back screens have a max distance from the light to the screen of 12".

One thing I can do is run three plants, that would allow me the freedom to move the screens and the light but would leave some dead space. Since I will be running either a 400W HPS or a 315 cmh I am hoping that 12" is enough. I may change my exhaust fan from a four inch to a 6 inch to help keeping the cabinet cooler.
GR

Hey Gr8. Are you setting up your screens so they "move with the pot"? I'm going to prototype a screen today. I'll never get to 6-7 feet though. My tent is like 7 feet tall, and I have a 4x4 tray about a foot off the floor. I don't think my girls should get more than about 5 feet tall.

I'm running from seed. Been schooled to not do any topping from seed so I can see how the plant wants to grow "naturally". We'll see if I can hold out. Main thing is to avoid letting them stretch for the light "from birth". Get em under some BIG LIGHT whilst young, be it vert or horizontal.

I'll keep ya's posted on how it goes.

LH

gr866

Veteran
Hey Gr8. Are you setting up your screens so they "move with the pot"? I'm going to prototype a screen today. I'll never get to 6-7 feet though. My tent is like 7 feet tall, and I have a 4x4 tray about a foot off the floor. I don't think my girls should get more than about 5 feet tall.

I'm running from seed. Been schooled to not do any topping from seed so I can see how the plant wants to grow "naturally". We'll see if I can hold out. Main thing is to avoid letting them stretch for the light "from birth". Get em under some BIG LIGHT whilst young, be it vert or horizontal.

I'll keep ya's posted on how it goes.

LH

Yeah LH, they will be able to be moved with the screen. I am going to make a minor change to them. The base where the plant sits has too big of a foot print so I am redoing the base to allow me to move the plants around in the cabinet. My screen is only 18x40", so from the base to the top of the screen is 52". Will post a pic this afternoon.
I too will be running from seed. So any info you can share would help.

Not sure now when I will pop the beans, I need to be away in mid Sept to early Oct and my son who would normally tend them for me is flaking on me. Wish I could find another grower in my area that I could get a hand from. But I live in a state where they have very tough cannabis laws so it is hard to reach out.

GR

gr866

Veteran
Couple of pics of the base for the screens.
This give me a bit more room to adjust the plants.
It looks a bit unstable as it sits here but with a 2 to 3 gallon smart pot on it, it will be fine. elbow at the front will be for some form of handle.

I know I have not cleaned the base of the cabinet yet, need to pick up some form of water proof paint. Any ideas?

GR

Speed of green

a few coats of killz should sort you out. pond liner is cheap too.

I used a silicone based "paint" it is used for roof repair.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Henry-0-...te-Silicone-Roof-Coating-HE887HS142/206029976

It will waterproof rough plywood with large cracks, and its a nice white color.

If you go this route i would paint your coats on, and then leave it out in the sun for a couple weeks because it has a strong smell at first.

Also a little goes a long way, i bought a 5 gallon bucked and did (4) 4x8 trays and i have probably 2.5 gallons left.

gr866

Veteran
LH,
My son don't smoke, gives him anxity. Now his wife smokes like a locomotive. LOL

Speed,

That shit is expensive, please send me your leftovers.

Thanks guys,

GR

gr866

Veteran
Received a package from a friend yesterday, he had just gotten back from CO. and sent me these.
Mujica Suave

A pre-rolled, he spends a $50 and get one of these for a buck. Normally $10 to $15 each. Broke it down into 3 nice size joints.
Pineapple Kush

Life is good today!
GR

gr866

Veteran
Ok, getting close now.
6 of 8 beans have broke the surface of the coco solo's, other two I expect to do the same today. 4 of each, Blue Cheese and Critical Kush, I will use the best 5 for my vertical grow and maybe plant the others in the yard or give them away. :thinking:
Modifications to my screens and ready to pick up my 4x4 Gorilla GGT Lite Tuesday, along with a new Eye Hortilux Super 400W HPS and a new vertical cord. Got the 2 gallon Smart Pots filled with straight Canna Coco and awaiting the replant from the Solo cups.
Ordered my Blumats yesterday, have nutes on hand, will be building my rez and setting them up early next week.
Want to veg and minimum of weeks, would prefer 8 weeks, just got to watch my timing. 8 weeks would put me somewhere into late August or early Sept to begin 12/12. I will be leaving for about 3 weeks in mid Sept and have a long time friend coming to house and plant sit while we are gone. She has some grow experience but am having her come in mid veg to begin training and then about a week before we leave she will be here for more training. I hope to have it tied back by then and ready for her, hopefully she will just have to keep the rez full.
It would be nice if I can go 6 weeks so I could start 12/12 around the middle of Aug. and be about 4 weeks into flower so I can get the stretch completed. I will be taking clones during veg for spring harvest. I will also be adding an 5,000 btu A/C in the room where I will be pulling the ventilation from.
I do have a question on ventilation, since I will have a fan blowing up to the light will I need any other fans blowing on the plants? Also, is it best to put some reflective material behind the screens?
Guess that's all I got for now.
GR

gr866

Veteran
Well I designed my Blumat layout, ordered the parts and got them today. Also picked up my tent, light, vertical cord, fan speed controller and got some 4" ducting. Four hours later, I have my closet disassembled and the tent installed.
Getting room ready, got to remove that shelf.

Got that done and lined the floor with plastic.

Getting the tent ready

Putting it all together, one person, should be a two person job. But damn Gorilla tape works great.

Ok, lets get this done

More in next post!

GR

gr866

Veteran
Ok to finish last post!

Let's see how the screens fit. Oh yea!

More screen shots

A look inside

Damn near filled my closet

A look thru one of the two windows

GR

gr866

Veteran
Wow, just reviewed the start of the thread and man has there been many changes in the plans.
No more cabinet, built screens twice to get them where I want them, gone to a tent, got new light and other shit, beans popped and growing in red solo's.
Should I grow in the solo's till good root system then plant into one gallon pots or just go from solo's to my final pot size of 2 gallon smart pots?
GR

Speed of green

Fuck yeah dude! Looks solid, it's probably going to be fun getting to those back screens with the lights on haha.

Don't burn yourself

Honestly I've never grown in coco but I think the root system should be established before you transplant.