What's new

Getting ready for 1st Vertical grow

gr866

Veteran
I don't understand the question ? Lol

When you keep weed in the freezer and it's vaccume sealed its important to let it go to room temp before opening the jar, that's key to keeping the moisture in.

That's good to know about keeping it in the freezer.

The question is about Watts/sq ft, in a horizontal grow I get about 25W/sq ft, so I am wondering how that is calculated for vertical.

I will harvest the rest of the plants Tuesday and Wed. of this next week. They have really picked up the fragrance in the last few weeks.

GR

slipdefeu

hey!

you've got nice results, good job, maybe too green at the end for my pref ;)

I started a thread in vertical section but it was a bad session, i had no time to accord to the grow and it was a multiple stress session, not so bad but my place is definitely too small to do it right :biggrin:
I take a place ;)

gr866

Veteran
hey!

you've got nice results, good job, maybe too green at the end for my pref ;)

I started a thread in vertical section but it was a bad session, i had no time to accord to the grow and it was a multiple stress session, not so bad but my place is definitely too small to do it right :biggrin:
I take a place ;)

Yep too green for my taste also, but had all sorts of shit happen during this grow, and really have not figured it out yet.
Will harvest all this week and get ready to start again.
GR

O

OG Tree Grower

Dunno about the whole watts per square feet thing, it never made sense to me. We grow in meters cubed really and different things effect your lighting more than watts per square foot, like canopy depth and your light overlap, but most people use the floor space as your measurement and figure it out that way so your at 25 watts per square foot, 50 is optimal ish

Globule

Hey gr866 and nice work getting yourself to harvest! :tiphat:

I can empathise with you about how disappointing it can be when things don't go to plan with your grow but you've got a great attitude towards growing and this is all good learning stuff.

Hope you enjoy your buds and all of your trimming too... hehe :biggrin:

LostTribe

Premium user
I like the initial setup and want to point out that you can also use 3 sticks of boo made ito an H with Zip ties and just keep retying and spreading the plants apart horizontally. Less bulky and still mobile....

Mr. Miyagi

That's good to know about keeping it in the freezer.

The question is about Watts/sq ft, in a horizontal grow I get about 25W/sq ft, so I am wondering how that is calculated for vertical.

I will harvest the rest of the plants Tuesday and Wed. of this next week. They have really picked up the fragrance in the last few weeks.

GR

It's calculated very similarly, each wall is squared and divided. the benefits to vert over horizontal is the fact the you have 3 or 4 walls (depending on setup) vs just the floor footprint, maximizing light efficiency.

Also... I've got one of those jar attachments for my vac sealer and for the life of me, can't figure out how to use it lol...any pointers?:thank you:

gr866

Veteran
I like the initial setup and want to point out that you can also use 3 sticks of boo made ito an H with Zip ties and just keep retying and spreading the plants apart horizontally. Less bulky and still mobile....

Sorry but I am not able to picture that, could you message me with a drawing.

GR

gr866

Veteran
It's calculated very similarly, each wall is squared and divided. the benefits to vert over horizontal is the fact the you have 3 or 4 walls (depending on setup) vs just the floor footprint, maximizing light efficiency.

Also... I've got one of those jar attachments for my vac sealer and for the life of me, can't figure out how to use it lol...any pointers?:thank you:

The jar attachment works well, but you have to be careful taking it off the jar once it is sealed or you will lose the seal.

Notice how she put them on the jar and removes it, with a twisting motion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsUl8WJ9ztI

GR

O

OG Tree Grower

Sorry but I am not able to picture that, could you message me with a drawing.

GR

I think he means like this , this is how I do single vert. 5-6 plants around a 1000w, just LST the branches to the bamboo stakes ,it's a much faster veg time if you let them grow naturally

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 36

gr866

Veteran
I think he means like this , this is how I do single vert. 5-6 plants around a 1000w, just LST the branches to the bamboo stakes ,it's a much faster veg time if you let them grow naturally

I can see what he means but I do not see it being any less bulky, the vertical stand with the screen weights less that 7 lbs.

And please explain what you mean by ",it's a much faster veg time if you let them grow naturally". I do not start tying them to the screens till near the 4 week mark.

There is still so much I don't know about vertical growing. Pruning and defoliating are two areas I need a lot more help on.

GR

O

OG Tree Grower

I thought you were topping and training the plants in veg to fill the screens , if your letting it go naturally till week 4 then ignore that comment

Mr. Miyagi

I can see what he means but I do not see it being any less bulky, the vertical stand with the screen weights less that 7 lbs.

And please explain what you mean by ",it's a much faster veg time if you let them grow naturally". I do not start tying them to the screens till near the 4 week mark.

There is still so much I don't know about vertical growing. Pruning and defoliating are two areas I need a lot more help on.

GR

Don't over think it... you can do basically 1 of 2 things.

1. Naturally...meaning to just let the plant grow vertically on its own, and weave the branches in and out of the netting, or clip on (however)

OR

2. Pinch/prune the plant to fill out the screen completely. This way DOES add a lil more time to your veg cycle because everytime you stress the plant, it slows growth to heal itself. This DOES add a lil to veg time, but the outcome is usually SUBSTANTIALLY noticed.

Great yields can be done either way... Almost all my verts have been coliseum style, (2 levels) of plants, and just let the grow... bamboo to help support the weight of big colas, but not any real "training" so to speak. 2 grows (perpetual) I DID actually use a trellis, and partially weaved the branches in and out of the trellis...wasn't bad...but made harvesting a pain in the ass...

Easiest for me so far regarding vert is to veg horizontal for about 3 weeks [(rooted clones), but also depends heavily on strain and growth structure.]
Put into vertical flower room.. as the plant is going through it's stretching, either put up a trellis for skeletal support, or spread open and tie branches to bamboo stakes. Easy peezy! Esp the bamboo stakes, makes harvesting MUCH easier vs cutting away/out bud from a trellis or net.

Hope this sheds some light...:tiphat:

gr866

Veteran
Day 70 of 12/12 Harvest day!

I harvested BC1 last week, my mutant plant, it went into a jar today, 30 g's, and I don't think it's going to be that good either.

So today I harvested the other four ladies, BC2 & 3 and CK1 & 2. Did more trimming than I normally do for the 1st hang, also hung them as full plant instead of stems or nuggets. First time doing that also.
BC2 before and after

Wanted to show the back of the screen on BC2

To Be Continued

gr866

Veteran
BC3 Before and after

Took a break and smoked a bowl of Headband, forgot to take a before pic of CK1 so here is after

To be continues

gr866

Veteran
Nice!

Mmm...I wanna grow some Headband one day

Yea me too, just got to find the right one. wish I was in a state where I could buy clones, or wish I could find a way to ship them here.
First taste of the Critical Kush this morning, put everything in jars today with the Boveda packs. Now I will be burping at least daily for the next weeks and then just as needed.

The CK had little taste, nice fragrance although still a smells and taste a bit green. Curing should solve that. Got a very good buz on the first chillum, good and stoned on the second. Again I expect the cure will help everything.

GR
:smokeit:

gr866

Veteran
Weight report 9.75 zips, in jars and curing.

Not as bad as I thought but not as good as I expected.