What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

getting "higher" through different methods

kodman111

The coughing part although not always enjoyable, seems to get me higher in a sence. It's probably the lack of oxygen to my brain LOL.

H

h^2 O

i don't know man my RooR packed with ice gets me high as shit every time - 3 hits and I'm good for antoher hour

Ipsissimus

when people clear bongs they take massive rips, perhaps forcing smoke to areas of the lungs perhaps not used when smoking a doob.

when I smoke bowls I try not to touch the buds with the flame at first, vaping it with the heat. best way to enjoy a green hit too imo. I'm still waiting for someone to come up with a lighter sized battery powered mini heat gun!

i've read joints are more efficient than bowls, but I find I get higher from smoking four bowls to the head than one joint with the same amount of herb. maybe spacing out gives your lungs more time to recover? i think i've noticed having a lot of mucous in my lungs makes the rips less potent -- maybe the mucous gets in the way?

TheGreenBastard

Assistant Weekend Trailer Park Superviser
Veteran
Take this with a grain of salt because it was stuff I learned in a uni....

We only can absorb about 20 percent of the THC when we smoke, which makes it so the gas-mask/bong combo would get you highest because you are continuously "recycling" the smoke that we didn't get the first time (remember how high you get when you're hotboxing?)

Receptors in your lungs, once triggered by us smoking, do not need prolonged exposure to get a prolonged effect. This means that supposedly we don't need to hold in smoke forever unless you want to choke yourself out and have a coughing fit (which some people like when smoking). It also mean that the bigger the steamroller, bong, etc. the bigger the effect. This also reinforces something that I know in my own opinion, which is that home-made gravity bongs get me higher then anything else I have tried when smoking or vaping. That's because the gravity bong forces the smoke to all of your lungs (more then you would be able to get under your own breath), potentially getting all of the receptors in your lungs.

As for edibles, I've had different experiences.... I agree with those who say that stuff they get from dispensaries are weak and have no effect on me except getting me a bit tired. I know most places make canna-butter then use that to make the brownies or other baked goods. I have had home-made brownies that gave me visuals by dumping shake and bud in brownies and cooking it straight into the brownies and while the occasional piece I had to pick out of my teeth was annoying, the effects were the strongest I have ever had using cannabis in any form.

First off, the receptors you are talking about are called alveoli, they are small sacks that take the gasses that are brought into your lungs and turns them into something your blood stream can use. When you inhale they are taking all the chemicals from the smoke and putting it in your blood stream. That is one of the reasons why when you breath out there is less visible smoke. So if you are to hold in that smoke until you see nothing come out then your lungs will have absorbed most of it. Though when you release any amount smoke from your lungs their are a very little amount of cannabinoids left, the rest is pretty much just plant material. So yes there are benefit from holding it in, though not as much as you would think (5 to 10 seconds is usually enough). To test this hold your breath right now until you are struggling for air, then take a breath and see how long it takes for you to replenish that oxygen (are able to breath normally). This will show you how fast your alveoli work, which you will realize is pretty fast.

Secondly, the less oxygen you have the harder your lungs are gonna work, that's one of the reasons that you get so high hotboxing or using gasmasks.

Lastly, your lungs are designed to have the gasses become exposed to most if not all of alveoli. So the only real difference is the volume of smoke and the lack of oxygen when you take big hits.

when people clear bongs they take massive rips, perhaps forcing smoke to areas of the lungs perhaps not used when smoking a doob.

when I smoke bowls I try not to touch the buds with the flame at first, vaping it with the heat. best way to enjoy a green hit too imo. I'm still waiting for someone to come up with a lighter sized battery powered mini heat gun!

i've read joints are more efficient than bowls, but I find I get higher from smoking four bowls to the head than one joint with the same amount of herb. maybe spacing out gives your lungs more time to recover? i think i've noticed having a lot of mucous in my lungs makes the rips less potent -- maybe the mucous gets in the way?

That's good that you try to heat it up first, that's what I do and it works great. First it gives you the THC then when the lighter does touch it you start to get your CBD's.

The reason you get higher off a bowl than a joint is the fact that even if your smoking the same amount of bud, your getting more from the bowl. Thats because the cherry is constantly burning and destroying a lot of your bud and letting that precious smoke escape into the air.

Ipsissimus

TGB - ever notice how the smoke from the end of the joint burns your eyes, and tastes awful if you try to inhale it? A lot of the smoke is from the paper imo. Also, a lot of people say joints get you the highest because the cherry vaporizes the weed behind it, the whole way down the doob. This hasn't been my experience, but it is an interesting point of view.

I was also wondering why you believe vaporizers only vaporize THC?

cheeseman - thanks for the link, it looks cool, but you gotta plug it in! IMO a good design would use butane, but separate the flame from the heating element. I've seen some butane "vaporizors", but it's really just concentrated high velocity flame.

phedor_hybrid_vaporizer_3.jpg

ourcee

yeah that was awesome and I was like, well fuckit if I can keep from breaking it I might drop the 150.

then I realized it would have to be plugged in,

might as well get a hakko?

TheGreenBastard

Veteran
I was also wondering why you believe vaporizers only vaporize THC?

THC has a lower boiling point than the other cannabinoids, a vaporizer is designed to heat the weed to that temperature. Anything above that and it will be destroyed. So if you wanted to vaporize CBD's you would end up destroying all your THC.

BTW the boiling point of THC is 392F, in case you were wondering

T

Truthman

It is interesting, actually.

I used to have a friend that swore up and down (and I tend to agree with him) that if you are smoking a sativa dominant strain, and you really want that palm sweaty racy edge, take 500mg of Vitamin C about 30 min before sitting down to toke.

Every time I have done this, even though I tend to not enjoy sativa smokes for medical reasons....it does in fact REALLY increase the feeling of the buzz. Makes it VERY uncomfortable for me....very racy, very paranoid, very heart thumping....not sure why.

NOW, take it with a grain of salt, because I have said this to others before, and they scoffed at the idea. All I can say, is try it yourself, and see what you discover. It may be only certain people that are affected by this, or it may just be power of suggestion...who really knows...

dank.Frank

The reason is because vitamin C is very dense in the brain and provides energy or should I say prevent it from becoming less efficient due to free radicals slowing it down from the vitamin C being an antioxidant.

It also gets other neurotransmitters going so if you smoke a strong sativa smoke it in the morning or when the sun is out because sunlight helps the body release serotonin which relieves the anxiety and paranoia.

Take 5-htp with the vitamin C along with vitamin B6, go outside for the 30 minutes before you puff and you should get a nice mental high without the negative effects. If you really want to negate negative effects from potent sativas do what I stated plus eat two ripe bananas. You will get the relaxed effect but still have the head high. You should eat some bananas everyday anyway to help keep you relaxed daily as far as not being anxious easily.

If smoking an indica dominant or 50/50, vitamin C will help you from getting too lazy or the negative effects from cannabis but even if you smoke it dim light or at night without moving around you will still get lazy and what to just sit around or go to sleep. Peace.

Leviathan

raw organic cacao nibs ,, its chocolate that unheated or processed, yeah its a little bitter but nothing like bakers chocolate. contains anandamide, ananda is sanskrit for bliss so its the bliss chemical, raw cacao compared to cooked is completely differant animal, dark chocolate has more antioxidents then any food we as people have studied, what im saying is that this stuff is like speed, it will keep u awake all night with just the littlest bit too much of it, that mixed with bliss can be nice, who doesnt like cacao?

AllStar

I smoke way to often and find that smoking in the dark helps me pinpoint taste and high when testing new strains. And i was looking into buying one of those phedors but wanted it portable as well. So i bought a battery powered soldering iron from radio shack for $15 it works great, batteries die quick though

Ipsissimus

TGB, I've found more recent articles cite 311-314.6F. Wikipedia has something else, I forget. Check out my safe cooking temperature thread, we had a good discussion about the whole thing. 375 might be a perfect setting on a vaporizer for THC tho.

holy shit, how awesome is this:

"One principle to understand is that the amount of cannabinoids actually absorbed are dependent on several variables. One of those is the concentration of cannabinoids and another factor, proposed here is internal pressure of the lungs.

Generally, the higher the cannabinoid content of a single vapor cloud inhaled, the more cannabinoids will be absorbed. At some point no additional absorbtion will occur with increased concentration and this surplus is wasted upon exhale. Vaporizors can gain big advantages in efficieny by delivering optimized mixtures of air and vapor. You as a cannabis scientist can work on this problem.

Like concentration working as a driving force that aids cannabinoid absorption, it is proposed that the increased internal pressure of the lungs that results from holding one's breath is an additional driving force that helps [THC] absorption. In chemistry, thermodynamics, physiology and cell biology there is a recurring and important theme that heat, pressure and concentration are the driving forces behind systems - think equilibrium & entropy.

Take for example the carbonation of water or cola. The liquid is placed into a tank and sealed. CO2 gas is added until the system is under ~high pressure and the CO2 gas is forced to dissolve into the liquid. If the pressure of gas is increased, the cola will be over-carbonated as the higher pressure results in the liquid taking on even more CO2.

Similarly, the lungs absorb oxygen better at sea level because the pressure of oxygen is more than on a mountain top. The lungs also facilitate absorption of cannabinoid vapor (mixed gases) into the blood. In the case of hardcore mountaineers like Ed Viesters or Steve House, breathing forcefully through pursed lips to create resistance (pressure) helps 'drive' the oxygen absorption of the lungs.

All of this 'driving-force' talk is based on a basic concept called LeChatlier's Principle. In basic terms it says that systems prefer to be at equilibrium, with things steady and balanced. When the equilibrium is disturbed by an external force, the system will attempt to restore equilibrium, the lowest energy state. "

Perhaps after you take a big rip and inhale, pushing out increasing air pressure in your lungs could drive more goods in! edit - you kind of push w/ your stomach muscles. i'm giving it a shot, but I'm already ripped as shit...how would you know???

TheGreenBastard

Veteran
Those are not the boiling points of THC, they are lower temps that vaporize it with out destroying it. If you were to flash heat THC to 392 most of the time it will be completely destroyed. Think of it this way,when water is at its boiling point ~100c it can be a liquid or a gas, as for its freezing point ~0c it can be a liquid or a solid. It's a fine line that these chemicals walk that determine if it is going to be in one state or another. These are subject to change based on barometric pressure, as well as purity, hence the reason the temperatures you listed (311F-314F and 375F) will work for vaporizing said chemical.

lmv931

just my 2 :2cents:.....

do you cough after you take a hit? Coughing opens up the capalarys and allows you to get higher....I suggest taking a large hit hold it for a few seconds then cough you're brains out......
icon7.gif

if that doesn't work maybe you're meds are not real high quality......

TheGreenBastard

Veteran
I really don't cough regardless of what I smoke, It's always been a gift I guess. I watch my friends take normal sized hits off some of the best weed we've ever smoked and they will cough there asses off. Though, I will take a monster hit and hold it in for up to 30 sec. and won't cough at all. I can induce coughing if I try but I'd rather just smoke it and get high than cough my lungs up.

alaskan

just my 2 :2cents:.....
...I suggest taking a large hit hold it for a few seconds then cough you're brains out......
icon7.gif

I really don't cough regardless of what I smoke, It's always been a gift I guess. I watch my friends take normal sized hits off some of the best weed we've ever smoked and they will cough there asses off. Though, I will take a monster hit and hold it in for up to 30 sec. and won't cough at all. I can induce coughing if I try but I'd rather just smoke it and get high than cough my lungs up.

I think it's more about how you burn it/how fast you inhale it to get a real gag that affects the high. Fake coughing just isn't the same.

TheGreenBastard

Veteran
I think a lot of it has to do with how well its cured as well, because chlorophyll is so harsh it can easily make you cough. If you notice you don't cough with vaporizers because there is no plant material being burned I.E. chlorophyll and chemicals that do not get you high.