What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

get your tuna back

Betterhaff

Veteran
What was the catchphrase..."Sorry Charlie"? Evidently StarKist didn't want you to have as much.

[youtubeif]_pJw3N4KmMQ[/youtubeif]
[youtubeif]Rk0xqDcHu04[/youtubeif]

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
... tuna was huge here once,,, now its tame compared..still got a decent fleet tho... tilapia is raised in the usa too, my friend does it in ponds in florida...most ocean fish are contaminated in some way or another nowadays .. I grew up eating smelt too ,,,,trout gets lots of sardines and anchovies are everywhere here in huge bait balls.....reminds me got to do some serious fishing lures,lines ,wire,,, shopping online .. the hammerheads are showing up here in la jolla..just have to hook one again..haven't caught one since I lived in florida long ago...I will let it tow me around a bit then cut wire leader when I get it close,,...oooh ya yeehaw

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
thanks for the heads up, trout. Wondered why I was still hungry after eating cans of tuna. They've been pinching my sac! Wtf!

....now we just need a class action suit that lands us all 50 bucks worth of free canna seeds!!

Given the number of people that could qualify for a class action suit of this nature you'd likely end up with a dollar or less for each claimant While the lawyers pocket millions. People will get far more the way the company is handling it.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
I don't wanna slander Starkist tuna, because I really don't know. This is more a question. But I thought I read somewhere that canned tuna had unusually high levels of mercury. Is that true?

A couple weeks ago I bought some tilapia fillets at a military commissary on a US government installation. I was totally unfamiliar with that fish so I googled it when I got home. It turns out those fish are farm raised in China where they can be fed GMOs, antibiotics, and are literally fed shit. The Chinese don't even feed those fish to there own people either. I was really shocked that they are allowed to sell that shit on US government installations, no less. I mean, I would expect that from Walmart, but not on a US government ruled store. Not run by the government, but they make the rules there.

Then I noticed they sell grapes from Peru and orange juice from Brazil, and I don't know what else from where. Then they turn around and say they support the American farmer? Absolute, total, horse-shit. And these countries they buy food from are allowed to use pesticides and fertilizers banned by our government? What bullshit.

That really doesn't surprise me about the FDA though. Those assholes still allow the food companies to put in non-food additives, chemicals, hydrogenated oils, high fructose corn syrup, and whatever in our food. Even after study after study has shown that shit is bad for human consumption. It doesn't matter. Money matters. The bottom line matters

What I really don't understand about that, is these food companies are literally killing off their customer base. That's just basic stupid economics. They are in it for the quick buck, but in the long run lose out.

So who is to blame for these huge rates of obesity and diabetes? The FDA, and the US Government that is suppose to protect the people. That is one reason why we even we have a government at all, to protect us. It is exactly those who are supposed to watch out for that shit who are causing the problems in the first place.

Wow, rant, rant, rant :biggrin:. Whoa, dude, sumpin' set me off. Maybe I should just chill and eat a can of tuna. :biggrin: Anyway, is canned tuna farm raised?

Well there are a number of things involved to cover the things in your rant. The reason we buy the grapes, orange juice etc but we also open ourselves to new markets and/or we get new places to send jobs overseas and we get new places to maybe put military bases when needed otherwise we cut them off destroying the nice little economy they had going.

Yes it does seem counter intuitive to kill off your customer base but food is essential, it and water are the two things all creatures, great and small have in common and have to have in order to survive. So while your food product might kill people off there is a steady supply of new customers. Plus people with food diseases like obesity and diabetes typically live fairly long lives considering. It's all about the bottom-line. Food companies are not going to do anything unless the bottom-line starts shrinking. There are other industries that essentially kill off their customers tobacco and alcohol being the two most obvious. As long as people get hooked on things or become dependent on things many will stick to it even if it's proven to be bad for you.

The final and most insidious thing is they get you coming and going. Next time you're at the store check out the price differences between the foods people typically eat and their healthier equivalents. Anything that says "organic" in the name will almost always be significantly more expensive given the harsher regulations placed on organic farmers but not other big commercial farms. Also anything that has something suggesting it's better for you often is more expensive. My wife got on a diet not to long ago and since I do almost all of the shopping she instructed me to get her among other things, snacks in 100 calorie portions. I was looking at some cookie items from Keebler I think it was. Anyway right next to their packages that proudly displayed 100 calorie portions were packages of the same items, meant for kids school lunches that were the exact same thing just in higher caloric portions. The gross weight from the two products were the same just the individual portions were different as were the prices with the 100 calorie packaged items. Those being a good 10% or more expensive then their identical product not packaged in 100 calorie portions. In other words you pay 10% or more just to have someone take care of portion control for you.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
you get a whole tuna ^^^^ lol.. it only goes back to like a few years tho to 2009..they wont even admit that much but agreed to settle 8 mil cash 4 mil coupons...if more people file we all get even less...yeehaw

LEF

Veteran
I like to mix tuna with some avocados and onions. Then I can make some sandwiches with it, tomatoes, some cheese, pepper, mayo.

There are some nice sardines I like, the ones with hot peppers (jalapenos), in times of need I would eat any kind. I used to not eat the bones inside, the skeleton if youd like, but then I learned thats where there is a lot of nutrients.

There are also some tuna that comes with chili inside, nice extra. Eats well with some soda crackers.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I have more than lead in my pencil,,,mercury....yeehaw...just about everything is contaminated now a days...yeehaw

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I think they are gonna wait till the last date to file which is novermber 20th I think then figure out how much they screw us again depending on how many file a claim.....without even admitting any wrong doing,,,think its a few more months...yeehaw...

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I like to mix tuna with some avocados and onions. Then I can make some sandwiches with it, tomatoes, some cheese, pepper, mayo.

There are some nice sardines I like, the ones with hot peppers (jalapenos), in times of need I would eat any kind. I used to not eat the bones inside, the skeleton if youd like, but then I learned thats where there is a lot of nutrients.

There are also some tuna that comes with chili inside, nice extra. Eats well with some soda crackers.

I have yet to catch a tuna with a chili inside ..sounds good tho...lol....yeehaw

Green Squall

I think they are gonna wait till the last date to file which is novermber 20th I think then figure out how much they screw us again depending on how many file a claim.....without even admitting any wrong doing,,,think its a few more months...yeehaw...

Good. Tuna casserole for Thanksgiving!

The Revolution

Veteran
I opted for the coupuns.. I used to eat tuna everyday at my old job. Max calorie intake on a budget! I ate it so much I fucking hate it, but im about to go make some sammiches now.

Green Squall

I opted for the coupuns.. I used to eat tuna everyday at my old job. Max calorie intake on a budget! I ate it so much I fucking hate it, but im about to go make some sammiches now.

Careful. Albacore tuna has a lot of mercury. I eat a shitload of seafood but usually stay away from high mercury fish. Try some Bumblebee Pink Salmon instead.

Latest posts

Latest posts