What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Get Baked and Go Fishing

G

bird...
ive yet to catch a brown.but have caught nice pike,smallies,coho,steelhead out of the big lake.all from the pier.
even some decent size rock bass.

but gobies...ahh those are some bug eyed ugly mother fuckers and i dont think they belong in lake michigan,just like zebra mussles and asian carp...so i usually cull them.

went out today and caught this channel cat...in a local lake..
these 2 dudes in a bass boat trolled by and i swear with every cast they were reeling in large mouths.they were using rattle-traps...i was not.

anyways since its warming up i'l have to check out some other local lakes..
256IMG_1523.JPG

take it easy...:joint:

NOKUY

Veteran
ash said:
bird...
ive yet to catch a brown.but have caught nice pike,smallies,coho,steelhead out of the big lake.all from the pier.
even some decent size rock bass.

but gobies...ahh those are some bug eyed ugly mother fuckers and i dont think they belong in lake michigan,just like zebra mussles and asian carp...so i usually cull them.

went out today and caught this channel cat...in a local lake..
these 2 dudes in a bass boat trolled by and i swear with every cast they were reeling in large mouths.they were using rattle-traps...i was not.

anyways since its warming up i'l have to check out some other local lakes..
256IMG_1523.JPG

take it easy...:joint:

nice catfish

i'm starting to hate colorado more and more the fishing here fukin sucks.....there are just toooooooooo many people.

i have a spot in wyoming where i can fill my freezer in a weekend (mostly walleye, perch, cats, and a cpl lake trout).....i'm gonna plan a trip in the next cpl weeks.

it's at Glendo res. if anyone wants to look it up....i dont have to worry about anyone showing up, its in the middle of fuking no where.

it is constantly windy tho, so u gotta deal with that, but if u know that from the get-go then no biggie.

thanks for posting all your fishing pics guys, i cant wait to get back out there now that the ice is out.

i could go here closer to home, but all there is is stocked trout, and people people people.

:wave:

NOKUY

Veteran
sirgrassalot said:
I'm smellin' the stink so there's no reason to ask. Love fishing fishing fishing Pike slimed all the time.

38360emulsion.jpg

nice pike sirgrass!

pike are my fav. of all fish to catch, and 2nd to eat next to walley/perch (same thing in my book)...and yeah i can fillet the Y bone out better than anyone.

we go to reindeer lake and lac laronge on fly-ins and catch some big ass pike on almost every cast......if u peeps havent done that u gotta before u die...im serious.

my biggest pike landed was easily over 25 pounds prolly closer to 30

an ive released almost all of 'em

we just huck big ol' len thompson #2 spoons the yellow black diamond is my fav.

....they are so shredded w/ deep scratches from teeth by the end of the day that u wouldent ever think they could still work (they do tho)

we (my family) almost purchased a lodge just west of reindeer lake (oliver lake) where we always went...i wish they did, or i wouldent be sitting here typing this right now

Last edited:
G

thanks bro...:joint:
yeah man...
colo is known for its trout,so its no surprise that tourists come flocking.

abirdintheair

Buteo Jamaicensis
Veteran
the article said browns gorge themselves on gobies on the bottom next to piers and such, so if you ever catch a 3-4 inch one bait it up. the article said that browns are the one species really cleaning them out.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
over 12 inches of snow just fell in the last 24 hours & we still have 10-18 inches of ice on most of our lakes right now, soft water fishing is still in my dreams.......

of course there's always the Rainy River just a few miles to the west of me but it's JAMMED with boats right now and the few launch sites open can add up to an hours wait getting your boat in or out.......

G

the kats that were tossing the rattle-traps...
getting those 4# bass...
notice the fish jumping in the upper right corner...
256IMG_1522.JPG

NOKUY

Veteran
Stoner4Life said:
over 12 inches of snow just fell in the last 24 hours & we still have 10-18 inches of ice on most of our lakes right now, soft water fishing is still in my dreams.......

of course there's always the Rainy River just a few miles to the west of me but it's JAMMED with boats right now and the few launch sites open can add up to an hours wait getting your boat in or out.......

ever think of a small canoe or kyak

we fished from a kyak for a long time, and it can be fun and can get u where boats dont/cant go.

'yak w/ waders you otta be set

NOKUY

Veteran
maybe i mentioned it earlier in this thread...im not gonna look back for it tho...this is yukons secret, and i may make it part of my sig...who knows.

but FISH EYES.....

i catch most my fish w/ fish eyes as bait...ive never read about it in a magazine or anything........i came up w/ it on my own, and i have caught thousands of fish on a plain hook and fish eyes...get the red treble hooks if u can.

...u gotta have a fillet knife and u gotta cut the eye tendon at the back so you dont fuk up the membrane.

even to add an eye to other baits helps

its one of those things that people cant mimic...it works!

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
NOKUY said:
ever think of a small canoe or kyak

we fished from a kyak for a long time, and it can be fun and can get u where boats dont/cant go.

'yak w/ waders you otta be set

the best of my season is comprised of 8-10 nights trolling walleye in about 4/5 ft depth, we use floating Rapalas that actually run about 1-1.5 ft deep when we troll real slow. It's tough on my back but I know I'm coming home with meat and maybe catch/release a trophy fish any given night.......

nice fish pics guys!! i havent gotten out yet this year, but i think im putting some of my next check to fresh line and some new gear for the season.

Ash, i think thats a rather sizable bullhead,. i could be wrong, its nice whatever it is, but channel cats usually are a pale silver or greyish with small black spots running the length of the fish. You are correct in the fact that the goby is not native to lake michigan, although we are not going to get rid of them at this point, i know its going to sound bad...but thanks for culling them as well. This species was introduced when international cargo ships have come into native waters and emptied their ballasts. (bastards) Correct me if i am wrong, but the illinois DOC asks you to cull them also.

Sirgrass, sweet pike! Was it chasing bucktails so early in the season? or was it cranks?

NOKUY, ever tried tubing? Find a nice float tube, not just some pool toy, and you can get places that a kayak cant get! ...think jigging for crappie while you stand on the rock they're holding to, or something like that.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
NOKUY said:
FISH EYES.....

i catch most my fish w/ fish eyes as bait...ive never read about it in a magazine or anything........i came up w/ it on my own, and i have caught thousands of fish on a plain hook and fish eyes...get the red treble hooks if u can.

...u gotta have a fillet knife and u gotta cut the eye tendon at the back so you dont fuk up the membrane.

even to add an eye to other baits helps

its one of those things that people cant mimic...it works!
that's illegal in MN NOKUY, in fact most states have laws that preclude you from using any gamefish or any parts of gamefish as bait. Now if you happen to be able to net a bunch of big sucker minnows or other legal baitfish then you could use those eyeballs.......

& yes, eyeballs are great bait. in extreme times of need while living off the grid and the lakes were my main food source I've been known to use perch eyeballs to catch more perch (cannibalistic mofos) but haven't done that in 16+ yrs.

Last edited:

NOKUY

Veteran
bingo..that is a bullhead.

i dont catch bottom feeders that much to recognize 'em that specific, but yeah that is right!

i do use tubes...but when i do its goin fast down the river when its hot in summer...like my free waterpark.

i have a skin for it that makes my tube a float for fishing, but i dont use it and i dont like it....its wayyyyyyyy to slow.

i get the point tho.

i have 1 bait that will catch ANY fish tho...its a blood red hook w/ a real fish eye and a leech.

i promise if u do that and there are fish the will be caught.

NOKUY

Veteran
Stoner4Life said:
that's illegal in MN NOKUY, in fact most states have laws that preclude you from using any gamefish or any parts of gamefish as bait. Now if you happen to be able to net a bunch of big sucker minnows or other legal baitfish then you could use those eyeballs.......

& yes, eyeballs are great bait. in exreme times of need while living off the grid and the lakes were my main food source I've been known to use perch eyeballs to catch more perch (cannibalistic mofos) but haven't done that in 16+ yrs.

thats when i mainly use them is ice fishing perch...i never knew there were laws agains it tho.

...like i obey laws..lol

trust you me....i know most of the cutbait tricks. how about tying your chicken liver in a pair of your girls old nylons so it takes a hook better. Same for fresh salmon eggs too!

NOKUY

Veteran
EvilRaven1031 said:
trust you me....i know most of the cutbait tricks. how about tying your chicken liver in a pair of your girls old nylons so it takes a hook better. Same for fresh salmon eggs too!

man im soooo glad we are bait hukers and not fly tiers!

not that i have anything against fly fishing...i just dont have the patience.

my gf is a badass fly fisher, and her dad a great one and a great fly tier...i just always wanna stik a bait on it lol

you know, i LOVE fishing with micro-lite tackle. so live bait is often the only option. Even when i scale up the size of my tackle, i still prefer chuckin live bait to artificials. Although a floating Rapala and a spinnerbait are tough to beat.

etncrew

EvilRaven1031 said:
you know, i LOVE fishing with micro-lite tackle. so live bait is often the only option. Even when i scale up the size of my tackle, i still prefer chuckin live bait to artificials. Although a floating Rapala and a spinnerbait are tough to beat.
rapala's are amazing lures

i keep waiting for them to make them smaller. i love the f5 size, but i want to see a single treble f2 or something like that. Black over silver rules all!!