What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Get Baked and Go Fishing

Hey nice cats Midwest.

I am almost 100% sure that I'll be entering a catfish derby with some friends.

I would like to hear everyones favorite baits, tips, and tricks for fishing for cats. It's an all night derby so will be fishing day and night(prolly bring a bell along so I can catnap while catnabbing.)

My favorite baits for channel catfish in order for me are 1) cut bluegill(head, side, etc) 2) shrimp, plain and simple, shrimp. on a 5/0 circle hook. :D 3) other cut bait, crappie, shad, white perch, whatever

I dont mess around with slimey chicken livers, shad gizzards, bloodbait/stinkbait, cheesebaits, etc.. or any of that nasty stuff personally... these baits to tend catch alot of small fish, also.

My catfish rig is a bit unorthodox, and sometimes can be a tangling mess, but you learn it quick. Hands down the best rig i've ever used for catfishing..

This is the rig I use for catfish
46027001b.jpg

I know.. its a crappie rig right, WTF? BUT, all I want is those steel twisty thingies(not sure wtf they are called).. I modify it, it comes with mono line, I change that out to 20lb power pro, or higher lb for flathead fishing. I also do not use the snell leaders that come with the rig, I tie on a 20lb power pro leader to 5/0 circle hook. Put my cutbait or shrimp on the hooks, cast out and hold on. It allows you to fish one bait about 3-4" off the bottom, the other bait 12-18" off the bottom, on one line. Make sure to check your state laws on using 2 hooks, some places its illegal.

Second to that, if you cant use 2 hooks on one line, go with a 3-way rig, same exact concept, keep the bait off the bottom, rig up some shrimp or cutbait and hold on..
3WayRig.jpg

Works great in rivers and lakes and everywhere else..

Another modification to the 3-way rig I like to do is add a slider/slip float(not sure what they call those everywhere either, thats just what I call them).. basically a float you add to your line just before the hook to make sure it's off the bottom. It's good for lakes with lots of moss and crap on the bottom, keeps your bait easy to find for them hungry cats.

Thats all I got for now.. if you need a picture of my actual rig I can show ya one.. but I make it out of that crappie rig.

Peace

L

luaith

yeah...i cruised...the wind was picking up,and i didnt hae any rain gear..
i hae caught some whoppers when it has rained..

Just thought i'd show what a friend caught during a walleye tourney this weekend.

On 10lb line no less.. Here.. she... is......
picture.php

Didnt get a weight or length as they were tourney fishing and didnt want to waste anytime.

Fish of a lifetime.

Haha, that cat prolly eats walleye for breakfast!
Nice one

man...got a fishing story that nobody will believe

Left my phone at a friends last night, so had no camera to document...

Was fishing with some senkos for SMB today, hooked into a big one and it just peeled drag until the line snapped(4lb test.)
Caught some other bass(a few nice ones) and hit that spot again on my way out, caught another huge one, this time managed to get her in and I seen two senkos hanging out her mouth...yep I caught the same exact bass twice, on the same exact color senko, she was a good 4-1/2 lbs. Wish I had my camera dangit!

Lol... thats hilarious, I had the EXACT same thing happen last year, caught the same bass twice, got my original lure back that got broke off.

Damn Super we just seem to achieve all the same things, LOL. I for one believe you! haha.

Peace

I

idoreallytry

I have in cricks caught all kinds of cats with other hooks and lines sill in mouth;;pso i know it happens but in the same day is cool,,,peace

hansel

Lost In The Forest
ICMag Donor
Hey nice cats Midwest.

I am almost 100% sure that I'll be entering a catfish derby with some friends.

I would like to hear everyones favorite baits, tips, and tricks for fishing for cats. It's an all night derby so will be fishing day and night(prolly bring a bell along so I can catnap while catnabbing.)

Hey Superzero, I am not sure where you will be fishing, but there used to be some large channel cats in Westover near the river bend by home depot.

If it rained and the water was cloudy, the catfish would really be biting. I think we were using shiners and crayfish.

As a side note: This time of year the Indian reservation restaurant in Nedrow on Rt. 81 serves up platters of batter fried bullheads.

Take care and I hope you catch a lot of fish.

p.s. Try Dryden lake. It is good for bass and panfish. There are some huge bass in there and it is very peaceful and scenic.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
has anyone hear heard about the world record catfish that was caught in thialand I think. It was like 700 and somethin pounds. Before scientist could preserve it, the town ate the whole thing. ha

nice catch midwest

wdr

Veteran
what a thread :) i tough im the onlyone who likes "get bake and go fishing" but i was wrong :rasta:

im from east europe. Im lakefisher- Nrth. Pike, Zander, carp, perch, roach - thats my fishes:)

my last week small northern pike

peace and love :joint:

O

ocean99

First time I ever smelled weed was on a fishing trip... I ended up hooking the biggest baddest motherfucker of the whole trip, big ass fuckin tuna. I think I won my dad like 150 bucks for that. Good times.

C

cellardweller

too bad you couldn't get the camera a little closer, Super0..
:laughing:

but I'm not laughing too hard, cause lately all I been gettin is skunked on the water..
looks like a live bait weekend for me..

I

idoreallytry

"too bad you couldn't get the camera a little closer, Super0.."

hey cellar if ti was me the pic would have been worse from me running from it,,,closer i hate snakes slithering demons lol,,,i am a very big guy but i am a straight sissy when it comes to snakes,,,
that is a nice variety from a day Super it must be nice to have an area with that much diversity in yor fishing spots we are limited around my area,,,nice days catch,,,peace

C

cellardweller

sorry if my fish weren't big enough for you

I bet I could catch a bigger fish than you any day, but dumbass carp are not very fun to me, I have to be drunk to do that kind of fishing, and I rarely drink, I like to get stoned and into the zone.

dude..I was talking about the snake..jokingly at that..
I would never make fun of the size of another mans catch...
:moon:

I dont carp fish on purpose either, but the occasional mudsucker comes along..