What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Germinating in wet paper towels vs soil

Ca++

If you do start in tissue, don't make much effort to remove it from the root, if it's at all attached. You risk pulling off root hairs, and the tissue isn't a problem worth loosing development for. You should probably just plant the tissue, as moving them from the tissue, seems to be a bad point in their lives.

PoorDad

Agree with the above post about ripping the roots apart when trying to separate the seedling from the paper. Throw the whole thing into the dirt if you're germinating in paper towels or tissue.

I put them directly into the dirt and go. No towels or mucking around. Dirt, water, monitor and go.

PoorDad

Just put these down an hour ago. Mimosa, Jack Heror and Northern Lights. All autos. I wet the soil that will be under the plastic/glass cover. Thoroughly saturate only that soil. Make it mud. Put the seed in there, pointed side down. Hinge side up. Place a small piece of peat moss over the top and soak that thoroughly. Cover it. Check in 2 or 3 days. 99% of them have popped up by then.

Lighting is dual 4ft led strips. Each strip is 42w at 6500k. 24/7 with PPFD around 300 to sprout then 330--350 within the 1st week.
20240219_092205.jpg

Last edited:

farmerfischer

I've always found the paper towel method to work great.. that way germinated you know for sure once you put in the soil it's going to sprout
I move them to soil/substrate as soon as they pop a small tail.. I try not to let them go to long to prevent them from growing through the paper towel and risk damaging them