What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Germinating in wet paper towels vs soil

plantingplants

So I had 20 seeds. I put 10 in wet paper towels, and 10 in moist soil on a heat mat. I planted the 10 when they cracked. The paper towel seeds broke ground first by two days.

These results aren't conclusive because of two variables I couldn't accurately measure or control in the soil. Moisture level and temperature. The wet paper towels were more moist and warmer. I believe if those two variables are identical, media doesn't matter as long as the seeds are in direct contact with it.

Further experiments to come.

P

polzek

From my experience, soaking them in water or wet paper work faster than puttin them straight to soil, for me it was 2days for pregermed seeds and a week when planted straight to soil, also did tests with same strains and the ones presoaked were faster. On the other hand planting straight to soil brings other benefits according to TLO style of growing.

Theres an old post by coot where he mentions that the interactions between the radicle and soil microbiology are complex. Im not sure how significant it is but i germ in inoculated soil.

Tri_Cho_Me

New grower here. Haven't germinated anything yet. I think I'm going to paper towel then bury in my Happy Frog. I like the idea of seeing the tap root come out first before I bury. That way I at least know it was started before I buried it.

MrBungle

I have to say, I have always been a direct sow kind of guy... I usually go with the mandala method, but I recently tried some older seeds direct sow with no luck, all 5 seeds from a 10 pack and nothing germed.. so I decided to put the other 5 in a paper towel...
I learned a trick from my old buddy to do with older seeds.. you basically paper towel germ the seeds but let the paper towel dry a couple times, before putting the wet paper towel in a plastic bag, and in a warm dark spot for germination... I figured nothing from nothing means nothin.. so I did it.. check my seeds today (3 days later) 3 out of 5 had nice inch long white tails... We will see if they break ground to become plants... Anyways I have had great success with direct sow, and now am seeing the benefits of paper towel method as well.. Both are great...

Last edited:

Bongstar420

It doesn't matter.

The paper towel is so you can see that your stuff did actually germinate whereas, in soil, thats hard to verify (pythium is common destroyer of seed that just germed).

I just put them in water at room temperature to reduce the amount of blank cells when doing seed tests as some seed lines have poor germination due to genetic compatibility or sometimes adverse environmental conditions during seed set.

So I had 20 seeds. I put 10 in wet paper towels, and 10 in moist soil on a heat mat. I planted the 10 when they cracked. The paper towel seeds broke ground first by two days.

These results aren't conclusive because of two variables I couldn't accurately measure or control in the soil. Moisture level and temperature. The wet paper towels were more moist and warmer. I believe if those two variables are identical, media doesn't matter as long as the seeds are in direct contact with it.

Bongstar420

It doesn't matter.

The paper towel is so you can see that your stuff did actually germinate whereas, in soil, thats hard to verify (pythium is common destroyer of seed that just popped open).

I just put them in water at room temperature to reduce the amount of blank cells when doing seed tests.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Mentor
Veteran
I have been using the Mandala method for several years now. With great germination rates each year. I reseed if needed, by the end of a long summer of vegetative growth. Sometimes being a week late keeps them from the roof of the greenhouse. Peace

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
As mentioned already,
Paper towel method allows visual identification of germination.

I use paper towels for old seeds & stopped the overnight soak & realized better germ rates.

usda101

albumid=26983&pictureid=1824017&thumb=1[/img][/url] Straight to soil beats paper towel method all day. In solo cups is best to keep from having to replant from a tray and less stress . I have tried every method paper towel , coco etc . I should have put these in solo cups but used tray , they where planted 3 hours ago . Will update when they break soil .

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
I do a water soak overnight and usually sprout tails,
then plant in a light soil mix to continue sprouting,
then transplant to the coco pots.

Keep it simple.

stim

I actually prefer paper towel however I usually go straight to soil instead. I would add that you should hang the paper towel in a Ziploc bag so the roots grow straight. I believe the dez or root caps of the seeds utilize gravitropism to accomplish this.

positivity

Veteran
Never again will I dig for a bought seed with a chopstick to see what happened to it.

paper towel..'

If its good it'll go. If its bad it'll stop. If its tired it'll stall. Flip the towel to check...or...play mini excavator

Tried the worm bin vs paper towel recently. Towel won. YMMV

Latest posts

Latest posts