What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Germany to legalize cannabis

zaprjaques

Well, whenever the law might kick in, the entire EU and some more will have their eyes glued to you germans. So dont screw it up hehe! @Ca++ has a point, its a trial, or will be. I feel like the EU has to follow the trend somehow... but its a different ballpark compared to the US.

ip tampae

but importing , growing, buying, selling is
Yep, ist true.
Even seeds are illegal in Germany, which is why many seed sellers don´t ship to Germany.
Unfortunately. In 1998, we in Germany were deprived of the chance to legally acquire seeds But there are still a lot of foreign shops, for example from Spain, Italy, Austria, Denmark, England,Poland, Hungary, and a lot of other countries (and many German +EU hobby breeders) who provide us with seeds.
I hope that at some point there will be justice and that you can order seeds from all over the world without much problems. But that's just a dream.

Mitsuharu

White Window
Veteran
@ip tampae
Most of the seed business is here in europe anyway... no need to order another 100 cookie kush strains from overseas. ^^ No offense...

but importing , growing, buying, selling is. Even seeds are illegal in Germany, which is why many seed sellers don´t ship to Germany.
Even passing a joint to someone is illegal. ;) Consuming is not illegal but posessing is. 😅 So you get trouble for smoking in public in any case for sure.

Last edited:

Cuddles

Even passing a joint to someone is illegal. ;) Consuming is not illegal but posessing is. 😅 So you get trouble for smoking in public in any case for sure.
yes, exactly -this is so paradox lol. When you´re holding it and smoking it you´re automatically in possession. Another nonsense rule made up by (hypocritical) politicians...oh well

Cuddles

Yep, ist true.

Unfortunately. In 1998, we in Germany were deprived of the chance to legally acquire seeds But there are still a lot of foreign shops, for example from Spain, Italy, Austria, Denmark, England,Poland, Hungary, and a lot of other countries (and many German +EU hobby breeders) who provide us with seeds.
I hope that at some point there will be justice and that you can order seeds from all over the world without much problems. But that's just a dream.
I ordered from a place in Spain once - NEVER again! They took my money and did a runner. Bastardos.

Cuddles

Well, there´s one guy of authority who agrees with the governments plans to legalize weed (too bad he´s not in Brussels, lol):

Stern German Judge Objects to ‘Absurd’ Law Criminalizing Pot​

A social media star with regular appearances on German television, Judge Andreas Müller is unabashed in backing legal marijuana, whether he’s sitting on the bench or playing himself in a music video.

Seven men standing on a canal boat. Judge Andreas Muller is holding a cigarette and wearing a green scarf as he talks.

Judge Andreas Müller, third from left in cap, on a canal cruise in Amsterdam, before he gave a talk on the status of cannabis legalization in Germany.Credit...Ilvy Njiokiktjien for The New York Times

Seven men standing on a canal boat. Judge Andreas Muller is holding a cigarette and wearing a green scarf as he talks.

Christopher F. Schuetze
By Christopher F. Schuetze
Christopher F. Schuetze spent several days in Judge Andreas Müller’s courtroom in Bernau bei Berlin, Germany, to see him at work.
April 22, 2023
Although the judge had steeled himself for a grueling fight, the cannabis case was over in mere minutes.
The defendant had been caught in his parents’ house with 7.5 ounces of marijuana, and the judge was getting ready for the prosecution to try him as an adult since he was just 18, and technically could be held responsible under the adult laws.
But the district attorney said he planned to try the case under Germany’s youth laws.
That gave Judge Andreas Müller an opening. Presiding over the courtroom in the traditional black robe and white tie, he immediately threw out the case, citing a youth court statute that encourages rehabilitation rather than punishment.
“Maybe one day, when you’ve had the chance to learn to become an able businessman, you can become a cannabis entrepreneur,” Mr. Müller told the defendant, eliciting chuckles in the courtroom in Bernau bei Berlin, a small, picturesque community north of the German capital. The defendant, Justin H., whose surname is protected by Germany’s strict privacy laws, was too stunned to react other than to nod.
Advertisement
Continue reading the main story

Judge Müller is famous in Germany for his relentless criticism of the law criminalizing cannabis possession. Often with obvious anger in his voice, he has argued against Germany’s cannabis law in numerous TV discussion panels; at pro-cannabis demonstrations; in a book; and even in a rap video, all while serving as an active judge. In his courtroom, where he hears mainly youth but also adult cases, he has repeatedly thrown out minor possession cases.

A group of people sitting on a canal boat, with a table laden with food and drink in the foreground. One of those seated is a man with a long white beard and sunglasses slipping down his nose.

Enjoying snacks and drinks after Judge Müller finished his talk on legalizing cannabis in Germany.Credit...Ilvy Njiokiktjien for The New York Times

A group of people sitting on a canal boat, with a table laden with food and drink in the foreground. One of those seated is a man with a long white beard and sunglasses slipping down his nose.

“It makes me so mad to see so many young people locked up and criminalized just because they use cannabis and not alcohol,” he said during a cigarette break at Bernau’s busy municipal court.
Part of his anger arises both from the frequency of cannabis arrests — 181,000 on minor possession or use charges in 2021 — and the billions of euros spent enforcing what he said was the “absurd” law against getting high.
In 2020, Judge Müller wrote the first complaint to Germany’s highest constitutional court, asking it to overturn the cannabis law. Other judges followed, and the court is now reviewing 10 drug cases sent by three different courts in Germany.
Advertisement
Continue reading the main story

“For young people like us, it’s pretty inspiring to have someone from an older generation, who is a judge, advocate for a thing that maybe goes against conventional opinion,” said the rapper GReeeN, 33, who often sings favorably about cannabis. “It’s important — we need people like him for change.”

ip tampae

Most of the seed business is here in europe anyway... no need to order another 100 cookie kush strains from overseas. ^^ No offense...
Mitsuharu,
I'm not interested in that kind of variety.
I'd rather be able to buy Caribbean varieties like this. There are almost no suppliers for these varieties. And I don't want that 0815 Stuff. I like it pure. I would like to be able to buy many Landraces. Since Brexit, almost only possible under Hand.
I ordered from a place in Spain once - NEVER again! They took my money and did a runner. Bastardos.
It's happened to me many times, even in Austria.

Let's wait and see how long our Politicians need. I'm hoping for a first legal cultivation in September - November

Cuddles

Mitsuharu,
I'm not interested in that kind of variety.
I'd rather be able to buy Caribbean varieties like this. There are almost no suppliers for these varieties. And I don't want that 0815 Stuff. I like it pure. I would like to be able to buy many Landraces. Since Brexit, almost only possible under Hand.

It's happened to me many times, even in Austria.

Let's wait and see how long our Politicians need. I'm hoping for a first legal cultivation in September - November
I haven´t ordered a single thing from Britain since Brexit. Not just seeds but other stuff too bacause of the additionnal customs tax and all the hassle of going to the customs office to pick it up etc.
Seeds are worse though. Everything from Britain now gets checked by customs and if they know you got seeds you´re more likely to get busted. :(

Do you remember the seller in Austria who screwed you? It would be great info so the rest of us don´t order from them by accident. :)

Cuddles

Bad news:

Bavaria announces opposition to cannabis plans​

04/12/2023 | 09:16am EDT

MUNICH (dpa-AFX) - The Bavarian state government has sharply attacked the federal government's new plans for the partial legalization of cannabis products and wants to prevent legalization in the Free State if possible. Minister President Markus Söder (CSU) called the plan an "aberration" on Twitter. Health Minister Klaus Holetschek (CSU) said, "The traffic light coalition is now trying spasmodically to find loopholes for its ideological legalization project with legal dodges." Health risks would be played down.

Holetschek called the argument that legalization would lead to more protection for young people a "bad joke." Economy Minister Hubert Aiwanger (Free Voters) wrote sarcastically on Twitter, "Finally station dealers can pack bigger packages for youth u police can stay home."

According to current expert assessments, there are legal objections to the planned introduction of model regions. "These "scientific" model projects aim to establish a state distribution system for cannabis - and thus a practice that is clearly prohibited under international law. They are an attempt to circumvent these requirements of international law. These model projects are also incompatible with European law," Holetschek explained. Bavaria will analyze exactly how to prevent the legalization of cannabis in Bavaria.

The youth organizations of the FDP and SPD in Bavaria, on the other hand, applauded. The Young Liberals demanded that there should also be model regions in Bavaria. The Jusos called on the municipalities to enable a model project in Munich and to make urban areas available for so-called social clubs. "Even if we actually want full legalization, the current announcement by Karl Lauterbach is a good first step," the SPD youth organization said.

The plans of the federal government provide that in Germany in the future the possession of a maximum of 25 grams of cannabis and the self-cultivation of a maximum of three plants should be exempt from punishment. In addition, the federal government wants to allow the cultivation and distribution of the drug in special associations. The originally planned free sale of cannabis for adults in specialized stores is to be tested only in a second step and initially in model regions with scientific support./dm/DP/men

Right wing b*stards. They´re really trying to ruin everything :(

• Sad
Reactions: Gry

Cuddles

it seems that this `legalization´ is being watered down on a daily basis. The latest I came across is that home growing will remain illegal. WTF?

So, that sucks and how will this help the growers who want to choose the strains they consume? Zero.
How will this benefit growers in other countries in terms of possible legalization in Europe? ZERO
:(

If home growing isn´t allowed there will be a couple of companies who will end up having a monopoly and they can´t even produce enough. Mass production, possible poor quality, and not the exact strains individual tokers are after. NOT the good example we hoped Germany would be setting... :(

Ca++

I know 90% are struggling with this, but look at Thailand. Watch what happens, as it unfolds. In short, the people were given cannabis. Wishful thinking thought they heard it was legal. Shops sprung up. In the next few months the governing laws will be written. Then we will see the future for Germany, is just like the past for the UK. They are just dipping their toe in the water, to see how it feels. UK did it, and back peddled. Thailand have done it, and in all likelyhood are poised to back peddle. Germany are going to give it's people the chance they deserve. Then later, it will be cafes or illegal again. I already know that people just hear 'decriminalised' and think they can make a million.

That prediction soon became fact. Thai's thought they were getting a good thing. Now they have voted in the party that will put the old laws back.

There is a big difference between your neighbours accepting you smoke, and them accepting the outlook beyond that.
We must realise that what we can do, is their choice, not ours. That is why it's illegal. Their choice, not ours.

The UK was screwed by street dealers
Thailand saw the gold rush mentality of a new frontier.
I hope Germany can learn from these mistakes.

The future is roaches on the ground, treated like needles in the park. Newspapers with pics of hoodies smoking in the city, not students by the lake. A focus on the carry limit being used on the corner.
I will take bets. Any official reading what we make of it here, won't sign off on it.

CannaT

starin' at the world through my rearview
Premium user
Czech republic wanted to go with Germany with legalisation. After short talk with EU commision they wanted to ban even CBD. 🤣