What's new

Geologist Grower

sedimento

Hey there, fellow cannabis enthusiasts!

I'm stoked to be joining the ICmag community and sharing my journey with you all. Allow me to introduce myself – I'm a seasoned grower with over 5 years of experience under my belt, and by day, I'm a geologist, exploring the mysteries of the Earth. But when the sun goes down, my green thumb takes over as I dive into the world of cannabis cultivation.

This was my grow on 2019, where I Harvest 740grams on 1m².

Now, here's where things get interesting – I'm currently operating in a rather unique situation. Despite the extreme prohibition of cannabis in my homeland, Brazil, I've managed to secure authorization from the federal court to cultivate this incredible plant. It's been a wild ride navigating the legal landscape, but I'm determined to make the most of this opportunity and contribute to the cannabis community in my own way.

In the past, I've had some pretty impressive results, with yields reaching up to 740g/m². However, recently, I've hit a bit of a snag with my new setup. My poor plants are experiencing some serious leaf burn, and I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what's going wrong.

Here's the lowdown on my current setup: I'm using coco as my substrate and feeding my plants with Athena nutrients at an EC of 2.0. My pH levels going in are set at 6.2 (I prefer this over constantly using pH down). I did experiment with lowering the pH to 5.8, but to my dismay, the burn continued. I'm using 2 quantumbars of 600 Watts each one. And to add to the mystery, during a recent trip, I left the lights on at 240 watts each, with a distance of 75cm from the canopy, and within just three days, my plants were looking like they'd been through a wildfire.
1696125717267.png

Sem título-4.png

I'm reaching out to this community for some much-needed assistance. I'm genuinely baffled by this recent setback, and I'm eager to learn and understand what's happening.

Here's to the future of my cannabis cultivation journey – one where we conquer challenges and celebrate successes together. Cheers, and let's get growing! 🌿🌱🌿

sedimento

Temperature: 27ºC
humidity: 85 %
Coco Coir
Athena 2.0 EC
pH: 62
2x 600 Watts Figolite Samsung lm301h EVO with Meanwell driver
12x 7L Pot
CropSteering irrigation
700ml/day to each pot with 7 events of 100ml

sedimento

Now, I've switched to using my QuantumBars, with each running at 50 watts, as I suspect that excessive light might be the root of my problem. In the past, when I had 100 watts running on each panel, I already noticed some leaf burn issues. In fact, the black sheet underneath is there because my table has a concave reflective blanket, and I was considering the possibility that hotspots could be emerging from below

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Hey there, fellow cannabis enthusiasts!

I'm stoked to be joining the ICmag community and sharing my journey with you all. Allow me to introduce myself – I'm a seasoned grower with over 5 years of experience under my belt, and by day, I'm a geologist, exploring the mysteries of the Earth. But when the sun goes down, my green thumb takes over as I dive into the world of cannabis cultivation.

View attachment 18897757

Now, here's where things get interesting – I'm currently operating in a rather unique situation. Despite the extreme prohibition of cannabis in my homeland, Brazil, I've managed to secure authorization from the federal court to cultivate this incredible plant. It's been a wild ride navigating the legal landscape, but I'm determined to make the most of this opportunity and contribute to the cannabis community in my own way.

In the past, I've had some pretty impressive results, with yields reaching up to 740g/m². However, recently, I've hit a bit of a snag with my new setup. My poor plants are experiencing some serious leaf burn, and I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what's going wrong.

Here's the lowdown on my current setup: I'm using coco as my substrate and feeding my plants with Athena nutrients at an EC of 2.0. My pH levels going in are set at 6.2 (I prefer this over constantly using pH down). I did experiment with lowering the pH to 5.8, but to my dismay, the burn continued. I'm using 2 quantumbars of 600 Watts each one. And to add to the mystery, during a recent trip, I left the lights on at 240 watts each, with a distance of 75cm from the canopy, and within just three days, my plants were looking like they'd been through a wildfire.
View attachment 18897758
View attachment 18897759

I'm reaching out to this community for some much-needed assistance. I'm genuinely baffled by this recent setback, and I'm eager to learn and understand what's happening.

Here's to the future of my cannabis cultivation journey – one where we conquer challenges and celebrate successes together. Cheers, and let's get growing! 🌿🌱🌿
It looks like to me you have your EC too high causing leaf bronzing

sedimento

I'm going to ride with you for a while. What kind of water are you using friend? Tap, RO, Rain?

I appreciate your assistance in trying to resolve this issue. It's quite interesting to compare my grow with my neighbor's , given the similarities in our setup.

First and foremost, we share the same tap water source, which has an EC of around 0.25. Additionally, we both use coco substrate that we purchased together, so it's identical. However, my neighbor is using REMO nutrients with an EC of 2.0 on veg, and his plants, which are approximately 1 month old are awesome and in flowering stage he is using tap water and 3.0 Ec and all of his plants are amazing!

Now, let's shift our focus to my grow. I'm also using the same tap water as my neighbor. I've implemented an automatic watering system with a crop steering approach, essentially alternating watering every other day. Each pot receives a total of 800 ml of water (my pots are 7L) distributed over seven intervals throughout the day. As previously mentioned, I'm using Athena 2.0 nutrients.

One perplexing aspect is that even when I reduced the EC to 1.6, my plants continued to exhibit issues. This raises questions about whether 2.0 is indeed a high enough EC to cause nutrient burn, especially since Athena recommends an EC of 3.0 throughout the entire growth cycle. I also experimented with a lower EC of 1.6, but it didn't produce any significant changes, neither in the larger nor smaller plants.

To summarize the differences between my grow and my neighbor's:

1. I have an automatic watering system, while my neighbor waters manually. This results in a higher watering frequency for my plants, and my system utilizes drip irrigation, while my neighbor waters all at once.

2. I use Athena nutrients, whereas my neighbor uses REMO.

3. In terms of lighting, I have two 600-watt quantum bars, currently running at 50 watts each, whereas my neighbor uses a single quantum board at 240 watts during the vegetative stage.

I'm truly puzzled by these differences and the challenges my plants are facing. Any further insights or suggestions from the community would be greatly appreciated as I work to resolve this issue.

Ca++

As part of your data gathering, we need to know the umol/j or umol/w or umol/s (whetever) your lights are rated at. Then the wattage they are on, using a watt meter, not the dimming dial. This gives us the light given. Then what's really missing, is the size of your space. The sum of these values (adjusted for hanging height) will give us your PPFD.

These signs are not uncommon, and are often called LED burn. However it's inaccurate, and more likely a feed issue. You are running 33% lower then recommended, so that could be a clue.

Can you pull the drippers out of one, and hand water it with the right EC for a few days.

Your automation schedule confused me. It sounds like 7 fertigations a day, but missing alternate days.
I'm not sure if you have any run to waste, or are collecting the unused nutrients in your pots.

85% is high. Is your neighbours that high?

If I walked in on that, I would mix up a proper tank with a known feed (like ask the neighbour for some) and with the addition of h2o2, water to runoff. I want to see the EC of what runs out first. While putting the roots in a know to be good feed. Then I would wait until they actually need watering again, and consult my watch as to how long that actually takes.
With what you have, I would pull the drippers out of a couple. Run one as the bottle says, and one 50% higher. Doing that same flush through, and wait till they need it again.
It's often the best result to feed a few in a different manner. You know only one will be right, and you may even loose another. However, in a few days you know what to do.

Edit: History tells us that people with those signs, either backed off on everything (quitters) or used calmag, or more feed in general. Your high RH suggests calmag might actually be the answer. However, you need to act now, and having one at ec2 one at ec3 and one at ec4 will shine a light of your feeds correct mixing strength. Or if it's too strong, or lacking something, due to the reaction of the 3 sacrificial plants (which really won't get any worse)

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
an you pull the drippers out of one, and hand water it with the right EC for a few days.

A good plan.

Just as a vague data point . . . I ran Remo nutes for a while with coco and I was running a higher ec than I do now with canna. With Canna, I hover around 1.1 - 1.2 and with Remo I seem to remember 1.8 - 1.9 . . . fwiw.

therevverend

Veteran
Congrats on securing a legal grow. Great to see things changing in Brazil, a country with a long history of medicinal cannabis use.

I agree with Troutman your humidity is too high. I see it all the time in indoor grows. The conditions create a stuffy humid environment. Cannabis can thrive at most humidity levels but at high humidity levels there's less room for error. Increasing air flow out of your grow room will make your plants much less likely to burn. Of course you're in Brazil, it might be cooler and less humid in your grow room than outside...

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I have a question for you friend. If your neighbor has a perfect grow method why don't you use his method?

sedimento

Dude, about my neyghbor he is a first time grower hahaha
I biuld and tell everything that he have to do, he is using my REMO method, and We are using everything in the Same … the diference is that Athena that i wanted to try and my drip watterring irritation system. All the things that are different is because I tryed to improve my method
I have a question for you friend. If your neighbor has a perfect grow method why don't you use his method?

sedimento

Congrats on securing a legal grow. Great to see things changing in Brazil, a country with a long history of medicinal cannabis use.

I agree with Troutman your humidity is too high. I see it all the time in indoor grows. The conditions create a stuffy humid environment. Cannabis can thrive at most humidity levels but at high humidity levels there's less room for error. Increasing air flow out of your grow room will make your plants much less likely to burn. Of course you're in Brazil, it might be cooler and less humid in your grow room than outside.
Hi man, thanks for your help … My vpd is perfect, I dont think that my Humidity is high for veggie.
I live in a coastal city in Brazil where the temperature is ALWAYS around 30 degrees Celsius, and the humidity never drops below 75%

therevverend

Veteran
Do what you want to do, they're your plants. If you keep your humidity above 70% you're always going to be running into problems like you have right now. When you run one factor borderline as soon as something else goes out of wack the plants will suffer. I've been growing 30 years, seen this over and over in humid rooms. Much easier to grow in the winter here than in the summer, can't imagine growing indoors in that kind of climate year round.

If I was you I'd be running a dehumidifier. But if I take the time and trouble to grow I want the best stuff. If you don't care, you're happy with what you get, it doesn't really matter...