What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

General Organics

Chem&M

Different strokes for different folks :dunno:

Fair enough. I guess I look at it like this, if a person drinks and smoke's, they should still take their vitamins and eat well. I don't think the other products are bad for the plant, they just aren't organic.

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
habeeb-depending wether you grow in soil or a soil less medium you desire a different ca:mg ratio. for example soil grown plants thrive more with a higher ca:mg ratio, such as 5:1 - 7:1, i believe that is why GO camg+ used a 5:1 ratio, keeping in mind probably they're consumers would be growing organically in soil. in hydro a lower ca:mg ratio is desirable.

"What is the correct Calcium to Magnesium ration?

As stated above, there is no definitive ratio, but our experience has shown that as long as the calcium and magnesium ppms are sufficient a Ca:Mg ration of 4:1 to 7:1 should offer a soil with better structure, better aeration, and better productivity."

completely disagree..

to me, cannabis likes, Ca from 100-120ppm , and Mg from 45-65ppm

look at any lime, there ratios are usually Ca: Mg - 2:1

and not sure where your info came from, but to me, these are balanced ratios:

-N: Ca - 1:1 or 1:0.8
-K : Ca : Mg - 4: 2 : 1

please feel free to show me different

onegreenday

Veteran
Perhaps it has to do with what Clackamas Coot said here
about the solubility issue.:

QUOTE:

Interesting ingredient profile. Both the Calcium and Magnesium in this form is insoluble. I suspect that the addition of molasses is to create some kind of aqueous suspension deal.

Hmmmmm.................

Limestone - 96% Calcium Carbonate @ $7.50 for 50 lbs.

Magnesium Oxide (which is water soluble) from Langbeinite @ $.40 per lb. This will also give you high levels of Potassium and elemental Sulphur in addition to the Mg component.

Molasses - well molasses is molasses I guess.

CC

completely disagree..

to me, cannabis likes, Ca from 100-120ppm , and Mg from 45-65ppm

look at any lime, there ratios are usually Ca: Mg - 2:1

and not sure where your info came from, but to me, these are balanced ratios:

-N: Ca - 1:1 or 1:0.8
-K : Ca : Mg - 4: 2 : 1

please feel free to show me different

B

Butte_Creek

g.o. wasn't created for cannabis, and i don't know what exactly cannabis prefers in ppms since i'm not hydro, strictly organic almost 100% the time. the most i'll do is check pH.

all i was saying is that is why i believe g.o. probably used that ratio 5.1 , studies have indicated better soil structure, better aeration, and better productivity.

"7:1 sounds right,
Also from Hemp Diseases and Pests and based on Albrecht's model -
soil saturation optima are 70-80% calcium, 12-15% magnesium, and 3-5% potassium. The optimum 70-80% for calcium means that calcium occupies 70-80% of the total possible cation exchange sites in the soil."'
-tom hill,

that is where i remember reading the 7:1 ratio.

"Seem to remember people saying like 2:1. In the ag research I've been doing seems it's more like 5-7:1 otherwise when the ratio gets below 5:1 you have problems with soil tightening up."

what i'm getting at, soil requires a higher calcium cation concentration. in hydro or coco this is probably not true at all.

better productivity who knows though, most recent study at University of Minnesota reads :
"The optimum soil cation ratio concept, developed about 50 years ago, has been incorporated into some fertilizer recommendation philosophies in various ways. Recent field evaluations of this concept, however, show that the ratio of cations has no impact on the response of crops to Ca, Mg, and K in fertilizer programs. The optimum cation ratio concept has a major disadvantage in that even if the ratio of cations in the soil is considered to be optimum, a nutrient deficiency may still exist. A sufficient supply of available cations in the root zone is the most important consideration in making economic fertilizer recommendations."

I

Iron_Lion

Fair enough. I guess I look at it like this, if a person drinks and smoke's, they should still take their vitamins and eat well. I don't think the other products are bad for the plant, they just aren't organic.

I dont think they are bad for the plants, but sometimes whats in these chem fertilizers is bad for humans.
I think I remember reading Bushmaster has some pretty bad stuff in it.

onegreenday

Veteran
My GO Bio Weed seems to have separated somewhat
and even with hard shaking it's coming out in little pieces
of green sea kelp.

The bottle says keep in a 'cool/dark/ place; which has not
always been the case and it's been open maybe a year, so it's
probably past it's prime.

Anybody else get that?

I just diluted with a little water & a hard shake &
it seems to be back
to a flowing liquid.

Thanks

Chem&M

I dont think they are bad for the plants, but sometimes whats in these chem fertilizers is bad for humans.
I think I remember reading Bushmaster has some pretty bad stuff in it.

That I haven't heard about BM, but I haven't heard practically anything about it. I'm going to dig a bit deeper now. Thanks for the heads up. :thank you:

Chem&M

My GO Bio Weed seems to have separated somewhat
and even with hard shaking it's coming out in little pieces
of green sea kelp.

The bottle says keep in a 'cool/dark/ place; which has not
always been the case and it's been open maybe a year, so it's
probably past it's prime.

Anybody else get that?

I just diluted with a little water & a hard shake &
it seems to be back
to a flowing liquid.

Thanks

I think you're going to find that worth Organics like this, you'll find they expire a bit more quickly. That's my experience at least. I accidentally left a whole box full of old nutes in my garage for the first few weeks of winter this year and they half froze. Not really froze, but icy. Anyway, maybe someone whose currently playing in a fully Organic set-up could answer better. I think I might try my next group without anything outside the line. I love the Bio-Bud.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
The chemical that Iron_Lion was talking about (I believe) is Paclobutrazol

Those kids at Humboldt County's Own are pretty smart, eh? Not to mention having that "uber kewl" thing goin' on! I'm gonna get me an LED rig and a 'dro system' and run this stuff and the other mixes from the boys.

I mean we are talking about 1/10 of 1% available Phosphorus! And then there's compounds like this one - what a great day in the gardening world!!!

Touching.

CC

MrBreeze911

Not really. I mean, it's not 100% Organic, but it doesn't really bother me. That's like saying if you only used the GO line, but used GH PH up/down, it wouldn't be organic. Not true, it's just not 100% organic. The plants are still getting the benefits of organic nutes. GH themselves recommend Bloombastic as a non-line flower enhancer and last I checked it wasn't fully organic.

As someone who has spent large portions of life as veggie/vegan, the source is what's important to me (if I can afford it/have access), so they aren't using bone meal and stuff like that, which I like. The main reason I like using it is because the plants seem to really like it. I get good results, and I like it better than straight chem nutes. I guess it's just preference. :tiphat:
Dude, I keep hearing great things about bloombastic, but on the other hand wonder why I should get it when there are also so many people saying its cheaper to just mix your own whether its organic or not. Is it worth getting? I think I will try it next season when I do some experiments with outdoors solid hydroponic mediums vs. organic super soil mixes with good compost. Also, Clackamas, you are awesome, thank you for teaching and spreading the truth brother. I saw you interview on the Future Cannabis Project on youtube, and I enjoyed hearing a little history about the pranksters and the Brotherhood of Eternal Love. That is family. What a long strange trip it has been

MrBreeze911

The chemical that Iron_Lion was talking about (I believe) is Paclobutrazol

Those kids at Humboldt County's Own are pretty smart, eh? Not to mention having that "uber kewl" thing goin' on! I'm gonna get me an LED rig and a 'dro system' and run this stuff and the other mixes from the boys.

I mean we are talking about 1/10 of 1% available Phosphorus! And then there's compounds like this one - what a great day in the gardening world!!!

Touching.

CC
I guess that good organically grown cannabis can be cheap and great quality. Do you think organic cannabis is better quality or is it just a matter of having healthy plants? Are any added nutrients necessary during the flowering phase? Have you ever heard of hydrafiber? Is using a soilless medium with a base nutrient solution more applicable in large scale ornamental horticulture nurseries rather than in home medical marijuana gardens?

Latest posts

Latest posts