What's new

Gene Traders Ludlow Mass Sunday Jan 14th

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I don't know what you consider organic Mule, but spinosad is as natural as they come. It's been granted organic status since like 2003 or 2004. I'm with you on the neem though. Don't want that shit anywhere near me. Is anybody else planning on hitting up NECANN Springfield? It's at the end of June the 21st-22nd.

yardgrazer

I think I might hit Springfield, presuming I'm in town and all. Probably not going to get any closer to me than that.

Robney

Hopefully they'll allow seeds and clones and stuff! Kinda far for me, but it would be fun to link up with some of the icmag family!

A note on spinosad: it is organic, but that doesn't mean it can't also be toxic. Neem oil is organic too. If you look at the label, you're not supposed to apply spinosad anywhere near bees or plants that attract bees as it is toxic to bees. It is also toxic to aquatic invertebrates, so you're not supposed to dump it down any drains, and you're supposed to minimize runoff. Also, if you look on the chart on the inside of Captain Jack's you'll notice that theres a limit to how many times you are supposed to apply spinosad during a growing season based on what you are growing. Given that the limit is no higher than 6 applications per season, leads me to believe there is something about using it that can lead to polluting crops if used in excess, and especially so given that cannabis is considered a dynamic accumulator.

I'll go ahead and say I do use spinosad from time to time, only on plants in veg, maybe as they are beginning flowering (only in the first week before any pistils have formed) if I catch a thrip on em. But it's not some completely inert, safe spray. It's 1000000x better than chemical treatments, but still has some degree of toxicity.

Robney

I pretty much agree with Robney, it looks decent, smells nice, but where I differ is that I don't think there's much high there. They boast of super high cannabinoid levels, but, meh? It reminds me of mid kind bud I used to get that looked decent, but you'd smoke a whole bunch and not get much of a high at all. It definitely doesn't look kiefed to me, I dunno.

I should clarify, I don't think it smells nice. I just has a smell. I wouldn't call it dank. And I'm not saying they have amazing highs, just that they do have some effects. And at $300+ an ounce, it's way too overpriced for being so mediocre.

I have a quick question, and I've seen this line repeated before
it's very difficult to use organic soil methods on a large scale.
What in particular is so difficult about organic on a large scale? I figured as long as you were fine with taking loss on the final harvest compared to what hydro yields and paying more upfront for the input material it would be ok. What else am I not considering?

big315smooth

mama tried
Veteran
New England Cannabis Convention. Is normally in Boston or I think Maine? First time in Western Mass. I just found the current exhibitors list and now that I see these companies I think this is out of my league stuff. I'm not planning on opening a commercial grow or anything like that.
https://shows.map-dynamics.com/neccspringfield2019/

outta my league to wish there was convention in north east where they had seed,clone bud and hash

Last edited:

Muleskinner

Veteran
NECANN has seed vendors, but no plants or cannabis. That will change in the future when they allow day-use event licensing for weed sales, probably in the next year or two.

Yes Agent P, I believe both Spinosad and Azadachtrin are OMRI-approved organic pesticides. However organic pesticides are not all safe or desirable, personally those two are not on the list of what I would use on my herb. Gnatrol (Bti) does pass my personal standards for non-toxicity.

I could see using Spinosad to wipe out thrips in a veg crop - my own grow is hobby-sized and it's no problem to just cut down and start over in a situation like that.

Last edited:

big315smooth

mama tried
Veteran
i got feeling mass will be the first to hold a cup in norththeast when the laws lax little more ima short drive to mass

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
NECANN has seed vendors, but no plants or cannabis. That will change in the future when they allow day-use event licensing for weed sales, probably in the next year or two.

Yes Agent P, I believe both Spinosad and Azadachtrin are OMRI-approved organic pesticides. However organic pesticides are not all safe or desirable, personally those two are not on the list of what I would ever use on my herb. Gnatrol (Bti) does pass my personal standards for non-toxicity.

I could see using Spinosad to wipe out thrips in a veg crop - my own grow is hobby-sized and it's no problem for me to just cut down and start over in a situation like that.
Yeah organic is just a marketing. "Organic" to me just means it's made from carbon
biggrin.gif
It sucks about the bees, I definitely used it outdoor last year to clear out something, but it was late enough in the season I don't think we had any bees about in new england. Totally agree on the neem, couldn't pay me to use it. I have used Gnatrol too when doing coco, seemed great product. If NECANN has seeds I guess it can't hurt to hit it up, unless tickets are stupid expensive.

yardgrazer

Hmm, looks like NECANN still has a lot of open booths, hoping that means there'll be plenty of seeds available.

Checked and I'm not going to be out of the country on those dates, so that's a pretty good sign for me being able to go. Hopefully some other obligation won't rear its ugly head.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Hmm, looks like NECANN still has a lot of open booths, hoping that means there'll be plenty of seeds available.

Checked and I'm not going to be out of the country on those dates, so that's a pretty good sign for me being able to go. Hopefully some other obligation won't rear its ugly head.
When I looked they hadn't even sold half the booths, and this is after they pushed the show back from being originally in February I think. Feeling like it's not gonna be super awesome for the first year in Springfield.

I might go if i can get a ride or possibly drive my car, though it has broken down on me several times recently and i don't think i can make such a long trip as springfield is atleast 2 hours away for me, probably more like 2.5 hours.

I was looking at the booths for necann and i know some of the companies (i've used coast of maine soil, great stuff. I know who MCR labs are, etc. but a lot of the companies i've never heard of.

One company i noticed is tom's trimmers because i'm really looking for a reliable/quality trimmer/trimming machine because i fucking hate trimming all my herb by hand. I'm willing to pay $400-$500 for something that is decent. Has anyone had experience with their trimmers? They have one for around $400 called the TTT 1600. If i knew they work well, i might pick one up. If anyone checks them out while they are there (if i don't go), let me know. I'd appreciate it.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Extravaganja 2019 tickets must be bought in advance, no door sales. Northampton on 4/20 of course.

Is Extravaganja supposed to be any good?

For me, the best one so far was Gene Traders at the motorcycle club.