What's new

Gasket Discussion, Comparison PTFE vs Viton vs Polysteel vs Solid PTFE or Envelope ?

Sunfire

Veteran
Yes I agree, thanks for putting in the time and effort roji. Please do keep us posted. And get that high scale production rosin machine going lmao! I wanna come visit this summer!

pharmco

I wonder if some of you have buna when you think you have viton?

Just a possibility! I know that BHOgart has done this in the past, and I would not put it past the packers to not be able to distinguish (black) Viton from (black) Buna.

I thus far have not experienced black streaking with my Glacier sourced Viton gaskets.
I also use PTFE gaskets, but have found them suspestible to leaking and deformation. Lubricating them with alcohol has lead to better success with sealing.

Tufsteel has been even more temperamental (although not deforming), but again, lubing with alcohol seems to help.

I am intensily interested in these PTFE envelope gaskets, with either Viton or EDPM interiors. Sounds like the bee's knees, in spite of my lack of problems with Viton.

Roji

Try boiling in water the used ptfe gaskets that are performing poorly before installation. I hear it helps. Haven't tried it yet.

Roji

Roji, are the EPDM envelopes you have made by rubber fab? It seems from the pictures there is a ring of exposed area. I think if there is any area of exposure the viton envelopes would be better. They have both listed on amazon, same price, ships in 6-10 days.

http://www.amazon.com/PTFE-Filler-T...2-spell&keywords=6"+tricllamp+gasket+Envelope

http://www.amazon.com/PTFE-Filler-T...mp+gasket+Envelope#product-description-iframe

Yes, the exposed area is on the outside of the joint. The epdm core cannot contact the materials on the inside of the joint, where the butane is.

Lefthand

Just a possibility! I know that BHOgart has done this in the past, and I would not put it past the packers to not be able to distinguish (black) Viton from (black) Buna.

Info from: http://hollandaptblog.com/2014/02/2...ary-gasket-material-is-check-the-color-codes/

Buna: One red dot
Sulfur Cured EPDM: One green dot
Peroxide Cured EPDM: Three green dots
FKM (Viton): One white and one yellow dot
Peroxide Cured Silicone: One pink dot
Platinum Cured Silicone: No dot
PTFE (Teflon): No dot
PTFE Envelope Gasket with EPDM Core: Three green dots
PTFE Envelope Gasket with FKM Core: One white and one yellow dot

Much of material sold as Viton is really a counterfeit version and never the same quality as the real stuff. This maybe part of what you guys are dealing with. I would not believe any Viton seals made in China are the real thing without testing.

montroller

Just got off the phone with dwight.

He said that iso should have no reaction with viton but I informed him of our obsevations. He suggested at first it could be the release agents, but mostly likely it's carbon. Carbon, derived from soot. Is used like a fiber to strengthen the material. Like straw in clay or gravel in concrete. The actual polymers should not be leaching as they are bonded. So most likely is naturally derived elemental carbon that we see on our paper towels which might be rising to the surface from the clamping and unclamping of the gaskets. If you smoke flowers, your smoking way more carbon than the ratios we see on the paper towel, spread throughout the entirety of the product produced in that run. Plus the part of the actual gasket that touches the solvent is very little compared to what we scrub. The solvent isn't physically scrubbing the gasket either. I'm feeling safer now.

He said coconut oil should be fine and it will not however condition the gasket because the viton should have no permeation of any kind, which is the point of viton.

I informed him of the current side by side test of coconut oil and iso and he said he's going to do the same thing at his desk.

Any word back from Dwight on his tests? I am curious to see what he found.

flatslabs

Info from: http://hollandaptblog.com/2014/02/2...ary-gasket-material-is-check-the-color-codes/

Buna: One red dot
Sulfur Cured EPDM: One green dot
Peroxide Cured EPDM: Three green dots
FKM (Viton): One white and one yellow dot
Peroxide Cured Silicone: One pink dot
Platinum Cured Silicone: No dot
PTFE (Teflon): No dot
PTFE Envelope Gasket with EPDM Core: Three green dots
PTFE Envelope Gasket with FKM Core: One white and one yellow dot

I get my gaskets from Jet Gasket & Seal out of Las Vegas, here is a picture of Buna, Viton and PTFE next to each other showing the colored dots.

Attachments

• gasket.jpg
    gasket.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 10

cyphaman

So I was thinking a little more about the tests and I don't think my results can truly be valid. Neither gasket is new and one was bought from glacier while the other was bought from Amazon.

I think a proper test would have 2 brand new gaskets from the same supplier.

But honestly it is probably just easier to grab enveloped gaskets or find some PTFE ones that actually work.

True although Im glad to hear that this was the case...I think that we can all assume that a new set would produce more black residue but the fact that yours have been used and still leave smudge marks says it all. No need to risk adding anything unnecessary into the mix.

Envelopes seem to be the ticket!

BrainChild was wondering about TuffFlex too because it might only need 30 in /lbs instead of 50 like the Tuffsteel?

Correct me if Im wrong Regis but maybe this would be a bit more reasonable than the tuff steel, or any further thoughts after using them?

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^ "Envelopes seem to be the ticket!"

I see $100 for some of those fancy screened PTFE gaskets, ouch! If you had an inexpensive reverse envelope PTFE gasket with the outside edge closed and the inner edge open, could you insert a screen, and get a good enough seal on both the screen and SS sanitary fittings?

flatslabs

^ "Envelopes seem to be the ticket!"

I see $100 for some of those fancy screened PTFE gaskets, ouch! If you had an inexpensive reverse envelope PTFE gasket with the outside edge closed and the inner edge open, could you insert a screen, and get a good enough seal on both the screen and SS sanitary fittings?

They have removable screen gaskets already, the problem is the inexpensive part

Roji

You could make a rebuildable screen filter out of 2 3" end caps with 1.5 ferules on them, like I posted earlier in this thread. One time purchase under 100 bucks. I wont be buying any more 130 CAD ptfe screen gaskets. Once they wear out Ill only use the rebuildable.

Sunfire

Veteran
I got gaskets from jet gasket in Vegas too, the website is brewerygaskets.com. that's dwight ' s company. He sent me some samples to play with and I believe it's the removable screen 120 mesh ones made in california and one yellow dot and one white dot. The 150 mesh ones made in Vietnam have only 1 white dot. I have some from glacier that are the same, just one white dot. I'll double check and report back later.

No word back from dwight, he doesn't call me, I call him. I can call him tomorrow and ask.

BrainChild

http://www.garlock.com/en/products/gylon-bio-pro

Now this looks like a proper gasket material!

» No extrusion and no cold flow
» Excellent for all process temperatures and with high temperature fluctuations
» High resistance to almost all chemicals and temperature cycles
» Maintains excellent sealing characteristics under vibration, flange misalignment and high temperature differentials

No idea what it costs.

Edit: just read GratefulOne post about blue PTFE being the gylon, glad to know what the blue color means https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=6886518&postcount=9

BlueFairy

Someone correct me if I am wrong. I was told all the sheets/rolls of the viton material are manufactured in China/overseas. So that means the companies that say "made in USA" are only stamping out the gaskets here in the US. Has anyone found anything different? I suspect the same goes for all the materials the gaskets are made of.

cyphaman

http://www.garlock.com/en/products/gylon-bio-pro

Now this looks like a proper gasket material!

» No extrusion and no cold flow
» Excellent for all process temperatures and with high temperature fluctuations
» High resistance to almost all chemicals and temperature cycles
» Maintains excellent sealing characteristics under vibration, flange misalignment and high temperature differentials

No idea what it costs.

Edit: just read GratefulOne post about blue PTFE being the gylon, glad to know what the blue color means https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=6886518&postcount=9

"GYLON BIO-PRO® seals offer a safe solution with its modified and restructured PTFE material, pre-formed and stress controlled, for all TRI-CLAMP standards. It is dimensionally stable and resists intrusion."

interesting find !

Sunfire

Veteran
Someone correct me if I am wrong. I was told all the sheets/rolls of the viton material are manufactured in China/overseas. So that means the companies that say "made in USA" are only stamping out the gaskets here in the US. Has anyone found anything different? I suspect the same goes for all the materials the gaskets are made of.

Dwight at jet gasket and seal get his from vietnam and california, other people get them from china, I believe newman gaskets are made in the US